Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Flying to NYC soon...can I take my lasers?

It is just a window dressing deter the stupid make work program.

The Israeli system would be unworkable in the US for a variety of reasons....
1) Israel is nearly a homogenous population, so those working security generally have a strong bond to their fellow citizens, which gives them a strong sense of duty and professionalism towards the enfranchised citizens.

2) Its' small in size, has a limited number of airports and routes - this makes it easy to secure both ends, and I think would limit the number of flights from non-israeli flagged carriers also.

3) Its internal security is heavily subsided by foreign aid, which means the security costs have a low impact on taxes and airport fees, which increases popular support.

4) I would also assume the govt in Israel enjoys a slightly higher level of trust from the enfranchised citizens then we in the US have for most elected and appointed officials and the agencies they direct.

And....here....it...comes...
XIDZTwQ.jpg

Very good points TeufelWolf, makes a lot of sense. This was like 3 years ago that this came out and I have seen no significant changes to the US system for the better.

The trust level, culture and homogeneous nature of the population do seem to make the Israeli system unworkable here. In another article I had read, US TSA employees also had issues being trained to observe behavioral markers. Cops do this everyday though. Culture? Mindset?

~ LB

The main issue is politics.

The #1 difference is that Israeli screeners are taught to stereotype, and profile.

Good luck doing anything in the US that could possibly discriminate against someone though.

It is just a window dressing deter the stupid make work program.

The Israeli system would be unworkable in the US for a variety of reasons....
1) Israel is nearly a homogenous population, so those working security generally have a strong bond to their fellow citizens, which gives them a strong sense of duty and professionalism towards the enfranchised citizens.

That is really not the case. While Israeli population is primarily Jewish and muslim, within those cultural subsets, there are many different races. There are more darker/olive skin tones, but aside from that, the population is far from being homogenous, as you would see in say Russia, or Poland, or Iceland.

2) Its' small in size, has a limited number of airports and routes - this makes it easy to secure both ends, and I think would limit the number of flights from non-israeli flagged carriers also.

Israel is roughly the size of the state of New Jersey. Which is far from small.

The airports there are no different from airports you would find in major cities in the US, or europe.

While Israel is typically perceived to be small, and it is, in relative terms to many other nations. It is far from being " small ".

3) Its internal security is heavily subsided by foreign aid, which means the security costs have a low impact on taxes and airport fees, which increases popular support.

Where in the world did you get that idea? Israel taxes it's business, and citizens, far more than the US taxes it's population.

At the same time the GDP relative to size is high, and it also spends more of that GDP on military, security, and defence, than almost all other nations.

The reason why there is popular support for security measures, is that in israel, there is a much higher risk of terrorism. It's not an abstract notion of al queda bogeymen, it's an actual reality of everyday life.

4) I would also assume the govt in Israel enjoys a slightly higher level of trust from the enfranchised citizens then we in the US have for most elected and appointed officials and the agencies they direct.

Also not the case. Politicians are generally regarded to be shit everywhere the world over, and this is certainly the case there, as it is here.

I feel your responses are based more on gut feeling and popular opinion than fact. Look up GDP, military sizes, demographics, etc, before you make comparisons.

Where's that SBA? Are you there yet?

~ LB

No, I'm not leaving until June. As much as I'd like to whip out my massive wand in front of the in-laws, I think it's best to leave the MS-SSW at home. My SO would freakin' kill me if we were delayed in anyway...She's a New Yorker, and they travel like frickin' pros man...I don't even wear lace up shoes to the airport anymore!

No, I'm not leaving until June. As much as I'd like to whip out my massive wand in front of the in-laws, I think it's best to leave the MS-SSW at home. My SO would freakin' kill me if we were delayed in anyway...She's a New Yorker, and they travel like frickin' pros man...I don't even wear lace up shoes to the airport anymore!

Smart. When I go to Federal buildings I just where pj's and bring my keys and a wallet :)

tsa-gate-rape.jpg

~ LB