Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Flatscreen PC monitor: illumination died

This afternoon my PC monitor broke: I can see the image very faintly under certain angles, it's obvious that the backlighting is not working any more. I've taken it apart, but didn't get very far: I got it separated into the plastic housing, a PCB with lots of components and a big frame with the display - I did not try to get into that.

Is there even a chance to fix that in a DIY manner, can it be repaired or is it not worth it? (the device is 7 years old but was fulfilling its job quite satisfactorily).

In case you're wondering: I'm typing this on my work laptop.

I suggest just getting a replacement screen. Backlight is really hard to repair.

I don't know if you can get a replacement for a 7 year old model.

Often there are issues with the inverter, and not the lighting strip itself. However, unless there's anything obviously damaged and easy to fix, it's not worth trying to repair an LCD, especially if it's so old.

You can try disconnecting the CCFL from the interter and powering it with something else. If it still lights up than your inveter is dead, otherwise the lamp is dead.

Both cases it's probably best just to get a whole replacement panel like niko says, unless there are replacement pieces available for it cheaply

dr-e--fyi there is a large diffraction grating in between the layers of the screen as well as a nice piece of plexiglass.--;p--hak