Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First time shooting my ebay SSY-1 1064 nm YAG laser - video

Here is a video of a 1064 nm SSY-1 YAG laser in a chrome auto timing housing. Bought this on ebay for about 200 dollars just to get the SSY-1 out of it for another project, of course I had to try it out tonight before disassembly :)

The guy who built this did a great job, there is a red laser diode sticking on the back end shooting through the YAG rod for aiming, batteries in the handle to run it too and a trigger circuit board with capacitor all internal to the gun.

I will wait to disassemble until I start working on the other project, might try to focus the beam down to a tiny point to get a pop and flash of light in the air alone, I've seen that done in other videos with these.

Last edited:

Looks like fun, interested to see how well you can focus to a tight spot over distance

Reactions: GSS
I've never seen a video of a SSY-1 focused to a tiny spot firing into plastic, ought to be far more impressive and shoot deep pits or holes into a thin sheet instead of just surface ablation. I will see what I can do to take a video of that later.

Just looked at the video... Nice Laser and housing.
When I saw the burn spot on the fabric Laser Googles
case and the shots onto the plastic case... all that
came to mind was... Don't you have a ceiling fan...:thinking:
:crackup:

Jerry

BobMc

~~~~~~~~

~~~all that
came to mind was... Don't you have a ceiling fan...:thinking:
:crackup:

Jerry

Too funny, :crackup:

Best wishes with your build Alaskan, great looking host, shows a lot of promise.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice buy Chris, but the real question is, can you still time your car with it? :crackup:
Seriously though, thats a pretty cool "bug zapper" you have there!

Jerry is right, without seeing the burn marks on a ceiling fan, or it didn't happen! :D

Last edited:
Ha, at least i turned the goggles case over to shoot it on the bottom. The thought did occur to me it was a bit like our old friend and that it wasn't something i should be marking up.

That was pretty cool, Chris. I didn't expect the timing gun to be so shiny. Looks like someone spent a lot of time polishing it. I still think it will do better in a lab style enclosure with maybe a single flash lamp and power supply to drive it. Thanks for the video.

I surprised myself last night shooting at some black foam, immediately engulfed in flames... oops...

Was that foam on a ceiling fan...:whistle:
Got a Video or Pics of those flames...;)

Jerry

NICE.................
Will it work on birds nests....:eg:

Jerry

Last edited:
as you see, one must be careful what you shoot a laser at, more video later, i'm trying to edit that one showing this, but having problems understanding how to do so on youtube.

That bird nest dude is surely our 'italian' friend who i suspect is really an older friend all this time. If you ban him, he is predictable in what he will do next; always the hydra act.

Edit, adding video:

BOOM! loud crack like a firecracker inside, opened the gun and all the magic smoke got out :(

https://youtu.be/Qg4hBA44TM8

Last edited: