Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First post first question

J

jangles

Hi I'm new here, 1st post! I don't have a laser yet. I have a couple of questions I bet you can answer. I read
that if you use anything over 5mw you should wear glasses, is that just in case you point it in your eye or do you need glasses even looking at it shining on the wall? next question, what's an IR filter and do I need one? I'm thinking of the nova extreme 15mw just to screw around with.
thank you all!! :-?
J

Laser goggles are to protect you in case the beam from your laser should somehow find its way into your eyes. Looking at the reflection on a wall is not dangerous.

An IR filter is generally not required unless you are using a green, yellow or blue laser with an output over 50mW. (Personally I still recommend obtaining one, but almost all high-quality lasers have them built-in).

As always, reading some posts on the forum regarding the topics you're interested in will help you out a lot.

jangles said:
Hi I'm new here, 1st post! I don't have a laser  yet. I have a couple of questions I bet you can answer. I read
that if you use anything over 5mw you should wear glasses, is that just in case you point it in your eye or do you need glasses even looking at it shining on the wall? next question, what's an IR filter and do I need one? I'm thinking of the nova extreme 15mw just to screw around with.
J

....i still don't own a pair of safety glasses, but then again i'm a complete retard....
just treat your laser like you would a gun....because it is dangerous and it can hurt people.

in terms of red lasers, it depends on the power, and what your shining it on, if your shining it on someting black, it prob won't bother your eyes a bit to look at the dot, but if it's white, you'll get a headache along with sun spots fairly quickly.....
and if it's reflective...well, thats just dumb so don't point it at it.
but just shining it on the wall a couple of feet away won't hurt your vision....hasn't bothered me yet.
i don't think 15mw is going to hurt you too bad though...

just get some glasses..............

Mohrenberg said:
[quote author=jangles link=1227076512/0#0 date=1227076512]Hi I'm new here, 1st post! I don't have a laser  yet. I have a couple of questions I bet you can answer. I read
J

....i still don't own a pair of safety glasses, but then again i'm a complete retard....
just treat your laser like you would a gun....because it is dangerous and it can hurt people.

in terms of red lasers, it depends on the power, and what your shining it on, if your shining it on someting black, it prob won't bother your eyes a bit to look at the dot, but if it's white, you'll get a headache along with sun spots fairly quickly.....
and if it's reflective...well, thats just dumb so don't point it at it.
but just shining it on the wall a couple of feet away won't hurt your vision....hasn't bothered me yet.
i don't think 15mw is going to hurt you too bad though...

[highlight]just get some glasses..............[/highlight][/quote]

I can't believe you don't have Laser Safety Glasses....  :eek: :eek:
I'm taking back my +rep..... ::) ;)

Jerry

:) it's ok.......I BROKE MY LASER AGAIN!!

all i got now is an IR diode that burns lol

Mohrenberg said:
:)  it's ok.......I BROKE MY LASER AGAIN!!  

all i got now is an IR diode that burns lol

Ohh.... well as long as you have Broken Lasers... You're safe... ::)

OK... OK.... OK.... You can keep your rep..... ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Switch

I don't have any goggles either.A pair is more expensive than any of my lasers.And when I'm playing with them I like to see the beam and dot, so even if I had goggles I would probably not wear them most of the time.If I had some I would probably do some more burning lol. ;D

Kage

jangles said:
Hi I'm new here, 1st post! I don't have a laser yet. I have a couple of questions I bet you can answer. I read
J

If you just stick with the 15mW, and use it responsibly, you'd probably be fine. But at the higher levels that burn, light matches, and so on, it would be dumb not to have them and wear them for indoor use! Few people that get into this hobby stop at 15mW... ;)