Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Laser... Need Help Deciding

So, I've been lurking for a while, but my head is spinning...

Some people like certain websites while others despise them. I have tried looking around, but with my VERY limited knowledge (RE: nil), I can't really decipher a good answer.

What I want is a bright green laser that's under $200, preferably 200mW. I want it to be bright enough to have a nice visible beam at night. Lighting matches and whatnot would be cool too.

The main thing on my wish list is to have a strong, visible beam with really good range.

Thanks in advance!

Hi CBStrick, welcome to the forum :wave:
You did not fill out your location. That will help a lot as some companies cannot ship to certain countries.
You chose the correct color green for a strong, visible beam with really good range as it is the brightest to the human eye. It is a bit like Ford vs Chevy on what company to go with.
You state that you have been lurking for awhile so you have no doubt seen the warnings to stay away from the super cheap companies because quality will be substandard. You could have a member build you one or go with one of the well know companies that are mentioned here all the time.
Be sure to get the correct laser safety goggles! Have fun and be safe :)

Hi CBStrick, welcome to the forum :wave:
You did not fill out your location. That will help a lot as some companies cannot ship to certain countries.
You chose the correct color green for a strong, visible beam with really good range as it is the brightest to the human eye. It is a bit like Ford vs Chevy on what company to go with.
You state that you have been lurking for awhile so you have no doubt seen the warnings to stay away from the super cheap companies because quality will be substandard. You could have a member build you one or go with one of the well know companies that are mentioned here all the time.
Be sure to get the correct laser safety goggles! Have fun and be safe :)
Thanks!

I'm in the U.S. (Alabama). I was about to pull the trigger and buy the 200mW Mantis (green) from biglasers.com, but then I saw a thread on here saying they were knockoffs from another brand. Unfortunately it seems that the mW I want is likely going to put me over budget...

However I have also read that a lesser wattage would still provide a solid beam visible at night from any angle.

I would rather overshoot and be surprised by performance rather than buy what I think should be adequate, then be disappointed...

I have a lot of learning to do...

I think I've decided to go with the Rayfoss RF532-200mW-FLX unless someone can talk me out of it...

GSS

Welcome also, :) If you have $200 dollars to spend that opens up alot of options, im not at the point of reccomending a certain laser but it if sounds to good to be true, of what ive seen on this forum (it is). Dont pull the trigger yet let the vets steer you in the right direction, It does get dizzying doesnt it! :wave:

Last edited:
If you have a big budget like that, you could also get a 520nm laser from a member on here. This wavelength, which uses a direct diode instead of DPSS is stabler, and in most peoples opinion a better looking color (more forest green). (IIRC, gozert, a member on here, is selling one for quite a nice price in a very good looking ehgemus host) Edit: Nvm, only 70mW. Also, sci-fi lasers (sflasers.com) sells very nice 520nm lasers too. Both worth checking out.

Last edited:
This question that I have should help you out also CBStrick
To people who have or used both 532nm and 520nm lasers of around the same mW output, especially side by side at the same time.
I believe the 532nm usually has a smaller diameter beam so does that make the beam appear brighter? I realize that it varies from laser to laser, model to model, lenses and so on but just as a general comparison or is there really not that much of difference between the two wave lengths to notice it?
Thanks for the help :)

Encap

have a look at laserbtb --- they manufacture their own lasers.

Rayfoss just resells lasers made by laserbtb/SkyLasers and other companies.

Fo $200 or less you can get either large host or smaller host version 532nm green 200mW or higher

See for larger model PL 520nm 532nm 100-1000 and for smaller model HL 532nm 50-300

Last edited:

Pman

If you go with laserbtb there's a 6% coupon off here somewhere. You can also look in the B/S/T section too but I would ask someone with a decent amount of REP first if they think it's a good deal.

Went with the 532nm 200mW Rayfoss FLX.

Can anyone recommend affordable safety glasses for the 532?

Thanks!

Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 800-1700nm OD5 Laser Safety Goggles

These are pretty good. they cover 532nm and IR that comes out of most greens.
I would advise to not go cheap when it comes to safety. You only have one set of eyes!

edit: just looked at your purchase. I just got a 532nm on ebay for 8$ shipped(showed up in less than a week) with that same host. Not to bring you down or anything, but just for your info.
I have yet to meter it but it will burn when focused.

Double edit: metered it the best i could. It was hard to get it to unfocus enough to meter. It was a lil over 60mW. Most advertised lasers put out at LEAST half of actual power.

Last edited:

Encap

Actually laserbtb dosen't manufacture their lasers at all, their just re-sellers :)

-Alex

Who do you imagine does manufacturer their lasers?

laserbtb is the 100% owned online marketing/sales shop arm of:
Shenzhen Keyuan Co.Ltd,
Bulan Road , Room 508, Bldg 3;
Ke Lun Te Ganti Tech. ,
Shenzhen,
Guangdong CHINA
Otherwise known as SKYlaser

They say directly on the laserbtb web site :
About Skylaser
"laserbtb.com is an online shop dedicated to the sale of portable laser goods developed and manufactured by us!
By cutting out the middle man, we are offering you the lowest prices on the highest quality laser products. In addition, our products manufactured with state of the art equipment and are rigorously tested before being shipped to our customers. To show our faith in our lasers, we offer the longest warranties in the industry.
We currently own and operate two laser production plants specializing in: Fiber coupled laser modules, high power lasers, and high power LDs and PDs. Our factories have been certified by the FDA and have been assigned an accession number for the legal import of lasers to the United States. While laserbtb.com focuses on the direct sale of portable laser products, we actually manufacture much more than just portable lasers. If you are looking for additional laser products not found on this site, feel free to contact us!"

Last edited:
laserbtb is the internet maketing and shop arm of: Shenzhen Keyuan Co.Ltd, Bulan Road , Room 508, Bldg 3; Ke Lun Te Ganti Tech. , Shenzhen, Guangdong CHINA---That is SKY

They say directly on the laserbtb web site :
Our factories have been certified by the FDA and have been assigned an accession number for the legal import of lasers to the United States.

Buy from them while you can, I think only their <5mW and their lab lasers are legal to import, yet most will still get past customs. They have been on the FDA import alert list for over 4 years. Import Alert 95-04

Alan