Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Contact Polymer Cleaner Question

Ricker

Hey everyone, so recently I bought some of the marvelous First Contact cleaner, Photonic Cleaning Technologies - Atomically Clean Optics and Mirrors . This stuff is expensive but works almost flawlessly! And the almost is where the question comes in. See, as I use this stuff to clean my diode windows from a recent extraction, it works wonders but on some (well, most) of the diodes it leaves a little bit of the polymer left over right up against the wall of the window on the diode. Basically what I was wondering is if A. someone has experienced this and found a way to get rid of this left over substance, or B. if I turned on a, say, 7 Watt diode with a little bit of this on the edge would it be fine and just evaporate or ruin my window? Thanks for your time.

P.S. I've added quite a lot of drops to the window, AND on one of the diodes I've redone it 5 times trying to get it to "grab" the residue, which in the instructions is all it says to do if this happens, thanks again for your time!
Nate

attachment.php

Here's one of the diodes with the LEAST amount of residue left.

attachment.php

An idea of what's going on.

attachment.php

Attachments

• lensresidueRSD.jpg
    lensresidueRSD.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 207
  • diodesfcrsd.jpg
    diodesfcrsd.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 274
  • firstcontactrsd.jpg
    firstcontactrsd.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 216

Maybe a shot of compressed nitrogen through a tiny nozzle to get it loose?

It's used for bicycle and car tires because the molecules are larger than oxygen and leak out slower, our air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% everything else, well basically, but you want the gas without any moisture/humidity. So I would not use an air compressor unless you can be sure the air discharge is moisture and oil free.

Last edited:

Ricker

Maybe a shot of compressed nitrogen through a tiny nozzle to get it loose?

It's used for bicycle and car tires because the molecules are larger than oxygen and leak out slower, our air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% everything else, well basically, but you want the gas without any moisture/humidity. So I would not use an air compressor unless you can be sure the air discharge is moisture and oil free.

Thanks for the idea RC! I might give it a go.

Really? No one else has ever used this stuff, OR has gotten this problem? :thinking: Thanks in advanced!

D

Deleted member 16589

Man I love that stuff. I have the same problem when cleaning the KTP crystals on Green Laser pointers. I Have yet to find a good way to deal with that other than trying again. If its leaving pieces Apply it thicker I always layer it once and then a few seconds layer Before it dries add a second layer.
Corners grooves and little gaps are its kryptonite.

Just a heads up Keep that stuff out of light best to wrap the bottle in aluminum foil When not in use. Also I was told by another forum member he has his wrapped in foil in the back of the fridge. If you have the refill bottles best keep them cool for longer life.

Mine has lost its color from not keeping it in total darkness (and maybe temperature) but it still worked last time I used it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a small paint brush to clean delicate lens/windows/acrylic lens.

Actually I try to never touch an acrylic but the little paint brushes are all that I get away with, its like a tiny lens pen as the tiny bristles are splayed at the ends, but I would try a small slightly stiff brush to break that stuff loose, I don't think you will hurt the edges, the center is the hot spot of that diode window, all the energy passes through the center of that window.

This was my 1st ever NUBM44 and it was running at 5 amps, it popped in the first couple days, I must have got something on it when testing different lens, but you see where the power comes out, that is the super critical spot, so I would clean all of it but don't scratch the center.

If you scuffed the edge cleaning it I suspect it would be ok as long as the integrity was good, a surface mar near the edge would likely not be a problem, but I am spitballing here. But the junk around the window edge seems un hurt, heck it could have been scotch tape residue, I don't know, it is interesting though huh?
Any gunk around the edges that could outgas may be a problem, but a cleaning scuff would likely be ok as long as the center is clear, but I am spitballing here.

The very center is what burned, that C crack if a heat fracture from the center burn, that's what I think. I don't think any light passes through that gunky ring around the edge.

close44pop_zpsgrxygg8n.png

Capture_02242015_173838c_zps0yzho7cb.png

50999d1460640819-first-contact-polymer-cleaner-question-sany0482.jpg

51001d1460640819-first-contact-polymer-cleaner-question-sany0484.jpg

51002d1460640819-first-contact-polymer-cleaner-question-sany0485.jpg

Attachments

• SANY0482.JPG
    SANY0482.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 177
  • SANY0484.JPG
    SANY0484.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 188
  • SANY0485.JPG
    SANY0485.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 284
  • Capture_02242015_173838c.BMP
    774.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
If I can't get the dirt/debris off of a lens or diode window, I have used these model detailing brush/swabs for the job as a last resort.
They are very firm compared to a regular cotton swab "Q-tip", but are a similar material, and I haven't had one scratch anything yet. The narrow pointed tip gets into corners well!
When you actually need to touch the surface, and nothing else works, I'd give these a shot. I found these at a hobby and craft type store.

Here is a photo of one shown below a standard size cotton swab for size comparison.

1128c9b8-72fd-4fed-b60e-7e4944f99508_zpso5ewpn7y.jpg

That's a good idea Bowtie, that 1st contact should clean release, and being at the edge a nudge with that soft but firm point should do the trick.
Where do you get those?

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey Red, IIRC, I picked them up at a store called "Hobby Lobby". If want some and can't find any locally, let me know.

Last edited:

Ricker

Yes that looks perfect! I'm heading there during my lunch it's right up the road from my work. Thank you Bowtie!

Pman

Last edited:

Pman

Man that is expensive stuff. How long will a $50 bottle last? I'm assuming you use just the tiniest dab of it.

Important note, heat shrink cap those cans before going to work on a block.

I just ordered more from ebay, it's handy stuff.

51042d1460725905-first-contact-polymer-cleaner-question-sany0487.jpg

51043d1460725905-first-contact-polymer-cleaner-question-sany0488.jpg

Attachments

• SANY0487.JPG
    SANY0487.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 163
  • SANY0488.JPG
    SANY0488.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

Pman

That looks just like the stuff I bought a couple months ago Red. Lots of handy sizes.

D

Deleted member 16589

Man that is expensive stuff. How long will a $50 bottle last? I'm assuming you use just the tiniest dab of it.

It lasts fairly good depending on the size of your optics you are cleaning.

IMO worth every penny and then some. :beer:

Edit: ricker try fanning the fibers out across the first contact Rather than all bunched up in one spot.

I ran out of the string long ago I just use scotch tape to pull it off But if do it that way be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ricker

Well, I've used an 8th of a bottle and have cleaned seven diodes once, and about 4 three more times! :)

It lasts fairly good depending on the size of your optics you are cleaning.

IMO worth every penny and then some. :beer:

Edit: ricker try fanning the fibers out across the first contact Rather than all bunched up in one spot.

I ran out of the string long ago I just use scotch tape to pull it off But if do it that way be careful.
I'll give that a go!