Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First completed build! And a learning experience

trephanation

I just souped this laser up with a G2 lens to replace the 2E-G and thought I'd add some more pics:
image1(2).jpeg
The intense green beam lights up the entire sky on camera!

image0(3).jpeg
Focused to infinity at about 100 ft. Makes a massive splash on the fence.

Thanks for the lens Gary!

I just souped this laser up with a G2 lens to replace the 2E-G and thought I'd add some more pics:
View attachment 68103
The intense green beam lights up the entire sky on camera!

View attachment 68104
Focused to infinity at about 100 ft. Makes a massive splash on the fence.

Thanks for the lens Gary!
very nice! by the way, I just saw this post. I actually do have a BDR209 and using the 530ma driver from Survival and its in a C6 host. i built it back in 2017 and it still runs great! but Paul is right, these things are very tempermental, i may have just got lucky. I was getting exactly 801mw with my G2 from DTR. however! ive noticed some power loss over the years of about 10% and it has a hard time going back up to 801mw so i may be leaving it on too long with little heatsinking. so if you do this dont leave it on more than 20-30 seonds at 530ma. I always push mine too hard by leaving it on 90sec which is stupid but i figure if i blow it up, the 16x BDR is pretty cheap so. lol!
also i built a PLTB450B around the same time in 2017 and that thing is a beast! its doing 2.1W on a G2 or 1700mw on 3E lens @1.8A. great diode really. much better than the M140s that are so common. hope this helps :)

trephanation

very nice! by the way, I just saw this post. I actually do have a BDR209 and using the 530ma driver from Survival and its in a C6 host. i built it back in 2017 and it still runs great! but Paul is right, these things are very tempermental, i may have just got lucky. I was getting exactly 801mw with my G2 from DTR. however! ive noticed some power loss over the years of about 10% and it has a hard time going back up to 801mw so i may be leaving it on too long with little heatsinking. so if you do this dont leave it on more than 20-30 seonds at 530ma. I always push mine too hard by leaving it on 90sec which is stupid but i figure if i blow it up, the 16x BDR is pretty cheap so. lol!
also i built a PLTB450B around the same time in 2017 and that thing is a beast! its doing 2.1W on a G2 or 1700mw on 3E lens @1.8A. great diode really. much better than the M140s that are so common. hope this helps :)
Thanks Richie. I don't think I'll be making a BDR build for a while, but I have a PLTB450B that I completed maybe two weeks ago with it's own thread. Lifetime17 supplied the host and heatsink and it's a hell of a laser.

This particular S4 NDG7475 laser is holding up nicely, and it's absurdly bright. 🤤

Thanks Richie. I don't think I'll be making a BDR build for a while, but I have a PLTB450B that I completed maybe two weeks ago with it's own thread. Lifetime17 supplied the host and heatsink and it's a hell of a laser.

This particular S4 NDG7475 laser is holding up nicely, and it's absurdly bright. 🤤
yes I absolutely love PLTB450B. its tough as nails :)
im glad your NDG7475 is holding up great. those things arent cheap lol

Hi S,
Yes but not to Garry's products, I won't do that , thats him and he deserves the Kudos . I just modyify the measurement to suit the customers needs. Will not dupe Gary's product no way. Gary's a standup guy behind his products.
Rich:)

trephanation

Wait you make heatsinks for the Survival Laser hosts? That's pretty sweet actually.
I just wanted a beefier heatsink for my s4 as the stock extended sink that came with it was getting hot pretty quickly, so I hit up Rich. The sink he did for my Osram stays cool for a scary amount of time

Snecho

I just wanted a beefier heatsink for my s4 as the stock extended sink that came with it was getting hot pretty quickly, so I hit up Rich. The sink he did for my Osram stays cool for a scary amount of time
Oh cool, so the new copper heatsink fits right into the S4 but is just even longer?

trephanation

Oh cool, so the new copper heatsink fits right into the S4 but is just even longer?

Yup, I’ll post a comparison pic up after I install it when I get home from work

Edit: Here we go, here's a pic of the newly installed sink, next to the old one for comparison:
thumbnail.jpg

It's just slightly more substantial :)

Last edited:
Hi T,
Glad you like extra mass is always good in certain applications , like this one.
Copper is king besides silver , Aluminum has its purpose also and not to be ruled out. Aluminum with a copper core ies a plus to.
Nice pics appreciated much , Get a jewelers polishing rag from Wally mart there cheap and do the job well.
Oh sometimes BIGGER is better ....🤘
Rich:)

Last edited:

trephanation

nichia ndg7475.jpg
Battery extension tube from SL installed...
IMG_4275.jpg
High quality Samsung cells selected and charged...
nichia spot size.jpg
The spot size at 75 ft in broad daylight... This thing is truly magic!!

Hi T,
Great job on the big green 520. Those guys run hot but beautiful . Build a green and dont compromise on your selection of heat sinking materials.
Once agin great job... Thanks for the pics to they are great.
Rich:)C957FE04-C700-4C1F-B417-402A6A59970B_1_201_a.jpeg

trephanation

Hi T,
Great job on the big green 520. Those guys run hot but beautiful . Build a green and dont compromise on your selection of heat sinking materials.
Once agin great job... Thanks for the pics to they are great.
Rich:)View attachment 68383
Agreed, the greens that anybody could build on their own far outclass any of the various common green lasers on the market not only in terms of the diodes you can use but also, like you said, the importance of a copper/aluminum heat sink with preferably as much mass as possible for the given host. You're not gonna find real quality sinks on fulminex and laserpointerpro ;) Thanks again for the heatsink, Rich.

Also for anybody else who is going to build with this diode, use a modest current and good quality batteries. That will help ensure the diode has a long life. We have to be careful and responsible with these diodes as it's pretty clear that we're not really supposed to have them, as has been made evident by companies starting to manufacture these diodes in multi-die arrays instead of as individual pieces. The big companies are making these things for large scale projectors and medical equipment, not for fools like us to stick into handheld units and point around our backyards :p

Last edited: