Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Blu Ray tonight :-)

;)

Built my first Blu ray tonight used a DX red laser housing. Had to sand off a little off the part that holds the diode. With the lense screwed all the way in it was still not focused well enough to burn. diode to lense distance was too far apart. Works great at 85mA. Took it out into the snow tonight looks cool with water fog glowing. Very different than my greenies.

daguin

aknovaman said:
;)

Built my first Blu ray tonight used a DX red laser housing. Had to sand off a little off the part that holds the diode. With the lense screwed all the way in it was still not focused well enough to burn.  diode to lense distance was too far apart.  Works great at 85mA.  Took it out into the snow tonight looks cool with water fog glowing.  Very different than my greenies.

Congratulations. It's a great feeling, eh?

You've already dealt with this one by sanding down the focus ring. If you want to avoid this with the next one, make a small tool with which to press the diode farther into the module. The diode needs to be slightly recessed into the module. This should be done with both violet and red diodes.

Peace,
dave

How do i get the diode pressed further in?

I pressed to pretty firm in a vise with the back of the can.

What does the tool look like/ I can pictur eit but how do you keep it straight in a vise using the can and a tool?

daguin

aknovaman said:
How do i get the diode pressed further in?  

What does the tool look like/  I can pictur eit but how do you keep it straight in a vise using the can and a tool?

You'll just have to look around and experiment. You need something that is less that the diameter of the back of the diode but with a hole in the middle for the pins to set into. I use the end of an old compressed air fitting. Someone else here uses the adjusting screw out of a bicycle brake cable. I think Kenom made one from bar stock.

I press the diode flush using the back of a module and then switch over to the compressed air fitting to push the diode in all the way.

Peace,
dave

Here you go , bike brake adjustor ;)

As it is a smaller diameter than the flange of the LD it can push it further in.

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• fit_diode01_002.jpg
    fit_diode01_002.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 83
daguin said:
[quote author=aknovaman link=1229745251/0#2 date=1229747462]How do i get the diode pressed further in?

What does the tool look like/ I can pictur eit but how do you keep it straight in a vise using the can and a tool?

You'll just have to look around and experiment. You need something that is less that the diameter of the back of the diode but with a hole in the middle for the pins to set into. I use the end of an old compressed air fitting. Someone else here uses the adjusting screw out of a bicycle brake cable. I think Kenom made one from bar stock.

I press the diode flush using the back of a module and then switch over to the compressed air fitting to push the diode in all the way.

Peace,
dave[/quote]

I made a tool out of an rc radio antenna to remove the diode too.

--hydro15

Ref

aknovaman said:
;)
Took it out into the snow tonight looks cool with water fog glowing.  Very different than my greenies.
Gah! There has been thick fog in my area ALLLL this week, constantly. Im waiting for my BR I just purchased from daguin, but it would have been great to have earlier. My red DX labby and green pointer made for a great temporary Christmas display, coming out of my Christmas tree, out the window, across the neighborhood onto a light pole (don't want the FAA @ my door..lol).

Benm

I've never had problems getting diodes into aixiz modules just using the back of the module as a press... but if need be, its perhaps possible to use a little ring as a shim of sorts to get the diode in deeper.

daguin

Benm said:
I've never had problems getting diodes into aixiz modules just using the back of the module as a press... but if need be, its perhaps possible to use a little ring as a shim of sorts to get the diode in deeper.

You can certainly get them into the AixiZ that way. However, your focus will be easier if the diode is pressed in all the way. Especially if you like to use the silver "focus rings." Plus, it helps to ensure that the diode is "straight" (or square) with the module.

Peace,
dave