Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Finally... I own a 2W 577nm!

So let's talk balloons. The 50 pack arrived today, and I did a quick test across the room in my usual setup. Aimed the laser at the balloon just above threshold, and I am unable to bring it anywhere close to max power before it pops with the controller I have, so that's no fun.

Will wait out the rain and try again tomorrow when I can do this outside - it's not a real distance test if it's not either struggling or if it's too easy still even at a property line.

kecked

See if you can pop a bike tire in under 30 sec than a car tire. Those are for sure not easy tests. Focus and do the razor blade test. See how fast a radiometer will spin. See if you can ablate paint. Look at the spectrum and see the ir line used. Try to q switch it and double into the UV. Pack it up and ship to me to repeat tests for verification 😀

I have something to show on the video side. Still learning how to correct on video without my usual tools. Not perfect or nearly up to snuff with my photo editing, but this should satisfy most with the balloon pop request.

I also have a couple more pics to show. Not sure how this one ended up looking the way it did, but I thought it was interesting

Also played around a bit with an old lens from binoculars.

That was fast! Even across the yard, but the beam specs of these DPSS lasers are always pretty good. I have some black balloons around here from years ago. I have felt the need to pop any more. ;)

Oh so you bought it. Cool. Howd i miss this? Welcome to the 577 opsl club! I should run mine more often. Its loud though. The fan is a beast.
Yessir. The fan is deafening up close. I also need to poke around in it and clean some glass and possibly replace the beam expander. This has more splash on it than I'm happy with... just need to find the courage to crack open a $2000 laser and not screw anything up.

Haven't gotten to meet with my photography buddy yet. Also need to get a second pair of goggles before I do... not many options are on the market for 577nm

I’d be happy to go through it for you if you’d like, though honestly it’s actually probably best to leave it as it is.

As for the splash light you likely won’t be able to get rid of that. At these power levels even the tiniest of infractions to the glass is going to show. A cotton swab alone scratches enough to show. It just comes with the territory.

Yeah that's kind of what I figured. I have some cleaning solution and microfiber cloths from edmund but even then I don't trust myself because any small speck of dust can scratch a coating and leave it worse off, and for someone with coal heating dust is always a problem