Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Few questions

Hello everybody! My knowledge at lasers is poor so I'm looking for some answers. Please help me if you can.
1. Why do I need to put laser diode to laser module?
2. Is 5mW laser strong enough to burn a match?
3. I need to put driver to laser because it increeses his strength or?
That's all I want to know right now, I'm trying to build my first laser, and it doesn't have to be something strong so any tutorials at welcome. :yh:

-Regards, Dominik

Stix62

Hello everybody! My knowledge at lasers is poor so I'm looking for some answers. Please help me if you can.
1. Why do I need to put laser diode to laser module?
2. Is 5mW laser strong enough to burn a match?
3. I need to put driver to laser because it increeses his strength or?
That's all I want to know right now, I'm trying to build my first laser, and it doesn't have to be something strong so any tutorials at welcome. :yh:

-Regards, Dominik

1) It has to be sat in something to help take away the heat - either a module and then heatsink, or pressed directly into a heatsink
2)No
3)...because it regulates the power supplied to the diode so you don't kill it.

tutorials and info is here to be searched for and read ;)

cheers, stix :beer:

Last edited:

Blord

You need to focus the beam in a concentrated point. 100mW should do the trick.

Don't forget that you will absolutely need laser safety goggles if you are going to light matches. Any laser that you use indoors, are looking at the dot up close for burning etc. or if there is a chance of reflections you will need the goggles/ glasses.

I would recommend a 100-200mW focusable Red laser if you want to light matches. Green lasers put out IR (infrared light) which is invisible and needs to be protected from as well. With a 100mW red laser you won't have to worry about IR but you can light matches with the help of focusing the laser beam to converge at a small point a short distance in front of the aperture.

Remember you need a different kind of laser safety goggles for each color of laser, although some are broader spectrum. These would be an example of a good pair to protect from red lasers.

Eagle Pair® 190-400nm & 580-760nm Laser Safety Goggles

Keep in mind that you don't need to have 1000mW laser to have a major permanent vision impairment / blindness from an instantaneous hit to the eye. The veterans on here use the sharper bullet analogy, as in a laser that is 1000mW vs. 100mW or 30mW, they all can cause blindness. Anything over 5mW is not eye safe in that an accidental hit or reflection will permanently affect your vision faster than you can blink and can leave blind spots or worse damage forever for the rest of your life.

Here is what can happen if you don't wear your goggles.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

Last edited:
I wanted to light firecrackers for new year with a laser instead of lighter but after reading that injury, I will just build 5mW laser and don't mess with strong ones :)
Thanks.

As long as you have good goggles it can be safe, but anyone around you nearby that could get hit by a stray beam or reflection must wear them as well, although that can be pretty expensive for multiple pairs.

There is no harm - pun intended in starting out with <5mW lasers. Once you get used to how to handle them safely, and learn more about how to be safe around higher mW lasers get something a little more powerful and some goggles and you will feel more confident having practiced safe laser handling with your lesser powered laser first.

Last edited:
jesus_facepalm.jpg

I dont give a f**k about your and jesus' facepalm...
I wish I saw you while you were beginner.

Last edited: