Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FEELER CNI 561nm 5mW pointers.

The situation is still up in the air....but...

It just once again drives home the point that handhelds and specialty pointers are rapidly disappearing as the world shifts to lab lasers again to improve control and quality, while helping to minimize the number of idiots misusing them, and help make them more cost prohibitive again...Or so the way the government seems to see it. Pissing off a few thousand people is pretty minimal vs the outlook of security of the much greater numbers of others who just don't care, or even can see it as a threat. Companies are just losing interest in caring about them. One lab laser brings in tons more revenue than a handful of pointers by far, let alone an industrial contract for them or more.

It sucks, I've turned to lab lasers but I know tons of people love handhelds and pointers simply due to their greater portability. Sure, you can still make your own but some people would rather buy from a company(like me in the past)!

Slowly and slowly more rules, more restrictions and more control is being imposed and I personally don't like it.

-Alex

Sent PP refunds to jimmy and brucemir...I still owe one other buyer money too. I will find that.

This sucks. I was not prepared to deal with this...I expected this GB to go so much better than this. I just haven't had the time to fight the FDA and CNI...and now I'll be lucky to get my money back.

D

Deleted member 16589

Sent PP refunds to jimmy and brucemir...I still owe one other buyer money too. I will find that.

This sucks. I was not prepared to deal with this...I expected this GB to go so much better than this. I just haven't had the time to fight the FDA and CNI...and now I'll be lucky to get my money back.

Does CNI not know they were seized.
Did the guy I told you to call ever reply.

Edit if these pens get back to CNI those who still want to can try again and this time make sure CNI does not skip the paperwork.

Last edited by a moderator:

Encap

CNI News:
" ■ Sep. 30th, 2015 CNI officially announced that laser pointer and portable laser series products for SLA purpose would be no longer exported to the U.S. from Oct 1st, 2015. The incoming SLA orders from American customers will be rejected. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused!"

D

Deleted member 16589

CNI News:
" ■ Sep. 30th, 2015 CNI officially announced that laser pointer and portable laser series products for SLA purpose would be no longer exported to the U.S. from Oct 1st, 2015. The incoming SLA orders from American customers will be rejected. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused!"

SLA= Surveying Leveling and Aligning :beer:

Encap

SLA= Surveying Leveling and Aligning :beer:

" 3. Question: What design features does CDRH consider specific to SLA lasers?

Answer: Certain design features allow SLA lasers to be used in open spaces or in unrestricted environments to determine and delineate the form, extent, or position of a point, body, or area by taking angular measurement, position or adjust parts in proper relation to one another, or define a plane, level, elevation, or straight line. These design features include:
a.Compact size (i.e. small, lightweight)
b.Battery power
c.Ergonomic design to permit hand-held use
d.An aperture in the laser product's protective housing to transmit laser emission into open space
e.Portability to permit use in open spaces or in unrestricted environments
f.Features that utilize the laser’s straight line emission for surveying, leveling, or alignment

Generally, FDA will consider these design features as evidence that the laser product was designed for one or more of the uses listed in the SLA laser definition at 21 CFR 1040.10(b)(39). Therefore, FDA will generally consider laser products with these design features to fall under the definition of an SLA laser product and to be subject to the requirements identified in 21 CFR 1040.11(b) regardless of whether such laser products are promoted for SLA laser uses. "

From: Surveying, Leveling, or Alignment Laser Products - Draft Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16589

^Dang, that's a scary thought. We've gone from tons of manufacturers to now only a few and that list seems to be shrinking down everyday.

Is there a reason they did comply. Was it the lack of safety features or due to them being too often over 5mW's?

-Alex

mostly paperwork oriented stuff. lazy company not wanting to file stuff properly. handhelds over power, non conformant labels, the list probably goes on and on.