Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Farthest your laser has gone for sure?

I could see my ~200mw Blu-Ray on some low flying clouds. It looked like a blob inside the cloud. Keep in mind I'm on the beach, so we get some low clouds at times. I couldnt guess distance though.

Here is a picture of my PGL's beam terminating on a hillside about 1.7 miles away (no beam expander).
This is the furthest distance I have gotten a picture of, but I have seen the spot on a mountain 9.5 miles away with the 10X beam expander (in clear conditions). I'll have to get some pictures/videos of it.

DSC09992a.jpg

DJNY

I guess you can see the dot of a herc650 with a beam expander more than over 40 miles away! We have to ask "Justin" to do a test :)

I just read the thread linked above. A Q-switched green laser with a few Joules output should be easy to find surplus, and many amateur astronomers have 30" diameter telescopes these days. There's even one installed permanently for amateur use on Fremont Peak here, south of San Jose. I just wonder if seeing a return off the retroreflectors is possible with a CW laser?

I'll bring 10W of green in a near perfect beam if you can get me in there :D

I got my 250mw to go 12.3 miles with a 15x beam expander. It was pretty cool.

I'll bring 10W of green in a near perfect beam if you can get me in there :D

I keep trying to catch a glint from the reflectors in my 16".

Haven't seen one yet...

Saw the disco ball in space though..

Maybe I can use J-track and point my laser at that, and have a better chance...

Well, I did it accidentally, I was adjusting the beam expander when my finger moved into the beam center. I had a black "hole" on the one side of my finger and there was a small flame. Let's just say I am not making that mistake again.

my 200 mw 532 was seen 35 miles away and the fire department came knocking on my door in amazment. I had it out the window at a 15 degree angle just enough to clear the trees on the land below mine.

Trevor

my 200 mw 532 was seen 35 miles away and the fire department came knocking on my door in amazment. I had it out the window at a 15 degree angle just enough to clear the trees on the land below mine.

Your post caught my eye because I thought it said something about clearing land mines.

My Optotronics pen has been seen from 2-3 miles out, but that's the longest confirmed. I need a beam expander. :p

-Trevor

Rafa

What they wanted?

DJNY

We need pics here more than statements :whistle:

They were amazed at the fact it was coming from my house. It was in Hartville Mo and they saw the beam in Mountain grove which is 35 miles east by highway so as the crow flies I don't know maybe 25 miles. It was all on the two way between the Sherrif's of Wright county and the fire department. I was told I wasn't in trouble, just that they were amazed at the light.