Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FAIL THREAD!!!!

That is not entirely true for tasers as a few people have died from being tased. Heart problems, I would assume.

You're being a bit of a jackass here.

Thousands of people die by falling in the shower every year. Would you also take issue with the statement "showers cause minimal harm"?

No, but unlike everyday situations, being tased is not a choice that one makes and it has been the direct cause of fatalities. If pointing this out makes me a jackass, then guilty as charged. :na:

Har. :D Newbie here, just had to check out this thread and glad I did.

I'm gonna' put this here because this is a sale fail tale.

I've been searching this site for a while trying to find out which green laser vendor to shop. I'm new to lasers so I need some tips. I'm about to go with Optotronics but only after I've gotten some help from anyone willing to give me a lead.

Z-Bolt lost the sale and good for me. That Karen chica handed my name and email over to USPS without my permission, and after misreading my request, and when I called her on it, she went nuclear and cancelled my order. I can share a screengrab of the emails (properly redacted) should anyone care to be converted from skeptical to assured. I'm glad she saved me from making her richer. KWIM?

So anyway, I'm a bird hobbyist. I like attracting cardinals, juncos, chickadees, finches and song sparrows and a few others.

I do not want cowbirds, or a swarm of birds turned hogs. Cowbirds, the avian mafia. :mad: They use mafia retaliation tactics on their victims who fight back against their brood parasitism.

But. They are protected--pro-tec-ted!--under the Migratory Bird Treaty. They are genociding the Kirtland Warbler but the government is giving 'em cover. Which is overly wordy for "I can't fire anything stronger than a vulgar tirade at them."

So. I turn to lasers, because I heard about agriculture and airports using them. Great, except they use mega expensive industrial guns to scare them all off. I just want to irritate a few in my backyard.

The red laser spooks the cowbirds when aimed at their feet. But only when overcast. Enter the green laser candidate.

:undecided: Or not? If I shouldn't bother getting a pricey green laser at all, then I'd appreciate knowing that now.

(BTW, is it just me or is the laser company dB link page broke?)

Nice place you folks got around here, hope to be a regular.

Many thanks!

Not Really A ZFanboy, Clearly ;)

Last edited:
Many thanks H2Oxide, believe it or not, I did try searching "bird control" among other phrases and came up goose eggs. I'll go say hi in Intro.

More for anyone else who comes along looking for bird solutions: I checked out each of the links kindly provided and while there is a lot of conversing, there is very little by way of applicable solutions for my situation. Most solutions, actually, all suggestions deal with evicting all the birds present with things like fake owls, loud noises, etc.

My red laser pen can be pointed at a select bird while not bothering the others around it. I need something exactly like that, only in the (allegedly) easier to see in the day green laser. My trouble is I need help determining which green laser is in fact visible in daylight, visible to the birds and visible to me (I need to see it to aim it). Or some other color of laser that is even better than green in daylight but doesn't cost the ranch.

Many thanks all.

Last edited:
If your investment is capped at $60.00, I think you will find there is no solution to your problem. You have a rich man's problem on a poor man's budget. Also using lasers to control birds in the USA without a specific permit to do so, may run afoul of the law.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Somehow, I don't think doing a burnout with a train has quite the same results. :eek:
A phrase like "melting the rails" just doesn't sound as good as "laying some rubber", does it? :yh:

ml8CgbP.jpg

Context: This happened in Savannah, when an RCO (Remote Control Operator) tried to move a train without realizing that the brakes were hard on. This spot was where the pushing locomotive created so much friction that it burned into the rails.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
:wtf: Seriously. In a weird way I'm rather impressed by the indents.

Last edited:
Somehow, I don't think doing a burnout with a train has quite the same results. :eek:
A phrase like "melting the rails" just doesn't sound as good as "laying some rubber", does it? :y
Context: This happened in Savannah, when an RCO (Remote Control Operator) tried to move a train without realizing that the brakes were hard on. This spot was where the pushing locomotive created so much friction that it burned into the rails.

I think somebody may be losing their job over this. Seems like a rookie mistake. I wonder how long that stretch of tracks is down until it can be replaced. :eek:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
You're probably right, and now that I think about it, I'll bet the drive wheels on the locomotive didn't fare much better; all in all, a very costly mistake! :yabbem:

That story about people being fed dog meat in Bali made me sick. And the fact that none of it is regulated makes it so much worse. The way they hunt down stray dogs and bludgeon or strangle them is cruelty on a major scale. Thanks for bringing this to the fore.