Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fact about the lasers, is it true??

Hello you all !! I have a tricky question :D ...
When you buy a laser lets say a 100mw one ...Will it give 100mw right out of the box ?? Or does it have a filter the reduces the power if so ?..!! What can i do to get full power ? Or how can i remove such a filter ???
Thank you ! (have a good one !!)

sinner

Well its too tricky i dont seem to conclude an answer for you buddy !!
Maybe you can be more clear, But for now i think you are asking whether a $5 pointer rated as 100mW will give you same output as a $110 Pointer 100mW..
The answer is "You get what you pay for" and NO there are no filters to remove, if there were trust me my friend we wouldnt be spending loads of money to get the good stuff!!!
You can also read a couple of threads in the Companies Section

Last edited:
No i actually mean if a 100mw laser will give 100mw output of force .?? Cause i have heared that some lasers have some kind of filter or thing that reduces the power for about 70% ?? I dont know im farily new to the laser world so thats why im asking..(; to clear my mind :D
And yea you are right you get what you pay for (;

No, there is no such thing. Sounds like people who have no idea what they are talking about not letting it stop them from talking about it.

In the past there were cases where you could pot-mod a laser to a higher output, at the risk of killing the laser by overpowering it, but those days are largely gone. Most lasers are at or near their limit and not easily increased in power.

Some 532nm lasers have IR filters, which "takes away" a bit of power, but those are usually higher-end, more expensive, higher powered lasers. Low powered greens usually don't have IR filters.

Ash

You can remove the crystal set from a 532nm dpss and you will have an Infrared laser that is usually around 3 times more powerful, but will also blind you very very quickly as 808nm (IR) is pretty much invisible.
It's hardly worth it to ruin a working greenie to make an invisible one.

It also depends on whether you want total (all wavelengths) power, or just visible power. The IR filter blocks energy (light) that you can't see. If half of the energy (as an example) is infrared, the beam won't appear as bight as a laser that outputs the majority of its power as visible light. It boils down to outputting energy, or sending out a bright, impressive beam.