Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

F#CK Windows 10

Sometimes I swear Microsoft is deliberately trying to cause as many problems as they can get away with without it being provable that they are trying to cause as many problems as they can get away with.

14 system fonts?
2 control panels with settings for common elements divided between both panels?
White title bars so you can't see where the window can be dragged?
Taking every single task which is simple and logical in earlier versions and making each one take more steps, be illogically placed or not placed anywhere?
How about regular failures due to the forced updates?
Resetting all of your settings and deleting certain programs from an update?
Breaking random shit that should never break, after an update.. like the mouse pointer ceasing to exist, or sound breaking.
Replacing OEM sourced drivers with Microsoft drivers, especially the video drivers.
Eternally frustrating search which cannot be an accident.
Patches that break something else.

Sorry. I could never run that piece of shit and I feel sorry for my clients who do need to run it when I need to repair it.

Classic shell, Shutup 10 and Blackbird are helpful but should not need to exist.

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
When they were designing Windows 10, 90% of the effort went into how to make crapware and garbage like 50 versions of Candy Crush auto install and very little effort went to actually making useful features.

I still can't stand the layout of Win 10. Have it on one computer
only for testing Comms with our EagleEye Data Logging software.
For every day use I use Win 7 that is being phased out.
Linux may be my next step.

Jerry

I still can't stand the layout of Win 10. Have it on one computer
only for testing Comms with our EagleEye Data Logging software.
For every day use I use Win 7 that is being phased out.
Linux may be my next step.

Jerry

I still use Windows 7 on my dual boot systems or when I need to run Windows on a particular machine and still recommend running 7 to anyone who has no particular need to run 10 (DX 12 being the only reason I can fathom).

They deliberately crippled 7 so it wouldn't run on current hardware then lied about why it won't run on current hardware (it will fail during the install when it tries to update on Kaby Lake and later Intel processors). However, I am typing this on a dual boot machine, a Latitude 7490 with an 8th gen Kaby Lake Refresh i7 running Linux and... Windows 7 with full updates (security only, Microsoft "security" sabotage KB updates automatically blocked, no "feature updates" [read, feature=sabotage] ) that took 5 minutes to modify the Windows 7 Setup script to allow it to install and update with no issues whatsoever. They deliberately crippled it, then bald face lied about why it wouldn't work saying that they can't make updates backwards compatible, when in fact, they are.

Microsoft firing their entire testing staff before 10 was developed was dumb as hell if you assume that their goal is to produce quality software but it clearly shows what matters to them.. and what doesn't. Clearly what appears to the consumer as a dumb as hell decision meant something completely different to Microsoft, who apparently would rather give users the middle finger with botched updates, crap reliability, fresh bi-yearly frustrations to rip your hair out over and a confusing, unproductive GUI so they can profit off of their data tracking and savings from not having to pay testers.

I personally feel like there's likely a secondary reason for firing all of their testers, of being less oversight of code that they would rather not have seen.. but that's just a personal hunch.

I still can't stand the layout of Win 10.

I swear to god it's so bad it's as if the OS itself is an attack on the public at large.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Whilst win10 isn’t great, let’s not forget win8. I can actually use this os. Win8 was terrible beyond belief. I prefer win7 or even better win xp. If they modernised xp, it would be the best.

gazer101

Lets also not forget how every windows 10 update breaks their native "Windows 10 Mail" app... had to spend 1.5h to completely reinstall and setup my many synchronized email accounts 😤

BrownLuther007

Microsoft Office - Okay guys, we need some smooth transition between opening the start menu and let's kickstart the edge. F@3k the rest.

The best part is, Windows 10 is supposedly the last major revision of the OS. It's already so clunky compared to more barebones OS, I can't imagine what it will look like in 5 years.

Any corporation which grows to the size they have screw themselves with being unable to either respond quick enough to what is needed, or bogged down by internal BS so much they can no longer provide good customer service, this is how the competition will eventually overtake them, then in time, they suffer the same problems.

I've got two laptops. One running Windows 7 and the other Windows 8.1. I tried Windows 10 a few months after it came out, but don't think it lasted a day before I switched back to 8.1. I got very used to that one and even when they stop updating it, will keep it.

BlueQ

I run Windows 10 Edu edition on all my Desktop and Laptop computing hardware. Works fairly well for me. I really like Bitlocker with Pre Boot PIN to encrypt my devices, I found it a lot easier to manage than on Linux. The number of memory corrupution vulnerabilities has massively been increased on Windows due to DEP (Data Execution Prevention), ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization), CFG (Control Flow Guard), ACG, especially Stack Overflow vulnerabilities are non existent in 2020 on latest Windows 10 build. They also setup quite a comprehensive static analyzing and fuzzing environment to automatically test new build and any code commit by their developers running on their internal Azure Cloud. In terms of security, I am quite happy with it. Ofc. There are still problems in terms of default privacy settings and pre installed apps on Home editions.

Molky

Windows 7 was much better. Or I'm not used to windows 10