Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Eyesight question

Hey guys, I am not sure if this is even directly related to lasers but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Through past 6 months I noticed my eyesight is getting tad worse. I noticed that I could not read the blackboard from middle of (huge-ass) classroom anymore.
Anyhow, at first I was going to contribute that to having over my laptop and PC for 27 hours a day (sometimes 30 :p).

But it occured to me that I've been playing much more with lasers, especially since those 445nm lasers came out and my latest 12x laser and stuff. I was just wondering it it's anyhow related.

More importantly:

The other day I was trying to see the blackboard and noticed that it's not simple "out of focus" image, as when your eyes adapt to half meter focus range with excessive computer usage.

It's more like distorted image preventing me from reading.

Out of some reason, I rubbed my eyes and opened them wide and wow, I was seeing crystal clear to blackboard and could read the smallest of numbers as exponents (it was math).
Through about half minute, things got to old settings.

I came to a conclusion that my eyes are producing too much of that liquid which covers your eye's lens. When I rub my eyes, I appear to squieze out the excess liquid (I can feel it on my fingers), and I see perfectly clear like I used to before. I always managed to fully complete those tests where there are smaller and smaller letters each row, always 100%.

I don't think I'd be able to do it again without rubbing my eyes now. I never had the problem before.

I am not even sure this has anything to do with lasers. Just asking if anybody is experiencing similar things around high powered violet and blue lasers (so we could rule that out/in).

anselm

I don't think this is laser related, but my medical expertise is nil.
Where I live, periodically you will see a van transformed into a simple optician's "lab" parked on town square.
It's not there all the time, but at least once every year, so since what you describe doesn't sound urgent...
They check people's eyesight, for free, and then tell you either "it's good" or "come to my office for more exams"
This is how I know about my very slight astigmatism.
It's not a very thorough check, but it's better than asking on internet forums and it's free.

Don't they have these free screenings in croatia?

And no, I've never experienced what you describe.

Rvisual1.jpg

Last edited:
D

Delorean Geek

I had that exact same problem(and I don't mess with laser pointers, never took an eye shot, etc).

It sounds exactly like a classic case of astigmatism....especially if you have been straining your eyes a lot lately. I would be seeing just fine than blink and everything was blurry, like a film over my eyes. If I blinked again or rubbed them it was gone...until the next blink. My advice is to take a break for a few days from heavy eye use like the laptop, reading, watching tv, anything that would cause eye strain. I know you must use your eyes some, just don't overdo it.

My job involves a lot of close up work and eye strain and I even catch myself squinting without realizing that I was doing it.

PS: I wear contacts, and my last visit to the doctor my doctor gave me a pair designed for astigmatism, which helped a lot.

Last edited:
You're getting older, and if you try to focus too hard you can generate excess tears. That will make things blurry until some of it evaporates. Happens to Me as well, and I have had Lens implants, so I know it's just an issue with focusing too hard instead of letting your eyes focus more slowly.

My 0.02

Anselm, nope we have nothing like that at all.

It appears you guys mention astigmatism a lot...
Googled.

Well, guess I really should leave the computer alone for a while huh? I knew it...

I'll let you know if anything changes.

anselm

Instead of that van, sometimes opticians offer a basic check for free, you know,
so they can sell you glasses afterwards.;)

Anselm, I can get my eyes checked, just not sure it's for free.

Leo, nope. Well, define prolonged. I haven't made an IR laser for long time now.

Prolonged: Headashes/eye pain because of IR lasers, Yag output or unfiltered green output,
OR
long time exposure without any pain, around >40 hours total exposure with a high irradiation

eye check here in brazil is free (long time waiting, 5+ hours) or paid $7 = 15 minutes wait :p

Last edited:
40 hours of exposure? Hell no.

I guess it's simply from staring into this LCD screen for basically all my life.

Will stare more into lasers from now on ;)

Oh ok. Commonly the IR blurs the eye lenses, that is a private research that I had access but if you do not had a exposure thats ok. Just beware and contact the eye-doctor :)

Hope you get better dude!