Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Eye hit with 100mW, 532nm, class III green laser.

Look pretty much like mine. Yeah, the sun does look very round.... and that's about all you can see with these. I think it will be better than the pin hole in the box, though.

I hate reading these threads--
Not good for ANYONE.
I hope you were not counting on a pity party.

bad way to start here BTW

only thing I would sell to you would be safety glasses ...for lasers--in your case green lasers.

best luck to you--we will not forget you...no rsvp wanted

WIsh I could see the eclipse, I did see a partial one a couple years ago in Anchorage. When I accidentally hit the sun with the telescope I was trying to find it with the sun spot filter in the telescope, couldn't get the thing aimed at the sun, looking all over, couldn't hit it with that dark filter in. Then I got the bright idea to remove the filter and slowly move the telescope towards the sun, once I started seeing the sky get brighter, I would know I was near it and put the filter back in and steer the rest of the way. Nope, bam! Hit in the eye. Everything had a pink tint in that eye for three days, then slowly went back to normal. Only have the night vision problem where sensitivity is down by close to half in extreme darkness when my iris hasn't adjusted to darkness yet, once my iris opens up or I adjust to the dark, I can't notice the problem very much.

I was trying to find it with the sun spot filter in the telescope, couldn't get the thing aimed at the sun, looking all over, couldn't hit it with that dark filter in.

The trick to lining up the sun in the scope is to use it's shadow on the ground.
Point the scope towards the sun (only with the solar filter in place) and watch the shadow the scope casts on the ground.
When the shadow reaches it's minimum, that is, the shape of the scope's shadow is at it's smallest, you know the body of the scope is perpendicular to the sun, hence it's pointing to the sun.
Never, under any circumstance should you look at the sun through a scope without a proper filter.
That is, the filter needs to be at the front of the scope, the objective.
Don't ever use those cheap Chinese knockoffs that fit in/over the eyepiece, they don't work and are just as dangerous as looking through the eyepiece without a filter at all because
they can crack at any time from the internal heat and instantly blind you when you least expect it.

Be safe and enjoy this wonderful event on 21st August.
I'm hoping you all have clear weather.
I have to wait for another 11 years before we get a Total Solar Eclipse here, directly through Sydney.
Maybe you guys can visit and I'll throw a few shrimps on the Barbie.... :beer:

RB

Last edited:
Wish I had someone to tell me how to do that 47 years ago. It was a cheap telescope, small 2 inch diameter one, if that.

<100mW, 532nm. Class III green laser pointer [as labeled].
Someone aimed it at a piece of rough plastic that i was holding and the beam was reflected to my eyes for 1 sec. Will this cause injury?
His distance was 1 meter away. Piece of plastic was 40 cm away from my eyes.
4 days ago.

My current symptoms:
Simple floaters/afterimages specially in dark areas.
Hazy eyes with strong/bright colors.

I went to Ophthalmologist 1 day after exposure.
He said my retina and fovea are ok.
visual acuity is normal.

Will these symptoms fade away?
First.... One question......
Why were you in the vicinity of a powered
up 100mW Laser without proper Laser Eye
Protection :thinking:

It would have been nice if you had introduced
yourself to the Forum Community in the Welcome
section and told us a little about yourself.

As has been stated numerous times.... We are
not Doctors nor can we diagnose you... See
a professional and heed their advice.

Wish I had someone to tell me how to do that 47 years ago. It was a cheap telescope, small 2 inch diameter one, if that.
47 years ago... you wouldn't have listened...:eg:

Jerry

Last edited:
Ha, I still have 20/15 vision, even at my age, but reading close up, nope!

I have always had severe myopia, so I've never has good far vision, but if I remove my glasses, I can focus on anything four inches from my eyes. So, I rarely need magnification to see small things.

25 years ago I could focus that close, it was great when working with small parts!

My eyes are going.. making lots of complaints (now) about fine print and blinding headlights etc --is it all in my head?? maybe maybe not... but that IS where my eyes are...if you are getting 'flashed' by oncoming cars.... you need to do something about your damn headlights!!

IMHO we have a duty to keep this thread DERAILED.. it serves no purpose and makes us ALL look stoopid!

I often wonder about both my vision and my hearing-- perhaps I have spent way too many hours dealing with lasers and up front or on side stage at too many big concerts (I was, in another life, a professional photographer)--ANd a few thousand hours in Houston clubs til 4AM listening to EDM at high volume.

now==it takes me all night long.. to do what I used to doall night long.

Last edited:

diachi

I have always had severe myopia, so I've never has good far vision, but if I remove my glasses, I can focus on anything four inches from my eyes. So, I rarely need magnification to see small things.

-2.75 with -0.75CYL and -3.25 with -0.50CYL, I feel you. Anything past about 1.5ft is a blur, not even arms length away. Stuff is super sharp up close for now at least! :D

It's funny that because I was in school in the 1950s that it wasn't until I was in second grade before they realized I had a vision problem. My daughter inherited my poor vision but I had her checked at age three. My second grade teacher told my parents she thought I was retarded because I couldn't see the chalk board....but, being a little kid who didn't know any better, I didn't realize everyone saw things more clearly than I did. I feel for kids who grew up at the turn of the 20th century. How many smart kids were labeled stupid because they couldn't see?

i went through third grade THREE times, they thought i was retarded, then someone finally figured out my inner ear eustachian tubes were blocked and i couldn't hear worth a damn. I ended up being 17 years old in the 9th grade before I quit high school to join the military, then got my GED and went to college to get a degree, caught up OK, but being in first grade so many years in a row, my self esteem was nil for many years after leaving high school.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
It's funny that because I was in school in the 1950s that it wasn't until I was in second grade before they realized I had a vision problem. My daughter inherited my poor vision but I had her checked at age three. My second grade teacher told my parents she thought I was retarded because I couldn't see the chalk board....but, being a little kid who didn't know any better, I didn't realize everyone saw things more clearly than I did. I feel for kids who grew up at the turn of the 20th century. How many smart kids were labeled stupid because they couldn't see?

Damn Paul, it sounds like you're talking about my experience in grade school, only I didn't realize that I couldn't see the same as everyone else till I was in third grade.
Once I got glasses, I found out that there was a whole world out there that I'd never saw so clearly!

I'm sure glad that things like sight and hearing are monitored more closely now, as you said, how many smart kids missed out on an education because they went undiagnosed!

Wow, Chris. What state were you in back then? To have them go for so very long without catching something like that is unforgivable. Your early years could have been so different had just one teacher suggested you be checked. My teachers didn't catch on at all. It was my parents who figured something was wrong when they told them I was retarded. My parents knew better as I was reading at an early age and had grasped concepts like the nucleus of atoms and electrons by age five. I guess it was my pediatrician who actually figured it out.