Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Explorations at the extremes

Materials science makes so much possible, I hope we see a lot more discovered and put into use in our lifetimes.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
What's interesting about that, is it's on the very edge of what we call 'material'. Manipulation of plasma to act as laser optics is a fascinating prospect. It may be possible to eliminate traditional optics soon from extremely high power lasers. Also these 'optics' would be dust-free.

Edit: Found this article from a couple of year ago. Plasma optics could help fusion.

Last edited:
What's interesting about that, is it's on the very edge of what we call 'material'. Manipulation of plasma to act as laser optics is a fascinating prospect. It may be possible to eliminate traditional optics soon from extremely high power lasers. Also these 'optics' would be dust-free.

Edit: Found this article from a couple of year ago. Plasma optics could help fusion.

Material as it pertains to us is :
  1. the matter from which a thing is or can be made.
2. relating to, derived from, or consisting of matter

Plasma is one of the 4 fundamental states of matter.

So is matter, even an element alone not material ?

When if ever is a plasma not matter/material ?

Edit....
Ions and free electrons are matter as they occupy space and have mass so the only question is are ions and free electrons in a plasma " material " and I would say yes at least in the sense that material is matter.

Something like photons of light that are energy that exhibit matter like properties are fascinating and I wonder could we one day utilize some sort of energy mirror or energy field that exhibits matter like properties, but I wouldn't put any plasma into that category.

Last edited:
Material as it pertains to us is :
  1. the matter from which a thing is or can be made.
2. relating to, derived from, or consisting of matter

Plasma is one of the 4 fundamental states of matter.

So is matter, even an element alone not material ?

When if ever is a plasma not matter/material ?

Edit....
Ions and free electrons are matter as they occupy space and have mass so the only question is are ions and free electrons in a plasma " material " and I would say yes at least in the sense that material is matter.
22503.jpg

Let there belight

Interesting article, but still theory at this point. Will have to wait to see if it pans out.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I said that it was on the edge of matter not that it wasn't matter.

I said that it was on the edge of matter not that it wasn't matter.

Yes I know you did, I was just thinking out loud a bit and also about the transition of matter to energy.

Maybe energy could be made to convert to matter for a short moment and used to do something like reflect a beam of light, but I was thinking about using a very powerful laser to push matter already held in a very hot plasma over the edge and start a chain reaction, not a new concept I know.

It's a theory of mine that maybe specific frequencies of electromagnetic radiation will be better than others at stripping away electrons from different matter/material, or maybe it just needs to be higher such as x-ray or gamma ray, I hope we get to see.

Last edited:
On the cutting edge we are. Good Info ! Thanx ...dArpa likely already has one !! or several. In truth, we are just beginning to understand reality
Hmmmm.... Hopefully, we will not suffer the same fate as the Tralfamadorian's… MMMMmmmm….POOOoooooooffff !!

Attachments

• Tralfamador pic.png
    Tralfamador pic.png
    275.6 KB · Views: 1
Hmmmm …..Vonnegut !!

Ya luved him....or ya hated him...I thought he was a morbid genius !!!! Vonnegut was a POW in Dresden in WW2....and survived the Firebombing !!

See;

and;

SO....Let's talk Dresden !!!! Get off yer butt,......and Research it....then report back and YOU tell me what you think !!!

So it goes....So it goes !!! War is HELL....and Evil is Evil....We can moralize all we want....but...I guess ya had to be there....and grave decisions were and had to be made !!! I make no judgment....I have no right to do so....but....it is a very interesting aspect of WW2 !!!!

The movie "Slaughterhouse 5 " Wow.....just wow....now THAT was out there !!! It left an impression on me....that lingers to this day !!

Anyway....sorry for the Off Topic.....I blame.....er….Paul !!!!

CDBEAM

Hey Paul...THIS is serious stuff :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::unsure::unsure: MAYBE !!! Hmmmmm….Think about....My fellow " Rocket Scientist's "....So....we poke a hole in the fabric of Space/Time....WHAAAATTTT ? Hmmmm….What is poked....CANNOT be " Unpoked "... ???? What if there are.....errr….consequences ????

Meanwhile.....Our entire reality....leaks out this " Poke/hole ".....and....just like the Tralmamadorian's….the Universe goes " Pooooooof "..... So it Goes !!

Note: Do NOT request that I offer a more " Scientific Explanation " ….NOT in my Wheelhouse !! ...Hmmmmm.....SO....We are on the " Edge of Matter....hmmm....to...." Does in matter if we are on the Edge ? " is about as scientific as I will get on this topic !! o_O

My point is....That if the " Multi-Universe Theory " is correct....THEN.....in SOME universe....maybe ours...this little "poke"....may result in
a Big " Poooooof " Who knows ????

Ouch....My head hurts...Too much thinking on " Multiple levels, in Multiple dimensions " hahahaha

CDBEAM

Last edited: