Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Exceeding maximum current of Sharp diode

lostbeam488

I recently bought a sharp gh05c01a9g 520nm diode on eBay for $18. I am going to order the host bundle from survival lasers, and I am not sure if I should use 1.5a or 1.8a. The data sheet says absolute maximum 500mw @1.5a, however the eBay seller (techhood) lists it’s as 700mw @1.8a. Will this decrease the lifespan of the diode significantly? I know a lot of people here tend to exceed the maximum ratings on laser diodes to get more power, and I wanted to know at what point it causes significant damage.

At rated current these diodes last thousands of hours, I just bought a 525 nm diode rated for far more than I had seen before at many tens of thousands of hours, but if pushing them to higher output perhaps the life may be reduced by many fold, but even if 100 times less life, considering how much you would be using it in a pointer, I'm not sure that is such a big deal. I believe I read somewhere if the temperature the diode is run at is 10 degrees higher its life is reduce by half, and conversely if run 10 degrees lower, doubled. Perhaps if you have enough heat sinking to keep the diode 10 degrees or more lower than the maximum rated temperature this may help counter the effect of running the diode at higher current.

Read this for better info:

How to Improve Laser Diode Lifetime.pdf, attached.

I'd love to hear about failures of this diode when pushed hard too, did you try asking techhood?

Attachments

• How to Improve Laser Diode Lifetime.pdf
    797.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: