Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Enchanted Beams Thread

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Looks good sir, that's a lot of glorious green you've got there; that large copper heatsink ought to keep you running cool. :cool:

Eracoy

Looks good sir, that's a lot of glorious green you've got there; that large copper heatsink ought to keep you running cool. :cool:

It gets warm quicker than you might expect. At about 9W of power going in to the module/driver, and only <1500mW out, you are going to be dumping a lot into it. I've found that three minutes would usually be too much of a duty cycle for it, and I mostly keep it much lower than that. Maybe in the future I can find room for a TEC and fan in my builds ;)

Very nice build, Eracoy. Yeah, these greens are highly inefficient. They have a fairly high Vf which causes them to spend a lot of power on waste heat. Especially if you push them hard. What current did you set it to run at? Increased current will also push the Vf higher. It's best to use a large copper heat sink for handheld lasers.

BobMc

Those are some glorious beamshots Eracoy. Yes, that's a whole lot of green photons being thrown around. They are a sight to see. Well done and keep the beamshots coming, always a nice thing to wake up too. :thanks: for sharing and :gj:

I can't add much more than what Jeff, Paul and Bob said Eracoy.
Very nice indeed.
Love the beam shots as well.

RB

:beer:

diachi

I totally woke up at like 2:30 AM when my heater stopped heating, and i was surprised to see one of the very few instances of fog we get in the area. The air is usually dry and pure enough to make a huge difference in beam visibility vs other places, so it was a rare chance. Grabbed the 6 lasers on my desk, and went out into the cold. Totally left my camera with the scopes in another building though:cryyy:

Photos didn't turn out great without a tripod or decent camera, but it was at least cool in person with that much beam visibility and the foggy landscape.

Here's what I caught with some quick S7 shots:
imgur.com/a/P4GKI

Anyway, room is warming back up, so I need to try to get back to sleep. :p

Edit: 532nm,520nm, 670nm, 650nm, 473nm, 445nm

Pictures look good! :beer:

I'll need to find a decent place to take outdoor laser pictures up here (sort of hard with the airport being so close, I'd need to go a ways out of town). We get some wicked ice fogs in the winter, not sure how well the lasers will hold up when it's that cold though.

Few beamshots...
Huh, what a night! So much amazing wonders, I could only stare them my mouth open. Auroras, Close Encounters revisited and all kind of free entertainment provided by nature.
Mothership didn't answer this time neither.. I May need to check my morse code or do I have to build 4W RGB.. Hmm... :thinking:

Wonderful shots as always! :beer:

So there was a really misty evening tonight so I took a random beamshot of my chinese 532nm 5mw that turned out to be the best beamshot out of the ones I've taken yet. I know that most of you think that it's pretty bad, but hey, everyone's been a Newb at some point. Oh, yeah one more little secret.
MY SANWU POCKET 445NM 500MW IS ARRIVING THIS WEEK! It's my second higher powered laser, had a cheap ~90mw blue but that one broke down pretty quickly. Expect to have a review and lots of beamshots coming :p
G2qb4F.jpg

BobMc

That's not to bad SSilver44 for a 5mw 532 at all! What did you take it with? Was wonder what your shutter speed was. Anyways, well done and thanks for sharing.

Hoping to see some pictures and beam shots of your new Pocket. :)

Last edited:
The pic was taken with a good ol' iPhone 6. It usually does pretty decent job with photos, but it really sucks at night-time shots.

Last edited:

BobMc

Still pretty impressive with a smart phone. I've heard so many good things about the new cameras. Still get a :gj:

Few shots...
Weather has been terrible over three weeks, snow is gone almost entirely due heavy rain.. :undecided:

_1210246.jpg

_1210247.jpg

_1210248.jpg

_1210250.jpg

_1210251.jpg

_1210266.jpg

_1210273.jpg

_1210286.jpg

_1210288.jpg

_1210289.jpg

_1210291.jpg

Encap

BobMc

Pretty impressive Arctic! I like the way you got the red and the green to show up on the same picture.

Like the Magneto color also, never seen that color in a beam shot before, very impressive. :gj: Glad that brucemir give the proper name, because I was going to call it "pinkish." :crackup: :yh:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Beautiful beams as usual Arctic, you've definitely got the knack for combining high tech laser beams with the extraordinary natural settings found near you! :beer:
As Bruce and others have mentioned that Magenta color is amazing; always looking forward to your new posts, never disappointing! :yh: