Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ellipsis LaserBee Firmware - Development updates, build notes, media, and more!

Anyone that implements/uses this unauthorized nor approved nor
tested (by J.BAUER Electronics) 3rd party hacked firmware on any
of our products will unconditionally void any Warranty and/or any
present or future Customer Service for their LaserBee product.

Good to know, but you are potentially cutting off a source of revenue. Typically companies still offer support after, they just charge more for any work required.

This unauthorized blatant Hack of our Intellectual Property (IP) and
work product is not recognized, recommended or approved to be
used on any LaserBee product manufactured by J.BAUER Electronics.

Just fyi, that's libel...

Trevor

Fun fact of the day! The 2.5W LaserBees USB's are calibrated at 500mW. Which seems... low, for an LPM rated to do 2.5W. I'm sure there's a reason. Anyone have thoughts on this? Jerry?

And yes, I now have a 2.5W LaserBee USB to write firmware for! :D

Trevor

Last edited:

Benm

Perhaps its not that crazy - you can calibrate for the middle of the range (1.25 watts) but also for the most commonly used range of a meter.

Trevor

Perhaps its not that crazy - you can calibrate for the middle of the range (1.25 watts) but also for the most commonly used range of a meter.

I dunno... I just think it's strange to calibrate at 20% power - especially when the LaserBee USB was introduced when 1-2W 445nm lasers became common.

Jerry criticized Radiant for calibrating the Alpha ( a 2W LPM ) at only 1.5W. That's 75% of the full range. Something just seems fishy... :thinking:

Trevor

benmwv

Got any interesting new code for that 2.5W USB?

Anybody know what jerry rates the damage threshold for them at? Im thinking of making a 1/2 resistor divider in a plug thing to go between the sensor and the box so I can get a measurement in the 2.5-3W range. I don't want to go up to 5W, I just want to get that extra 500mw out of it. Should be an easy non invasive mod.

Trevor

Anybody know what jerry rates the damage threshold for them at? Im thinking of making a 1/2 resistor divider in a plug thing to go between the sensor and the box so I can get a measurement in the 2.5-3W range. I don't want to go up to 5W, I just want to get that extra 500mw out of it. Should be an easy non invasive mod.

I accidentally left the f#$king thing in Blacksburg when I left for break. And then I forgot it again when I got back from the bowl game in Orlando.

I'll get to it... I promise... D:

Trevor

ARG

The curve adjustment would be off for the extra range though. Not that the curve adjustment is great to begin with, the knee is a real pain for some applications though.

What is the bottleneck limiting the lpm to 2.5w? A low resolution ADC with a vref of 5V calibrated to 2mV=1mW?

benmwv

Yeah, I assume 2.5W occurs near the max input of the ADC. The error would be doubled, but I wouldn't really mind, since I would remove it for anything less than 2.5W. Once youre over 2.5W who really even cares about the ones place anyways? And a little bit extra power wont hurt the sensor.

Trevor

I'm 99.999% sure it's a 14-bit ADC with a 5V reference. There's no opamp in the 2.5W model, so couple that with a scaler of ~5 and you get a maximum of about 3.2V.

I suspect the TEC he uses outputs in the neighborhood of 1V/W.

Trevor

I love the way you guys keep walking backwards...
but just to update some obvious reverse engineering
related data...

Legal Disclaimer

Please be advised that this disclaimer is for Legal reasons and
to be absolutely clear.

J.BAUER Electronics is the sole designer and manufacturer of all
the LaserBee Laser Power Meter products and is the sole owner
of all copyrights and trademarks for the LaserBee™ products and
the EagleEye™ software.

Anyone that implements/uses any unauthorized nor approved nor
tested (by J.BAUER Electronics) 3rd party firmware on any of our
products will unconditionally void any Warranty and/or any present
or future Customer Service for their LaserBee product.

This or any future unauthorized 3rd part mimicking of our Intellectual
Property (IP) and work product is not recognized, recommended
or approved to be used on any LaserBee product ever manufactured
by J.BAUER Electronics.

Jerry Bauer Pres.
J.BAUER Electronics

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

Trevor

I've canned the idea of adding predictive analysis to the 1W LaserBee because:

A) It's fast enough.
B) Hardly anyone actually uses them anymore.
C) Running out of space on the microcontroller.

Any objections?

Trevor

Last edited:

plexus

Trevor I love this project! It's great to have people like yourself who are coders and enjoy working through these challenges of using existing µcontroller tools with better software.

If I had a LaserBee, even new with a full warranty, I'd seriously consider dropping your PIC in with your updated software. The reason is that I doubt there is anything in the LaserBee that can't be sourced and replaced on your own. and I am sure there are people in the forum that can help too.

Your LumenOS P1 firmware for the Kenometer is fantastic. I am sure when you are done with Ellipsis it will also be fantastic!

The only thing missing now (unless its address with openLPM) is how to build the hardware yourself for a complete LPM unit. I think people should have a good accurate LPM available to them as cheap as possible.

Keep up the good work.
The more options for DIY'ers the better.
My laser hobby is put on hold at the moment due to severe unexpected circumstances.

Trevor

Any 1W LaserBee owners interested in trying out Ellipsis?

Trevor