Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Electronics Tips

Good Irons have plated tips to protect the copper core. NEVER grind/file them! You only wear the plating off.

I was always taught to NOT wipe the tip before putting it back in the stand. Always leave solder on the tip as a protective layer.

@dnar
Ok, don't file your tip, your choice....@ $3 ea. I can do this abt 15 times, see what I'm doing, better heat & solder control and not ruin SMD parts, expensive boards or spend countless hrs fixing what the blob did. The SMD parts on these huge compared to what I'm used to soldering, but I wind actuators with .001 enameled wire too.
I said to re tin immediately, nothing abt wiping a tip clean.

TJ, I was always trained to keep one hand in your back pocket with HV. To easy to forget and rest that free hand to a common ground completing a deadly circuit. Last cap I saw that big had a PCB sticker on the side. lol

Last edited:

Its only 4kV. Right now I'm on the hunt for a 15kV 60mA transformer for my Jacobs Ladder.

I made my 1st ladder when I was 14 from a neon sign transformer out of a bar being torn down. That and 2 coat hangers.

I want to make the big Frankenstein model. :eg:

I have an old oak liquor crate, a couple of glass insulators, and some thick copper tubing. I even have a big ~1930s knife edge switch. All I need is the juice.

just make sure youve got a couple of spare barbies and a bra to hand, cos you never know ;)

so would an old tv/pc monitor tube make a nice 30kv(+?) cap? tho i'd be scared to use it, wonder what farad there rated at, dont think im gonna stick that on me DMM hehe unless i need some smoke for me laser :eg:, also got a nice flyback transformer too.

HIMNL9

That "mad skill" is helped a lot from the huge amount of soldering fluxant that he place on the pads and pins ;)

Main purpose of the fluxant is right that one, to avoid that "solder bridges" can be formed between near pins, other than improve soldering and take care about oxydes :)

If you notice the "hoof tip" is tapered and cupped underneath. The tapering allows better precision and the "cup" naturally wants to stay full of solder. The melted solder "ball" is formed in it due to atmospheric pressure much like a rain drop. So, melted solder wants to flow to it and "ball up". Melted solder will try to stay equally on a soldering tip. If there are voids, it will fill them. If there are none, it will flow back to try and cover the tip till gravity causes the excess to hang down actually pulling excess solder away from the joint. 60* tips aren't made for precision work. The sharp angle causes excess solder to be facing the joint now hanging waiting to drop.

dnar

@dnar
I said to re tin immediately, nothing abt wiping a tip clean.
No need to be so defensive! I made a suggestion, I was not debating your comment.
Always work with one hand when working with high voltage. If you use two, and jump the circuit you may die. Also use a wire to short any capacitors because they may have a charge. Even static electricity will charge them. When stored always keep a wire connected to all connections on the bigger caps. When I say big, I mean...
2q3x7nl.jpg
Thanks for holding that big ass capacitor in front of your face!
Its only 4kV. Right now I'm on the hunt for a 15kV 60mA transformer for my Jacobs Ladder.
I built one a few years ago using a car ignition coil. I had one laying around from an old V8, I replaced the coil in the car just because it was 25 years old. The old unit sings nicely in the ladder! I'll take a video later and share. I have been meaning to fire it up for a while now... TIP: do not run jacobs laders anywhere near computers!!!

I have an old oak liquor crate, a couple of glass insulators, and some thick copper tubing. I even have a big ~1930s knife edge switch. All I need is the juice.
Ooooh. How much for the knife switch?

Why not add an old school (real old) gas valve knob, do the whole Dr Steel/Steampunk look....

Make: Online : Steampunk computer brewery
SteamPunk Computer Mod | Zogdo
Practical Aesthetics: Steampunk Computer Design

I am think it is time to stop hijaking this thread, perhaps a mod could split the jacobs ladder posts out to a new thread please?

I make Steampunk projects. I'm incorporating lasers into some of them right now. Thats why I'm here.

dnar

I make Steampunk projects. I'm incorporating lasers into some of them right now. Thats why I'm here.
Excellent. Care to share. I am right in to Steampunk.

Funny, I put on some music right before checking this thread, Abney Park. Hows that for spooky?

Dont respect me yet, LOL. All of them are still in different stages of completion. I finally decided to stick to one project at a time. The Jacob's Ladder is the first project. Still trying to think how to incorporate a laser into it. :thinking:

dnar

Dont respect me yet, LOL. All of them are still in different stages of completion. I finally decided to stick to one project at a time. The Jacob's Ladder is the first project. Still trying to think how to incorporate a laser into it. :thinking:
Cool. Thanks for reminding me, I'll fetch my ladder from the project boxes and fire it up. Stand by for video! I'll get a few laser beams in there for effect. :yh: