Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ebay laser

Why dont you just buy some cheap green laser for 5-10 dollars off ebay I think they probably use the same components!

kiloko

Because i want the driver apart from the module, i think that way the laser could last more (perhaps i´m wrong), besides i can´t understand the difference between a big driver and a small driver.
So my question is if i put a heat dissipator on the module can last more hours turned on?

For instance, in this module from aixis

532nm 15mw TTL power adj. laser with DC power supply - eBay (item 380204312115 end time Feb-12-10 20:47:59 PST)

what module do they use, a cheap one like the one before? so what is the difference? the dissipator? a bigger driver? if someone please can clarify this for me... ain´t all the modules the same? isn´t just the cooling system what makes the difference?

Last edited:
ain´t all the modules the same? isn´t just the cooling system what makes the difference?
It is the heat-sinking that you are referring to. (which could be called a cooling system, but this is generally used to describe a fan or water cooling)
The more heat a module can dissipate, the cooler it will run. As in all electronics, heat is the enemy.
Being as the module you linked to is only 5mW, I don't think heat will play a big factor in module life. The shoddy workmanship will kill it long before the heat does.
Drivers follow the same philosophy, the bigger the components, the more heat they can handle,the longer they will live.
I would not put much faith in this cheap Chinese module. E-bay is notorious for selling junk.
Look under Companies here on the forum to find a reputable dealer, or look in the B/S/T section.
BTW: if you plan on duty cycles of more then a few minutes, you should search for a Lab Style module. They are designed to have long duty cycles without heat build-up.

This laser is an excellent deal, well built and Aixiz is a top notch company.

532nm 15mw TTL power adj. laser with DC power supply - eBay (item 380204312115 end time Feb-12-10 20:47:59 PST)

I have 2 lasers from Aixiz & Chuck (the owner of Aixiz) is a well known great guy.

That laser is made to be run for long periods, it is very fair priced and you cannot go wrong. Aixiz aims to please the customer, the product ships from within the USA and I defy anyone to offer a better deal on a laser of similar quality.

I have 2 lasers from Aixiz & Chuck (the owner of Aixiz) is a well known great guy.

That laser is made to be run for long periods, it is very fair priced and you cannot go wrong. Aixiz aims to please the customer, the product ships from within the USA and I defy anyone to offer a better deal on a laser of similar quality.
Wayne is correct. This is the one you want. This one will outlast all 3 of those e-bay cheapies. Three times the power also, at a very good price .:yh:(notice the module and driver size difference?)

I highly recommend you follow Wayne's advice- I have the same ones he has-if you get one of these you will like it--the 15mW needs 5vdc IIRC but the 50mW runs nicely from 'house current' 110vac--both are overspec well heatsinked and only a few years ago cost much more than what you can get them for now--I plan to get one of the 15mW ones and make a 'porta- labby'-best of both worlds-enclose the driver in a nice vented project box-put the laser on top and a 12v fan on the bottom(or top)---power it either with batteries or a good quality ac/dc converter(wallwart) and you wiil be very happy. Last word--you must have good quality laser goggles. Chuck at AixiZ is a very trusted and helpful person----Hakzaw

kiloko

Ok, i´ve decided it and tommorrow i will buy the aixis.
Today i´ve been thinking about IR light. Does anyone knows if the aixis model has an IR filter? i´ts almost sure that it has, but just to be sure...

PS: You guys and this forum where really helpful to me, to make a decision and to learn a lot more about lasers, i want to thank you all for that.

Here are two that Aixiz offers- 532nm 50mw adj power laser TTL AC 90-240VAC - eBay (item 380205957969 end time Feb-21-10 06:06:05 PST) and 532nm 15mw TTL power adj. laser with DC power supply - eBay (item 360234776762 end time Feb-19-10 20:57:41 PST) -you can see the big finned heatsinks- a must for keeping your laser cool and insuring a long life- while some sellers claim a higher than actual mWs- these from AixiZ are typically much higher than claimed-- the 15 mWs puts out closer to 40 mWs and the 50 mW is more like 80mWs- there is a trimpot on the driver board that allows you to run at 'idle' or turn it up. the 50mWs are the ones that both Wayne(photonaholic) and I have- runs on 110vac- the 15mW takes 5 vdc--AixiZ has quality products- ships from Houston Tx and customer service is A+( These units are warranted as new.) that means if you have a problem you are not out of luck. Both of these lasers have TTL blanking - nice feature to have.
you get what you pay for - don't waste your $ and time waiting for stuff to clear customs from HongKong and no warrantee. good luck---hakzaw1

Last edited:

kiloko

Ok, i just sent the money to chuck from aixis, i hope everything goes ok. I bought the 15mW 3 pack. I´m very happy, hoping they came and not to have issues in the argentinian customs...

You should get your order w/no probs.--it would be way too much work to test them--its not like they(customs) would just have to stick some batts. into a pointer and then read a LPM. .................................................................. One thing you will have to figure out is how to attach the power to the driver. I had no luck finding the exact female plug to wire up and plug onto the driver board. What I did was cut the end of the power wires off flush--then push the tiny pin up into the ends of the wires and glue in place probably not the most professional way but they have never come loose. .................................................................. I also was worried about the board being exposed---- so I got metal vented boxes that were slightly larger than the boards--added a switch to one end and glued the driver to the inside bottom of the box. I , like you, wanted to have the head/heatsink seperate and not right next to the driver. ........................................ I found some cheap used tripods at a thrift shop- attached the heads with tie wrap and put my driver boxes on one of the tripod legs.--works great and easy to aim the beam where ever I want it to go, and in order to have access to the trimpots without having to open the driver enclosure I made hole in the top directly over the pot and that allows me to turn the pot up on one with a small phillips screwdriver and on the other one I added a tiny screwdriver and glued the whole thing there so i can adjust with ease. .............................................. PM me if I can be any help to you ---I had lots of questions and Chuck at AixiZ was very helpful--Len

kiloko

I hope i had no problems at customs, a friend today told me that they will put me in jail for importing dangerous stuff :D
I know what you mean about the driver enclosure, do you use fans also to keep it cool?, i´ve told chuck to send me the ac powered that costs the same and i can use them right away, AC dissipates more heat also

I have a couple of led drivers almost exactly as the enclosure you refer to, they have a litlle hole on the top so i can control the mA of the led array with a small pot.

Probably i´ll make an enclosure as yours, but first i would like to have the lasers and drivers with me, i have a lot of aluminum, metals and plastics (i´m an student of industrial design) and of course the famous and useful dremel tool, a must have for any hobbist.

I also made a looooot of questions to chuck, in fact i sent him the money trough western union since my credit card is not international, so i put a lot of trust on him. I wish he does not dissapoint me.... i´ll let you know in the next few days.

PS: look at this video, i´m currently on the edge of my money to buy a good pair of decent goggles (about $150 plus shipping minus credit card), so i think this may be a good and cheap alternative. The last question is mine:
YouTube - How to Make Laser Safety Glasses

PS: do you know if these lasers from aixis have IR filter?

Last edited:

kiloko

I´ve received the lasers today! very happy, i highly recommend chuck and aixis lasers. The first shipment that he sent never came and last week he sent them again trough express mail, EXCELLENT customer care, quality and warranty!