Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ebay $9 blu-ray pens: GREAT!

I just ordered one (Wed 29th). I'll post a quick review once it arrives and i get to play around with it.

Unfortunately i live on the west coast, across the US from the shipper and I'm unable to pick up packages on the weekends... so I'll probably have to wait till Monday to play around with it :p

New member here, but I have been reading for a while. I picked up a 405 nm and a 532 based on recommendations here, and I am very pleased. I do not have an LPM to measure the output, but the green is pretty visible at night with a beam that can be used to point out stars. The 405 is really only visible with smoke, and it was a hit when I took it to an outdoor Sublime show with all the smoke in the air. It is amazing to point it at glow-in-the-dark items and see how they react. Very fun!

I had to tinker with them a little to tighten up the batteries in the case, the AAAs would rattle a little, so I placed a conductive spacer in the end of the host, adding a half a centimeter to bring the pressure up on the spring a little.

Other than that, I have been using these pretty regularly for the past couple months, and I wanted to thank you for a good recommendation and a great value.

"It is amazing to point it at glow-in-the-dark items and see how they react. Very fun!"

Try to find flourescent "day glow" items. That's when you really see how much these pointers put out! I have some dayglow orange things that light up so much that you can't really see the violet from the laser.

Got another set of 405 and 532 pens the other day

Figured i'd add yet more data.

405nm pen = 71mW.. Now the strongest of these i've gotten.
532nm pen = 3mw 532, 3mw IR.. As i've said before. the 405 pens are awesome. The greens are really hit or miss though.

hm mm it's been almost a week since i ordered my 405nm... : \

I also sent two emails to the seller "rateyouqueen@gmail.com" asking him how long shipping takes, but i never got any responses.

Last edited:
It took about a week for me to get the last batch I ordered (two RGV sets) then they forgot half the order. I left a message through ebay and they said they'd send it, and it showed up missing the red heh. I'm not really worried about it though since the reds are just 5-6mw, and I have enough of those. Though since they're just a local distributor for a chinese source, it's quite possible that the current chinese holiday is affecting them as well.

So he finally responded to my email and said

"Hi, We will reship to you another one. Sorry for being late."

I didn't know mine was even shipped/lost? Did you guys get a tracking number sent to your email after you ordered? Maybe it's just taking a long time? ... does this mean i might get an additional laser for free? : p

Tomorrow is 7 days away from when i initially ordered (i live in California)

If you got it off ebay, check in your 'my ebay' and 'won' auctions and look at the status. I never got any communication from them, but the auctions status always changed to shipped with a USPS tracking number when they shipped.

I wish the violet wasn't quite so bright, it's really a bit too bright to use in a dark room. But I seriously doubt they can do anything as far as getting ones slightly less powerful. I REALLY don't want 70mW, ideally I would get like 20mW, but the one I have seems to be around 50 or so.

After reading the great reviews on New Wish type pointers I got 2 , then 2 more later from "itemquickship". No communication, they just show up in 5-7 days.
I was so impressed with the 1st 2 I got 2 more in case the batch changed. lol
For <$10 ea these are a steal. I don't have a LPM but from members descriptions of when the beam is visible and such they should be abt 50mw.
One seemed weaker than the rest so I decide to try and push it out after removing the cap and foam to "play" and rehost that one. qumefox is correct, you'll destroy it unless you remove the lens and make a puller. I made a pushing tool that cleared the driver, switch and support ring. Hand pushing with my fat butt it wasnt going anywhere! I heated the pointer tube with a blow dryer on hot for a minute. I got it to move the face of the lens to almost the end of the tube! It was going nowhere after that. I mic'd the tube and I didnt distort it so I decided to lightly tap it out with a rubber hammer hand held and using the "tool". It didnt survive the process. 1 diode pin was broken off flush and the coil? in the middle was just wraps of enameled wire with no form left. The tool didn't touch it AFAIK, maybe severe impact vibration?
If you want to rehost one, my next attempt will be a Dremel cutoff wheel and just split the tube lengthwise down past the diode housing.

qumefox, could you possibly post one more pic of the 405 driver from a side view showing that coil form? Is it ferrite or plastic? I had no pieces! I'm assuming ferrite. I could possibly fix the driver if I saw how it was wrapped and the material.

I did see a post that the Baton Rouge, LA shipper gives discounts to LPF members on these if ordered by email. $7 ea. $21 would get you 3!

These diodes are soldered directly to the driver. It takes very little flexing of the driver to snap the pins, and trying to push one by hand from the driver side, it's going to be REALLY hard to not accidentally flex the driver..

I think it's ferrite, and just wrapped around, but that one has been glued back together. I'm not taking it apart again heh, and I haven't torn apart any more of the 405's. There's not really a point.. If you get a low powered one, sell it to PBD. :D

Ok...knowing its ferrite helps. Appreciate the info. I can junk around my 10,000+ parts, boards someday looking for something and I'm sure I can find a core. Its not much of a driver to start with but it will run a blu. Any weak ones will be put aside for a possible little light show I have in mind. I just need a dot on the wall to move around, not a beam so it wouldn't go to waste. :yh:
I agree with you also on it may be a PHR diode. It is virtually dead on in readings to it per ma from what I've seen ppl post.

9 days away from my initial order, and 3 from when he said he would "send out another one"

This is odd... i have never bought from ebay before (i do not have an ebay account or paypal account, but i was still able to purchase the laser as 9$ was charged to my card... maybe i am doing something wrong?

These diodes are soldered directly to the driver. It takes very little flexing of the driver to snap the pins, and trying to push one by hand from the driver side, it's going to be REALLY hard to not accidentally flex the driver..

I think it's ferrite, and just wrapped around, but that one has been glued back together. I'm not taking it apart again heh, and I haven't torn apart any more of the 405's. There's not really a point.. If you get a low powered one, sell it to PBD. :D

Yeah i found out the hard way trying to get the little thing out of the damn case, and the thing snapped in half.
I HAD to see what it had on the inside and ended up ruining it haha.

Be Very carful with the buttons. I bought one for my cousin as a gift and his dad pushed the button all the way though, totaling the driver and Diode.

WOOT! i got my 9$ 405nm laser today (finally...)

This thing is great! I have never seen a 405nm laser before and it is a very interesting dot/color to look at. The beam is also visible in an unlit/dim room.