Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ebay $9 blu-ray pens: GREAT!

Razako

Ok so I bought two of these 5mw pens from ebay to see how good they are. The price was just too good to say no.
5mw Blue Laser Pointer US Quick Shipping 405nm Business - eBay (item 120580166420 end time Aug-05-10 22:04:23 PDT)

I got them 3 days after sending payment(they ship from the US) and both are in good working condition. As far as output is concerned they each look about the same and have a somewhat visible beam in the dark. The beam is about 1/3 as bright as my 150mw blu-ray so I'm assuming that these 2 lasers are putting out 30-50mw. Nice and overspec:D. Also the pot looks "somewhat" accessible if you wanna tinker with them and turn the output up further. These may have phr diodes or something else. You could probably turn them up to a good 100mw if you follow a duty cycle.

As far as quality is concerned these are pretty decent for the price. The driver in the laser is supported properly by a plastic holder and the diode is nicely heatsinked in the front of the laser. The threads are decent too. The beamspecs are also pretty nice with both seeming to have decent divergence and no beam scatter. Another big plus is that since these are simple diode lasers they're immune to most of the issues that plague cheap greens such as poorly aligned crystals causing mode hopping and dimming. Also there's no IR to worry about.

My final opinion:
-Quality Overspec blu-ray pens that take common AAA's for only $9 shipped....Hell yeah:eg:
-Output can probably be turned up by the pot a fair amount.
-No beam issues that cheap greens have.
-Did I mention that they're only $9?
-The only problem is if you actually wanted an "eye safe" 5mw laser. Of course you can probably potmod them down if you really want safety.

If you haven't already bought one buy one now. Maybe buy 3 or 4. You can probably make a profit selling them to friends or people on the street. "New and Exotic purple laser pointers that change color on different surfaces for only $25. Get em here" :shhh:

Tabish

At that price, I'd probably give em for free instead of "selling" them to friends lol

Potmod them down to make em safe.

Would make good presents lol

ICU

Sounds great!

I ordered the 405nm & 532nm combo deal, thanks for the review.

If you pull the top off it has a aixiz style adjustable lens. Mine burned black rubber slowly stock (no pot mod) adjusted to a fine point.

daguin

If you pull the top off it has a aixiz style adjustable lens. Mine burned black rubber slowly stock (no pot mod) adjusted to a fine point.

PULL??

Press fit or screwed on?

Peace,
dave

dsholz

I bought one of these around 6 months ago from a different seller (slightly cheaper), and got one with 40 mW output (measured with a laser power meter). I opened it up and turned down the pot to reduce it to 5mW. I was also able to adjust the focus with the built in lens (the module looked the same).

My only gripe is the difficulty of removing a press fit cap. Does anyone have a nice trick for this?

I bought one of these around 6 months ago from a different seller (slightly cheaper), and got one with 40 mW output (measured with a laser power meter). I opened it up and turned down the pot to reduce it to 5mW. I was also able to adjust the focus with the built in lens (the module looked the same).

My only gripe is the difficulty of removing a press fit cap. Does anyone have a nice trick for this?
Use at least 5 or 6 layers of paper, wrap around the cap, Grip very tightly in a vice, and then grab hold the barrel and slowly wiggle it out, move left-right while pulling - but don't over-do it, paper may slip and vice can scratch the cap, ruining the esthetics...

It's fairly simple.

Unless the damned thing is epoxied in there, then it'll take about an hour of fiddling to get it off.

Thanks for the tips-- these make great gifts to someone that you may want to understand the beauty of lasers and why you have such an interest in them-- The BR especially- GITD items--- small sheets can be gotten very cheaply and once they see that they can 'write' on them and the way day-glo stuff lights up -- an attitude change often happens-- well worth the investment and a much higher 'coolness' factor over the commom red pointer.---+rep for the OP

I got the cap removed, but i can't access the module like justin07 can. How do you take it out to pot mod it? Help?

Last edited:
Good review I've been contemplating buying one of these any way. Now I know their quality is worth the money.