Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Earthquake

Wow just had nice earthquake here in central ca.
I was a fun shaker. Trying to find out were the epie center was.

It felt like about 10 -15 seconds. Weeeeeeeeeee

ped

We hardly ever get them in the UK , the last one was about 8 years ago, it woke me up in the middle of the night, it must have measured no more than 1.1 , but I thought the world was ending!

Things

Never felt one at all. Although earlier this year I was close to a pretty large 5.6 quake, and I did hear the windows rattle and the TV drop out for a few seconds, but didn't actually feel it.

Oh you 2 are missing out. I have been throgh few over my lifetime. Some of the best was 1980 we had a long string of them. I think they were mamoth lakes/pools? We felt them down in the valley. I remeber eating breakfast and one started and we all ran outside me with plate of food in hand.LOL
That was a big one. The sidewalk was going up and down like the ocean.

ferd19

Ya, some people felt it all the way up here in the bay area ( i didn't)! though it was significantly less than where epicenter was

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
We get them every few years here in the Ottawa Valley area, rarely above 5.0 though. The small ones are really cool, hope we don't get anything too big though. :p

Pilgor

I remember when a decent size earthquake hit Ottawa a couple years ago, we felt it all the way up here in Timmins.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I remember when a decent size earthquake hit Ottawa a couple years ago, we felt it all the way up here in Timmins.

Yeah, that was a really cool one. Was quite close to the city. A few windows broke downtown and some people panicked.

7009-random-pictures.jpg

Last edited:

AnthoT

Lol had one in Montreal a few weeks back :p

A40c__lCIAEPqN7.jpg

That's actually all that happened :p not even, but it was a 4.5, apparently went all the way to Gatineau, Ottawa also but not as powerful, all it did was startle me :p

I've been through a few here in BC.
Most of the time they don't seem out of the ordinary occurrences and I find out much later that it was another earthquake.
Usually they come across as the low rumble of a large truck idling outside, or other construction related type of sounds/feelings.
EXCEPT the Mount St. Helen's explosion back in the 80's.
I had been drinking the night/morning of it and had only been in bed for a couple of hours when a deafening BANG made me jump out of bed. Would have sworn it was the sound of a car hitting the house but everything was so still and quiet afterwards. No bird songs or any sounds from outside either for a while. (Always sleep with a window open a bit and spring time can be very bird noisy.) Creepy feeling having it suddenly dead quiet.