Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dye Laser Comes to Life!

kecked

I run 38mhz(divide by 4 so 9.6mhz in the cavity dumper) with 2.5ps width pulses in a ring dye. I use methanol and unless the pump is putting oxygen in I have not added anything but dye glycol and methanol. The methanol is pretty much just to get the viscosity right. My dye is a jet so I guess it gets a good oxygen mix on the return line to the pump. It’s laminar but when it hits the exhaust tubing it does splatter in the tube.

Jim H

My dye came from both Germany and Ukraine a couple of days ago, the 1 gram from Germany was 1/4 the cost of the 150 grams from Ukraine. What solvent should be used? I just want to put it in something and shoot a green 532 nm beam into it.

I bought both to compare quality.
Looks like methanol, ethanol and propylene glycol are all used. 1598982871602.png

kecked

You want a bunch of mix formulas? Pm me your email and I’ll send you a bunch of books
Well actually try bookfi.net and just type in dye laser. You’ll get tons of books. Great site.

I did the first test fire of the dye laser today. To my surprise, it worked the first time. All I could think was," Wow! That's a lot of yellow."

The cell itself is 4mmID x 110mm long. The electrode spacing on the lamp is 114mm. 1uF cap charged to 15KV. It even worked with the OC removed. With the OC in place the spot on target is cleaner and somewhat more intense. Dye is Rhodamine 590 chloide in 99.9 ethanol ( makes me wish I had not quit drinking...LOL). The beam is somewhat divergent as expected.

Moving forward, I need to figure out how to photograph output to get you guys some good pictures. Also, I will experiment with collimating lenses to tame divergence. There is more to do... but at least it works.

Merry Christmas

Nice! Where did you get the dye cell?