Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX pot mod help

Things

i have a dx laser and was wondering how to pot mod it. i have tried to unscrew the cap but it doesn't come off. i was wondering if anyone here has modded this laser and if they can give me info on how to do it. thanks :)

S

SenKat

Well - the cap is press fitted in - the easiest way to get it off, is to make a 1/2" hole in a block of wood - tehn cut the piece of wood in half - with half the hole on one side, etc....then use those pieces in your vise - this will keep your laser from getting all scratched up ! From there- you better post pictures so we can see what model, etc you have....

Things

thanks senkat for the reply ;). if i get the cap off will i be able to get it back on?. also then when it's in the vise what do you do pull it or twist it off?. also it's a DX 20 mw :)

S

SenKat

Pull, twist, yank, etc...be carefull, and have the button facing downward when you do this. After you remoove the cap, you should be able to push the board and module out GENTLY from the spring side...

Things --

The wood block is the trick I use to pull them part - Be Patient - It will come off then remove the gutz as SenKat said. All that comes off is the silver tip which I clean off with a small file to remove glue and make assembly easier. Be creative on pressing it back together - wood blocks don't do damage if you're careful.
I have 2 DX20's. one went to 45 mW simply by adding e2 cells !! The other I turned up a bit to 47 mW. Watch your current, try to stay below about 275 mA. LD life gets real short above that.

Mike

Zander

I modded my DX 20mw by drilling a hole directly in front of the button (aperture side) big enough to get a screw in and mod it. Here is a picture:

Attachments

• lasermod.jpg
    lasermod.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 730

Kenom

Pot modding a DX does no good. The Dx lasers (newwish) have APC's on them. up toward the output after the MCA there is a splitter that divides the output to a sensor. the sensor regulates the output power of the laser to remain in spec. I had to remove the splitter and the sensor to get more output power on my 30mw DX. Now it shoots to the side.

Once again --- I got TWO dx20 pointers. One went from about 20 mW to 45 mW using only e2 cells. The other, I pulled apart using my patented wood block trick. I turned the pot up to about 300 mA and got 47 mW.
Be real careful to monitor the LD current. Going over 300 mA is thin ice :mad:

Mike

emm i am a noob at this but have taken many things apart before, (like games systems to install mod chips, and broken dvd drives to replace parts ...) and have ordered a small 5mw green laser from DX, would it be possible for me to create a turning switch (like Zander) but with a turning thing) but i don't want to damage my diode

Y

yew.sir-name

deadman1 said:
emm i am a  noob at this but have taken many things apart before, (like games systems to install mod chips, and broken dvd drives to replace parts  ...) and have ordered a small 5mw green laser from DX, would it be possible for me to create a turning switch (like  Zander) but with a turning thing) but i don't want to damage my diode

what zander done was drill a hole to reveal his pot (to pot mod his laser). by turning the pot you risk shortening the life of your lasers diode. you can do the same with your laser (pot mod) by doing what zander done in his pic.

kk dude, sorry for late response, been busy with stuff, and laser not arrived yet, what i was talking about was is creating a veraible resister external from the actual bored but still going through the pot, this would be soo i could switch it to a lower power for pointing at things

Y

yew.sir-name

The pot on the dx 5mw is on the underside  http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Forums.dx/Forum.91~threadid.15718

url]

url]

pics courtesy of Mr_hanky

RE: Getting to the goods inside a DX pointer.
Before you put it in viced wood blocks, put some heat on it too.
It makes glue release and metal expand.
But I'm too late, you got it apart, good work!

Also, I found that using more than 3 volts to the pointer will increase current and save U time modifying it.

The circuit-board in my DX 30mW draws more current when I give it more voltage.
Caution, measure your current, don't go over .3 amp., Hemlock Mike says that's the Max.
Deal Extreme says their pointer diodes are Samsung. Samsung quit making diodes! I can't find datasheets anywhere, so we have no ways to figure limitations on these Newish laser pointers.

Damn, laser diodes I've seen are not labeled like every other device I've worked with for the last 25 Years while I've been engineering electronics.

Cheers,
DGM [smiley=beer.gif]