Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dvd laser burner with no modules

makuze

Hello, im new to lasers and i want to make a laser burner with no modules just to make a normal laser from a dvd burner diode and i unasembled the dvd burner i didint took out the diode but theres a cable conected to the part and its writen on it 30v for about 6 times and i think i need 30 volts is it posible that i need it or that cable dosent mean anything im gonna show you a picture o and a kipkay sent me

Attachments

• P1280005.JPG
    P1280005.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,658
  • P1280006.JPG
    P1280006.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 793
  • P1280007.JPG
    P1280007.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 543

Yes, you want to hook up 20 AAA batteries to get your 30v. Then just simply wire the diode to the batteries, add a switch, and you will have a very bright laser. If the laser dims, just add more batteries.

and make sure the batteries are connected in series. If its still not enough, try about 3-4 car batteries... the lithium kind.

Reactions: mfo
and make sure the batteries are connected in series. If its still not enough, try about 3-4 car batteries... the lithium kind.

Yeah that would work too. 3 12v car batteries will give you 36v. Man it will burn through wood at that powa.

mfo

Yeah that would work too. 3 12v car batteries will give you 36v. Man it will burn through wood at that powa.

I heard if you plug it into the wall it will burn through thin steel. If it goes dim I guess you can always plug it in directly to the transformer on the street pole. After all you can't go wrong with more power.

Last edited:
^Wow.. very nice guys! This guy said he's a n00b who needs help (obviously that means he already knows lots about lasers and electronics and is only posting this to be silly) and you guys deliberately post bad info. Very helpful to the forum, and definitely fits your veteran status. Again, nice work. [/sarcasm]

to the OP: That cable is only marked that way to indicate the max voltage that it can handle. That has nothing to do with the voltage of the laser diode(s).

What you need to do is read the sticky threads beginning with these:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/pro-tips-w-spyderz20x6-building-your-first-diy-laser-40157.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/diodes-compilation-all-diodes-data-one-thread-45042.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/threads-interest-27864.html

They contain lots of useful info and links that will help you understand the process of working with laser diodes and lasers in general.

jaycey

Good luck in your search of information, theres lots to learn but its fascinating stuff.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Last edited:

mfo

^Wow.. very nice guys! This guy said he's a n00b who needs help (obviously that means he already knows lots about lasers and electronics and is only posting this to be silly) and you guys deliberately post bad info. Very helpful to the forum, and definitely fits your veteran status. Again, nice work. [/sarcasm]

to the OP: That cable is only marked that way to indicate the max voltage that it can handle. That has nothing to do with the voltage of the laser diode(s).

What you need to do is read the sticky threads beginning with these:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/pro-tips-w-spyderz20x6-building-your-first-diy-laser-40157.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/diodes-compilation-all-diodes-data-one-thread-45042.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/threads-interest-27864.html

They contain lots of useful info and links that will help you understand the process of working with laser diodes and lasers in general.

All of this info is stickied, I'm tired of spoon feeding people.

+ The guy obviously knows enough about lasers to know what a module is and kipkay's videos. While I will admit kipkay is horrible as far as lasers go...come on now.

Last edited:
All of this info is stickied, I'm tired of spoon feeding people.

+ The guy obviously knows enough about lasers to know what a module is and kipkay's videos. While I will admit kipkay is horrible as far as lasers go...come on now.

So just say nothing then. This forum has enough disinformation in it already without people purposefully adding more. WTF is the point of being a dick and misleading people? Don't we have enough of that bullshit already? Or do we need more..

Better start a ban thread for me, too 'cause I know you disagree with me and I know that's how you like to handle people who feel differently than you.

Last edited:

mfo

So just say nothing then. This forum has enough disinformation in it already without people purposefully adding more. WTF is the point of being a dick and misleading people? Don't we have enough of that bullshit already? Or do we need more..

But you opted to keep rangedunits who spams shit like this every day. Interesting....you sound like a hypocrite to me right about now. Fuck it, if people like him are going to be permitted to post retarded shit on an almost daily basis then I might as well have a bit of fun here and there too. Besides it's brutally obvious that what I posted was sarcasm. No one in their right mind is going to plug a LD into a wall.
Better start a ban thread for me, 'cause I know you disagree with me and I know that's how you like to handle people who feel differently than you.

Lol. I don't start ban poles on people who disagree with me, only assholes who deserve it. Learn to read the info that's been posted (I feel like I'm talking to the OP now) because I explained my reasoning behind it. Show me one ban pole that I started that wasn't justified, and don't use aberration's because it was indeed justified by myself and many people agreed with me (check his rep), including a mod and I'm guessing Avery too since he's still banned. Besides, weren't you the one who ran away like a bitch a few months ago because you couldn't take to some petty drama? Go start a ban poll for yourself.

But you opted to keep rangedunits who spams shit like this every day. Interesting....you sound like a hypocrite to me right about now. Fuck it, if people like him are going to be permitted to post retarded shit on an almost daily basis then I might as well have a bit of fun here and there too. Besides it's brutally obvious that what I posted was sarcasm. No one in their right mind is going to plug a LD into a wall.

Lol. I don't start ban poles on people who disagree with me, only assholes who deserve it. Learn to read the info that's been posted (I feel like I'm talking to the OP now) because I explained my reasoning behind it. Show me one ban pole that I started that wasn't justified, and don't use aberration's because it was indeed justified by myself and many people agreed with me (check his rep), including a mod and I'm guessing Avery too since he's still banned. Besides, weren't you the one who ran away like a bitch a few months ago because you couldn't take to some petty drama? Go start a ban poll for yourself.

So now you're calling me a bitch? Very nice indeed. I see we were all quite mistaken in our initial opinion of you.

mfo

So now you're calling me a bitch? Very nice indeed. I see we were all quite mistaken in our initial opinion of you.

The same can be said for you for calling me a dick.

Edit: I don't want more drama and I'm sure you don't, so consider this my last post in this thread.

D

Deleted member 8382

WTF

half of you trolling him and the other half complaining about the trolls, but still noone answered him?

@ the thread starter:

You'll need to know what kind of diode your burner is using, but anyway you need a module as heatsink or it will die in a couple of seconds. Also, you'll need a driver to regulate the current. Research a bit on the forums for "driver" and read the faqs ;)

You can't power a diode directly with batteries and secondly, they need much less voltage, nothing like 36V lol