Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DVD Burner LED instead of LD??!?!?

S

SenKat

Most likely, yes ....it has been said MILLIONS of times on here that AA batts will KILL the diodes...I have no idea why folks continue to try it :(

what kind of batts do u use for yours i was going to use aa but after hearing this is 3 aaa's better?

S

SenKat

If you are ONLY testing the output - use 2 AAA batts...only for abrief ammount of time. If you are using acircuit that is regulated, it is MUCH safer !

SLOW DOWN ---- READ --- Don't use aa cells without limiting !!! Don't use 3 aaa cells without limiting. Don't push them without a module for heatsinking.
Wait for the right stuff and follow the posts here or you will have a crap LED :(

Science doesn't happen overnight here. Do it right the first time.

Mike

i only used the AA for like 4-10 seconds at a time. it got way to hot to hold after that anyway. oh well. better luck *and carefullness* on the second diode i hope

well im making a homemade driver i got all the stuff but now i got to change the power pack to what ever is safest for the diode will i have to get new stuff for the driver to? and also what batts do u use for yours for your homemade lasers? i will follow the forum but just wanted to find this out before i start working on my driver

thehacker3 said:
i only used the AA for like 4-10 seconds at a time. it got way to hot to hold after that anyway. oh well. better luck *and carefullness* on the second diode i hope
::sigh:: nanoseconds of too much current can kill a LD. :'( AAs WILL supply too much current in many situations. Listen to Mike, and read the board. ;)

00304 said:
well im making a homemade driver i got all the stuff but now i got to change the power pack to what ever is safest for the diode will i have to get new stuff for the driver to? and also what batts do u use for yours for your homemade lasers? i will follow the forum but just wanted to find this out before i start working on my driver

Good place to start. :)
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1185701612;start=all

00304 what model of dvd drive is this? I am collecting pictures and info so I know what to keep away from or to GRAB
thanks and good luck!