Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dummy Battery

GSS

Ive been waiting for a AA battery spacer dummy from fastech for about 2 weeks now. As I really havent posted much lately about lasers in general I think its a good time to ask. Other than my lasers ive posted before of my hobby about modding toy startrek phasers anyway im getting tired of waiting for these battery dummys to arrive. So im thinking of just making it myself so I at least can see how my toy will work. Ive seen all the do it yourself threads. Some of them build one with a solid rod of copper with some electrical tape wrapped around another with a bolt and tape, another with a wooden dowel and aluminum foil. Yes its simpley making a circuit connection but some of these methods seem a bit extreme or bazaar. If I were to make one Im thinking of using a same size dowel pin of the AA battery or cardboard tube drill down the middle and use a wire or paper clip for the connects. Has anyone ever ran into any problems with these methods, its simple I realize but you never know.:thinking: The 2 im waiting for cost .92 cents

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey GSS, any of those methods will probably work, especially if it's only temporary till you receive your Fastech "Dummys" :).
If you're interested, I've got a couple of brand new AA dummy battery spacers that I believe are also from Fastech (they are the yellow ones); if you'd like, I could mail them out to you, it might save a week or two of waiting.

Reactions: GSS
Hi,
i build my own with an aluminum rod wrapped with electrical tape. No problems and it looks good to. Grab a battery go to home depot they have all sizes of AL rods.

Rich:)

GSS

Thanks guys, will do, I might have some rod laying around I just wanted to double check. Im only using it to power a fasttech green 5V but regardless how cheap those modules are its replacing it that is a pain plus know one likes to blow any diode regardless how cheap. On 1 of the threads they used a solid rod of brass that was probably 3/8 of an inch almost the size of the battery itself. Bowtie, those yellow ones are the exact ones im waiting for, fastech asked me to wait a few more days but I might take you up on your offer ill let you know thx again;;;;;;;well I made one with a 1/8 in. steel rod an tape works good guys thx

Last edited:
What I did:

Michaels or Hobby Lobby has little neodymium magnets. Grab some wire and solder one magnet to each end. Grab an old coke bottle, cut it to size, roll it up to the size and tape it. The coke bottle spacer works great and the magnets hold really well.

Last edited:

GSS

What I did:

Michaels or Hobby Lobby has little neodymium batteries. Grab some wire and solder one magnet to each end. Grab an old coke bottle, cut it to size, roll it up to the size and tape it. The coke bottle spacer works great and the magnets hold really well.
I could try that, the more ideas the better I do have to ask is the neodymium batterys the magnets? I will search it. Thx Trend

Typo, sorry. Yes I meant Magnets. edited original.

It's not a bad idea to just have some wires with magnets on either end. It works very well for testing also.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

Haha now I know why I couldnt connect the 2 on search. Any tricks to soldering with magnets? Thx Trend

Hi G,
Home dept aluminum rod take a battery with you to get the closest dia.
Electrical tape to insulate or make up the difference in diameter.
I do this it,s safe and the spacer won't shift or move around. Try you'll like it works great..

Haha now I know why I couldnt connect the 2 on search. Any tricks to soldering with magnets? Thx Trend

It's really easy. Just make sure to tin the tip of your iron. Medium head 3 out of 5 on my Weller. Pre-tin the magnet and the wire. Hold the magnet in place with helping hands. Solder the wire to the magnet and pull iron to the side not straight up. (because it will be easier with the tip being attracted to the magnet.)

GSS

Hi G,
Home dept aluminum rod take a battery with you to get the closest dia.
Electrical tape to insulate or make up the difference in diameter.
I do this it,s safe and the spacer won't shift or move around. Try you'll like it works great..

Hi Lifetime, I did use your suggestion I ended up using a 1/8 in. steel rod that I had laying around and it worked great. I actualy edit one of the posts a while ago when I did it. I was just interested in other ways and was curious about the magnets. Thx all....by the way the fastech dummys came 2 days later so now I have plenty for now anyway lol

Last edited:
I would still recommend the magnets. I use them even with normal batteries. Takes away any slack and helps with the "rattle" some hosts have.

GSS

I would still recommend the magnets. I use them even with normal batteries. Takes away any slack and helps with the "rattle" some hosts have.
Didnt think about the rattle help, and thanx for the soldering tip nice.