Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dropped my Custom built 445nm and it stopped working

Hey all,

Crazy coincidence that I come back to these forums after years of being inactive hoping to buy a new wavelength laser that I don't currently have.... And then I drop my 445nm laser that I built and had for years.

It fell from my computer desk to the hardwood floor. Not a high drop, 3 feet maybe, but not a soft landing at all either. It was working moments before it fell. And I immediately picked it up and attempted to turn it on, only to to get nothing.

I took it apart and made sure everything was tight. The "pill" was tight, everything tight. I'm charging the battery just to be certain, but I'm sure I probably damaged the diode.

This was one of the original 445nm diodes from way back when we were group buying projectors and ripping the diodes out of them.

I have been out if the game so long, I don't even know where I could purchase another diode like this, or what the dimensions/specs we're on this. I'm Leary of eBay because I've been out of the loop for too long to know who/what to trust.

Is there any trusted/recommended websites around for these diodes?

So bummed out right now. I was ready to pull the trigger and buy a new 492nm laser... And now I have to try and fix my old one first. 😶😥

Gazen

You can buy a 445nm from DTR for relatively cheap:
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/
We have a few high power 465nm diodes too, and DTR could throw it in a module and set up a driver for you if you feel like trying a new wavelength.

I’m sorry about your laser, check all the connections to make sure it’s not a connection issue, you could get lucky.

DTR is probably the most trusted seller for anything, ships from the US, and and is pretty knowledge. The main thing is checking the size of your diode(5.6 mm, 9mm, etc), and checking the current your driver is set at.

Last edited:

GSS

Bummer and such bad timing:(
Like Gazen said just look how cheap they have gotten, and I would recommend a
PLTB450B that DTR has for $23. It has amazing beam spec's for a multi mode "better than a M140 in many members opinion and can do 2W+ at 1.8A:)

first of all i suggest you to try and mesure if any current is flowing from the tailcap to the body,if its 0 then your laser could not be dead,it could be broke just one connection with the drop.don't buy new diode before you are sure the old is dead.

Reactions: GSS
With your laser safety glasses on try bridging from the case to the battery with the tail cap removed, that way you eliminate the tail cap as the problem or confirm it.....it goes without saying that the laser must be pointed in a safe direction, if that fails then remove the diode and driver and power the driver from a battery pack or power supply, if it works then inspect/replace your springboard.

If not then inspect your driver/diode connections, did you use the case pin as your driver ground ? If so check it too then finally disconnect your driver and test your diode, if your diode is dead you may way want to get a better one anyway, but your most likely problem is continuity, so check everything and see if it's not an easy fix.

Last edited:
Very strange.... It just started working. I'm not even sure what happened. I was using it literally moments before I knocked it off of the table. And then it wasn't working. I first checked the spring in the tail clicker. Then I noticed the "pill" was a little loose, so I completely removed it and tightened the set screw for the heatsink as well. Inserted the whole pill into the housing and tightened it down. While I was doing that, I had the battery on the charger. Tried it again and still had nothing. I put the battery back on the charger and messed with the tail spring some more, then I tried it again and it worked. But I'm not really sure what fixed it.

It don't think that it was the battery, because I didn't use it that much, and it wasn't showing any signs of getting low before I dropped it.

It's working now which is great news! But I'm wondering if there is an unstable connection somewhere. I might still go through and check everything like you all recommended.

And thanks for the DTR link. Man these things have gotten quite a bit cheaper over the years. And so many new wavelengths!!!! I have a feeling I'm gonna be spending some money on DTR in the coming months. I have the laser itch again.

Last edited:

Gazen

Very strange.... It just started working. I'm not even sure what happened. I was using it literally moments before I knocked it off of the table. And then it wasn't working. I first checked the spring in the tail clicker. Then I noticed the "pill" was a little loose, so I completely removed it and tightened the set screw for the heatsink as well. Inserted the whole pill into the housing and tightened it down. While I was doing that, I had the battery on the charger. Tried it again and still had nothing. I put the battery back on the charger and messed with the tail spring some more, then I tried it again and it worked. But I'm not really sure what fixed it.

It don't think that it was the battery, because I didn't use it that much, and it wasn't showing any signs of getting low before I dropped it.

It's working now which is great news! But I'm wondering if there is an unstable connection somewhere. I might still go through and check everything like you all recommended.

And thanks for the DTR link. Man these things have gotten quite a bit cheaper over the years. And so many new wavelengths!!!! I have a feeling I'm gonna be spending some money on DTR in the coming months. I have the laser itch again.

Glad it’s working again! It was probably a connection error between the pill and the host. I’m not sure what setup you have, but make you test the resistance of all current paths with a multimeter.

Spending money with Jordan(DTR) is a great idea :)

Last edited:

GSS

hxdrum, have a look at Lifetime's sale thread..
He has and can can make all kinds of Plug and Play hosts where you can just drop in a DTR 12mm module and go..You will be pleastantly surprised just how little a 501B host with a nice heatink will cost for an example. Or a complete unit..
He's been a blessing to this forum while you were gone:)

Hi Dropped my build,

G;ad you fixed the issue good job folks here help on a call so you had many answers .

Rich:)

yeah i was gonna say that i wouldnt think that a drop like that would hurt it because let me tell you a short story of how incredibly tough these direct diodes are. I got mad at my Oclaro700 build about a month ago and threw it pretty hard at my table and it hit my iphone right on the back top of my phone, ill get a picture and post it soon. it damaged my phone pretty good and the laser was still working flawlessly. I did throw it relativly hard, hard enought to certainly knock a crystal loose and damage a dpss laser for sure, so diodes are pretty damn tough :evil:

I suspect you have an intermittent broken connection somewhere in the laser. It will likely happen again. But, connections are far cheaper to repair than any parts that you would need to replace. The tail cap switch is not out of the realm of possibility, yet.