Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Drone & Laser

Was watching the PBS Newshour night before last and it stated that a new law was going into effect where any drones purchased and used inside the United States would have to be registered if purchased after 12/22/15. This would be free of charge until next year when it will cost $5.00 per registration of each drone. Anyone else see this?

You have to remove the "https://youtu.be/" part for the YT flags to work, so here is your video:

Thanks, I thought it was just my browser.

Exactly^

Nice production! What laser were you using? Seems to be quite visible from such a far distance.
I was using a 3.3W blue laser I bought from TaterMay.

Was watching the PBS Newshour night before last and it stated that a new law was going into effect where any drones purchased and used inside the United States would have to be registered if purchased after 12/22/15. This would be free of charge until next year when it will cost $5.00 per registration of each drone. Anyone else see this?

The law states that all drones weighing more than x have to be registered, regardless of when they were purchased. If you register them sometime before January something it's free. A quick Google search could clarify this.

I guess you didn't point right at the drone due to fear of wiping out the camera?

Thanks, I thought it was just my browser.

I was using a 3.3W blue laser I bought from TaterMay.

The law states that all drones weighing more than x have to be registered, regardless of when they were purchased. If you register them sometime before January something it's free. A quick Google search could clarify this.

Just to clarify, all drones over 0.55lb or 250 grams need to be registered (x = 250g). After the free registration expires it still is only $5.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, all drones over 0.55lb or 250 grams need to be registered (x = 250g). After the free registration expires it still is only $5.

Another good way for the government to make money, I guess.

We do not have a similar policy here in Canada, but I don't doubt there will be one soon.

Luckily however, with the new drone policy, the likelihood of someone getting into legal trouble for flying a drone is potentially reduced by a lot (assuming they do indeed pay registration). I've seen a lot of footage of people receiving ticket's and offenses, and even harassment for flying drones. At least now if this happens, there's the registration factor to defend against that.

I Pointed 405nm laser on my drone in mid air and the plastic got on fire, i purchased a second drone next day haha :)
i fixed it using gorilla glue / and 7w laser melting the plastic so it holds :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I Pointed 405nm laser on my drone in mid air and the plastic got on fire, i purchased a second drone next day haha :)
i fixed it using gorilla glue / and 7w laser melting the plastic so it holds :rolleyes:

Lasers vs. Drones is gonna happen soon.

What if I installed a remote controlled 5mw laser on my drone? Would be so cool.

Did a fire ignite or did the plastic just burn? That's crazy if the drone was on fire.