Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver questions x switch

Tmack

Hey guys. I got wicked laser e2 host. I plan to drop a m140 in it. I contacted lazeerer for an x switch. The note along with it says the spring on the driver goes to battery negative. So how will this work with the M140. Sorry for the novice question but I know M140 builds I have need positive in first.

In laseerer thread about the driver he said that he did this because of the lack of connection ability of a pen hosts tail cap. But will this damage the m140 from dtr if I connect the positive to the module through way of the host?? If dtr 445 m140 are insulated then it will be fine correct??

Last edited:

NKO29

I have often wondered the same thing on case positive builds on diodes that are case negative... My guess is that the driver regulates current from going through the diode but how i have no idea :thinking:

NKO29

And i'd say it almost certainly needs to be isolated from the host...

Yes, the M-140s can be used in a case + or case - configuration. Just bridge the + and case pin on the diode and it should be fine.

NKO29

OOOh, I totally forgot the M140's diode is electrically isolated from it's case pin :whistle: But still, how does a driver regulate current AFTER it's passed through a diode?

Tmack

I got a pre-wired module from dtr with leads. How do I bridge the case pin to positive? If I wire both +&- leads to the driver, the host won't provide my final connection?

Since the diode's anode and cathode are isolated, you will not get a complete circuit if you do not connect either the driver's positive input or the diode's anode (+) to the case.

I'm assuming the X-switch is continuous. If so, you can just use solder or a short length of wire to connect the diode + and the case pin.

If the X-switch is not continuous, you will have to connect the driver's + input to the case somehow.

Just to be sure, it is probably a good idea to consult lazeerer himself, since he created the driver. :)

Tmack

So I could just use a blob of solder to bridge the tiny gap between the pin and case on the positive pin?

Last edited:
So I could just use a blob of solder to bridge the tiny gap between the pin and case on the positive pin?

Yeah it should work. I've done this with flex-drives plenty of times in the past. But I have to make a disclaimer - I have never used the X-switch so don't trust me.

Do you have to even do anything special with the diode pins? I thought the +/- on diode hook to the xswitch as normal, and the xswitch has a spot in the middle of it to use as a contact point with the host to receive the battery +, so the circuit is completed through the driver, and the diode is isolated so it wont be bothered by doing so...? So youde only have to do special stuff with the diode pins if you used its case pin to bring the positive to the driver?

Am i right or wrong in my understanding of the xswitch? because i also inquired on some and plan to do a few builds with it.

You shouldn't bridge it.

DTR puts a red wire on the positive and a black wire on the negative and a white wire on the case.

You would connect the red lead to the positive out from the driver then the black wire connects to the negative out from the driver.

The white lead from the diode connects to the positive input to the driver and the negative from the battery goes to the negative input of the driver.

That should do it...

I got a pre-wired module from dtr with leads. How do I bridge the case pin to positive? If I wire both +&- leads to the driver, the host won't provide my final connection?

Last edited:
You shouldn't bridge it.

DTR puts a red wire on the positive and a black wire on the negative and a white wire on the case.

You would connect the red lead to the positive out from the driver then the black wire connects to the negative out from the driver.

The white lead from the diode connects to the positive input to the driver and the negative from the battery goes to the negative input of the driver.

That should do it...

Ohh right I've seen that with the white case pin wire from DTR. You attach it the input of the driver based on what type of build, case +/-

Tmack

Ok I've talked to the him . There IS in fact a place to connect the case wire in the middle of the driver. Connect the case wire to the V+ hole in the center of the driver. This will complete the final connection.

Thanks so much guys. I needed the answer in a bit of a hurry, so I wanted to ask if anyone had done this before.

This is a really great driver. Laseerer defiantly thought of everything here with the lack of a tail cap spring on the pen lasers.

And I have amperage set to 1.25a . S I should get around 1w out of this e2

Last edited: