Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver For Sharp 405

Lifetime17 has driven this diode at 1.2 to 1.5 amps.
I understand others have lost the diode with less current, that it may be a driver issue.
Survival Laser sells two drivers that can be set at these values.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these drivers?
Driver 1

Driver 2

Since the ACS1500 is unavailable, could the ACS4500 be used?
I have no way of testing to see whether or not there is a spike before the driver settles....if it can actually be set at 1.2 amps.

Giannis_TDM

Lifetime17 has driven this diode at 1.2 to 1.5 amps.
I understand others have lost the diode with less current, that it may be a driver issue.
Survival Laser sells two drivers that can be set at these values.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these drivers?
Driver 1

Driver 2

Since the ACS1500 is unavailable, could the ACS4500 be used?
I have no way of testing to see whether or not there is a spike before the driver settles....if it can actually be set at 1.2 amps.
If you want I can set you one of my bucks to 1.2A and capture the rise curve to assure you that there will be no spikes.

Where are located...ie., shipping? Only a buck or two lol, while I appreciate it, as a business model, you have to do better than that. I am not familiar with his these small surface mount drives are made and I remember seeing a picture of Angelos' table with a sheet of drivers laid out. I don't know what everyone else thinks but having more quality drivers available would be great, but I suspect to make it worth your while, a bunch of us has to make a commitment to order them. I know at some time soon I want to build a what is it, 95 W Nichea unit and will need an appropriate driver. As for the 405, what do you think is killing them? Do you think 1.5 is really pushing it? What is your time frame for delivery including shipping?

Giannis_TDM

Where are located...ie., shipping? Only a buck or two lol, while I appreciate it, as a business model, you have to do better than that. I am not familiar with his these small surface mount drives are made and I remember seeing a picture of Angelos' table with a sheet of drivers laid out. I don't know what everyone else thinks but having more quality drivers available would be great, but I suspect to make it worth your while, a bunch of us has to make a commitment to order them. I know at some time soon I want to build a what is it, 95 W Nichea unit and will need an appropriate driver. As for the 405, what do you think is killing them? Do you think 1.5 is really pushing it? What is your time frame for delivery including shipping?
Shipping to most countries is ~5 euros, I don't get what you mean by that. Every driver I sent out is made by order by me, I assemble and test all of them. With the driver, you receive a test sheet detailing its performance. Test equipment I use: Keithley DMM6500 6 1/2 digit multimeter, Rigol 1054z Occiloscope and a Korad KD3005D+ linear power supply to supply the drivers during testing, Testing procedure: Get the driver on the test jig I have made and either set 8.2v or 4v on the korad respectively depending on the driver(buck or boost), Then measure the current and some of its characteristics such as standard deviation, current ripple* and min-max, After that, I measure its output ripple voltage on the rigol to see if it falls under the specs outlined in the datasheet. If it does pass all these tests it gets sanitized with acetone and packed up. I also have an ad on option if the customer wishes a full test report to be made in which many more measurements and tests are performed hence why it costs that extra, My time. Although if the customer wishes for one or 2 extra tests to be made I don't charge anything more.

*average current ripple at 1 NPLC

I think you misunderstood me. You said you make only a buck or two and a was just trying to encourage you. That is lot of individualized custom work,that is all. I also just asked you where you live and what the turnaround time is for everything, including shipping.

Are all your buck drivers fixed!

I assume you have a buck that is rectangular?

At what amperage do you need to sink it and is it the usual method.

Do you think a boost could work for the Sharp 405.

I also need drivers for the 07 4 amps, and the the 44 4.5 amps

Thanks

Giannis_TDM

I think you misunderstood me. You said you make only a buck or two and a was just trying to encourage you. That is lot of individualized custom work,that is all. I also just asked you where you live and what the turnaround time is for everything, including shipping.

Are all your buck drivers fixed!

I assume you have a buck that is rectangular?

At what amperage do you need to sink it and is it the usual method.

Do you think a boost could work for the Sharp 405.

I also need drivers for the 07 4 amps, and the the 44 4.5 amps

Thanks
The answers to most of these questions can be found in the datasheet I have made for the buck, Please check the main thread.
On that
The buck is indeed fixed
Yes it is rectangular(exact dimensions in the datasheet)
Depends, I haven't got a boost model yet that can do these high currents, I got other boost for lower currents that are tiny, High current boost in development.
Buck can supply up to 3A, Needs heatsinking if you plan on running the diode for more than 40s, If run sub-30s duty cycles my testing shows that no heatsinking is required but its recommended. At currents below 2A it can be fully omitted for duty cycles lower than 2 min.

Hi,
I been reading this post off and on Please dont mistake the Sharp 405 setting to the BDR-209/405 . The Sharp has guts to were the 209 if very fussy about being pushed resulting in failure in little time. The 209 at 1A is like pushing for the Holy Grail , not happening.
besides the 209 is a 3.8mm diode to were the Sharp is a 5.6mm diode. And may I add that the divergence of the Sharp is outstanding like the 209 with a G2. I built plenty Sharps all are very efficient . But thats for the user to decide .
Rich:)

Hi,
I been reading this post off and on Please dont mistake the Sharp 405 setting to the BDR-209/405 . The Sharp has guts to were the 209 if very fussy about being pushed resulting in failure in little time. The 209 at 1A is like pushing for the Holy Grail , not happening.
besides the 209 is a 3.8mm diode to were the Sharp is a 5.6mm diode. And may I add that the divergence of the Sharp is outstanding like the 209 with a G2. I built plenty Sharps all are very efficient . But thats for the user to decide .
Rich, I have a 209 that is still alive after I built it quite a few years ago, but it was not pushed. How many Sharp 405s do you think you have out there. And is it 1.2 like you did with the Astral it are you going to 1.5 at this point.

Hi,
I have done 5 Sharp builds , so far so good. 1.5A if fine for the Sharp at a little harder no problem. Again the divergence is great with a G2 if you need for enhancement use another lens , your not going to loose much mW's .
As for your BDR-209 how often do you really use it and and at what duty cycle. Basically after all the years with the 209 i'm a Sharp guy now.
Hey I have two BDR-209 Sleds for sale brand new ...

I have not used the BDR that much. What reading do you get on your lpm for the BDR.
The Astral Driver that I got had a pot that did not work. I suppose I could have just used it at the 1.2 amperages but I was concerned that it might have other problems and sure enough, it just conked out. I would like to try another one. Since the ACS1500 is unavailable, how about the 4500.....or will it peak before settling down? I can't find anybody who has used any of Survival Lasers fixed or adjustable drivers.