Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dragonlasers beam expander video

Amnizu

I checked my email this morning, and they now have a video of how to use their beam expander. It actually attaches right onto several of their laser pointers; the Viper, the Spartan, and the Aurora series, using the existing threads for the lens caps. It's pretty sweet, for 75 bucks I'm definitely gonna have to pick one of these up for my Spartan.

Beam expander: http://www.dragonlasers.com/catalog/Laser-Optics-price0-p-1-c-285.html

It appears they make you pay $5 for each of the three different adaptors, then you buy the actual unit itself. Still a better price than LaserGlow, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoIIpzu-OE4

Re: Dragonlasers beam expander

Kick a$$!
First thing in my head:

GB? I know that lots of us want that thing.

VW

The Spartan BP should hopefully benefit from this a LOT... I'm buying!  Soon...  :-/

Saying that, I wonder how it effects power...

diachi

it shouldn't affect power badly, its lenses are AR coated for 470-650nm I think, so not much power loss

Why does he have to show us sticking batteries in the laser... I mean, come on. We want to see the expander, not how to put batteries in our lasers...

rathat said:
hmm do you thing it could fit on an x?
If you mean X-Series laser, then yes. You have to buy the adapter for the viper series laser though.

VW

So in comparison, why is this so much cheaper than Laserglow's?

lam3

VW said:
So in comparison, why is this so much cheaper than Laserglow's?

Why does the item need to be so expensive?

And if you're the only one on the market selling it, and people want it, yeah, you can ask a high price.

Not saying there aren't minor quality differences, but I doubt it's big.

VW

I'm going to pick this up in a couple of weeks, for the Spartan BP to have a chance of better divergence (0.12mrad!) is an opertunity too good to miss. One thing it suffers is a sharp end tail to the beam on a cloudy or light poluted night, most likely due to the lack of power (and wavelength). So I think adding this to it will deffinately make it more complete as a laser to own. It sure looks a lot cooler and even has a protective lens cap so they're bonus' already.

Amnizu

I'm definitely getting one of these for my Spartan GW, and since they have an adaptor for the Aurora series, it's likely I could fit one on my Aquarius-5. They're just about the same form factor, as far as I can tell, they use the same batteries.

hmm interesting little device. i too got an email about their new video on youtube b/c i'm subscribed to their videos... not that I like their videos, just to get my videos out there too.

i recently bought a viper 125 (not from DL, from some guy offering it for $140 on CPF) and some little optics caps were included, they seem to work just fine so i really don't see much of a purpose for this $75 device....

just my $0.02

sk8er4514 said:
hmm interesting little device. i too got an email about their new video on youtube b/c i'm subscribed to their videos... not that I like their videos, just to get my videos out there too.

i recently bought a viper 125 (not from DL, from some guy offering it for $140 on CPF) and some little optics caps were included, they seem to work just fine so i really don't see much of a purpose for this $75 device....

just my $0.02
With a beam expander you can do burning tricks at much farther distances than without the expander. As an example my DIY labby that can light matches at 5 feet max can light matches at over 20 feet with my makeshift beam expander setup. $75 is probably worth it to someone who bought a green laser mainly for burning.

Windstrings has a video somewhere where he popped a balloon from 150 feet with a beam expander on his 300mW Herc.