Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dragon Lasers 589nm 50mw Handheld

Speaking of which, I wonder what laserglow will do now as well, wonder what their prices will become.

I TRULY believe DL is selling these until they are out of stock and will then not carry them.
This is true. I sent DL an e-mail 2 days ago about these 589's and Adam said they are now back in stock but they will not be available in the near future. When this stock is gone they are gone. Hope we get this order in before then

I am totally in for one of these, PM sent!

Glad someone decided to put together a GB for these, its the push I needed to get one of these.

I finally took the time to pull the Ophir out and out it on the meter. Much to my surprise it peaked at 106mw and for the first 30 seconds stayed above 80mw. After about 35 seconds it started to drop off but never went below 57mw all the way up to 60 seconds. I wouldn't normally run it this long except for a cold start and once in a blue moon. I tried to snap a picture of the 106mw reading but the focus on my iPhone caused it to delay enough to where I only caught it reading 97mW. Next time I will take a video. Also, I didn't catch a direct pic on the Ophir head with the gold dot on the sensor but you can easily tell by the splash that it's a 589.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 61
Three more people are needed. I decided to buy two, I believe Issac's reasoning may be correct and when these are gone, they will be gone. They could be a good investment if there ever was one when it came to handhelds.

still not bad. 106 is pretty darn good. I get about that with mine at TEM 02 lately. I think the alignment walked a bit. It likes that mode alot for some reason.

My question is...

How come DL all of a sudden stop carrying a bunch of lasers? I mean they used to have a lot of different types of 473nm, 589nm, 594nm etc...but now they barely have anything :(

-Alex

IsaacT

My question is...

How come DL all of a sudden stop carrying a bunch of lasers? I mean they used to have a lot of different types of 473nm, 589nm, 594nm etc...but now they barely have anything :(

-Alex

If you read the post I made above I speculated that because CNI is boosting their prices by as much as 100%, and DL sells CNI lasers, and since people don't buy the really expensive ones much, that they are letting them sell out because it would be a stupid business move to buy something that will never sell. So. Get them while you can. This apex of price/mW/wavelength is on its decline and we won't see deals like these for a long while yet.

If you read the post I made above I speculated that because CNI is boosting their prices by as much as 100%, and DL sells CNI lasers, and since people don't buy the really expensive ones much, that they are letting them sell out because it would be a stupid business move to buy something that will never sell. So. Get them while you can. This apex of price/mW/wavelength is on its decline and we won't see deals like these for a long while yet.

Alright, thank you for clarifying "IT" :) sadly, im still iffy about this. I mean it does sound cool and the fact that DL will stop carrying them makes it a plus but then again...I really always wanted a Rigel since the time I got into this hobby and am not as excited for 589.

I'll just keep an eye over this thread :)

-Alex

Last edited:

IsaacT

Alright, thank you for clarifying "IT" :) sadly, im still iffy about this. I mean it does sound cool and the fact that DL will stop carrying them makes it a plus but then again...I really always wanted a Rigel since the time I got into this hobby and am not as excited for 589.

I'll just keep an eye over this thread :)

-Alex

I have owned a Rigel. I have owned the Spartan(do own it). I can tell you from experience that the Rigel is cool but (a) the output is low (b) the stability is bad and (c) I sold the Rigel so I could get a more powerful yellow.

You get a golden beam and you want to be able to see it at night. You want to be able to appreciate more than just a dim dot.

YES. Grow your collection of lower power lasers. I think it is awesome! I had one going for a while but I gave up on it.

BUT. You can either buy a 589(the best color of yellow IMHO) now for 385 dollars total and then a Rigel later on for its normal price. OR you can buy the Rigel now, and then decide you want a more powerful yellow and spend 1200 on it in a few months.

SO. I strongly recommend getting the thing that won't be on the table forever. People love the rigel but people drool over this 589.

I won't try much more to convince you. I get nothing from trying to convince you. But I want people to be able to enjoy the wavelengths they want to enjoy without spending an arm and a leg because they do not think of the market shifts that are occurring.

Just my dos centavos. And then some.
-Isaac

I have owned a Rigel. I have owned the Spartan(do own it). I can tell you from experience that the Rigel is cool but (a) the output is low (b) the stability is bad and (c) I sold the Rigel so I could get a more powerful yellow.

You get a golden beam and you want to be able to see it at night. You want to be able to appreciate more than just a dim dot.

YES. Grow your collection of lower power lasers. I think it is awesome! I had one going for a while but I gave up on it.

BUT. You can either buy a 589(the best color of yellow IMHO) now for 385 dollars total and then a Rigel later on for its normal price. OR you can buy the Rigel now, and then decide you want a more powerful yellow and spend 1200 on it in a few months.

SO. I strongly recommend getting the thing that won't be on the table forever. People love the rigel but people drool over this 589.

I won't try much more to convince you. I get nothing from trying to convince you. But I want people to be able to enjoy the wavelengths they want to enjoy without spending an arm and a leg because they do not think of the market shifts that are occurring.

Just my dos centavos. And then some.
-Isaac

I agree with him on this one. and If i'm not mistaken, they do have the ability to cut them to 5mW is you're that hung up on it. but then you'll have a CW one instead of a pulsed one, and it'll be able to run for more than 30 seconds. (and if they can't I certainly can. I make my PGL-C 5mW all the time for long steady runs.) its nothing like those little pointers. this is the cheapest we've ever seen these. and likely as cheap as they'll ever be. if you want one. get one NOW.

speak now or forever hold your peace on it. and you can always resell it if you don't like it too.

Last edited:

IsaacT

I agree with him on this one. and If i'm not mistaken, they do have the ability to cut them to 5mW is you're that hung up on it. but then you'll have a CW one instead of a pulsed one, and it'll be able to run for more than 30 seconds. (and if they can't I certainly can. I make my PGL-C 5mW all the time for long steady runs.) its nothing like those little pointers. this is the cheapest we've ever seen these. and likely as cheap as they'll ever be. if you want one. get one NOW.

speak now or forever hold your peace on it. and you can always resell it if you don't like it too.

They are actually not pulsed to start out with haha. And I get about a minute of duty cycle for mine. That said, modding it to 5mW sounds like a cool idea for a really long lasting, optic/crystal preserving laser.

Last edited:
They are actually not pulsed to start out with haha. And I get about a minute of duty cycle for mine. That said, modding it to 5mW sounds like a cool idea for a really long lasting, optic/crystal preserving laser.

you need to read more carefully my friend. I said "and it will be CW not pulsed" because I was referring it to the GLP-589 (LG's Rigel HV) which is like the 473 version and is pulsed at 700Hz. the larger ones are CW. :)

and yes I use it for several things, so I routinely end up having to modify it for each objective. I do frequently run it low power to preserve the laser, but still enjoy the color. as well as for comparison with the 594.1 wavelength. I love it to just enjoy the color, as well as making it a sighting laser. the divergence improves when the power is cut, as it brings the beam diameter down. because the c-mount pump beam shrinks. allowing you to make a very impressively thin beam if you do it right. I can make it like a Vega, and make it run for a very long time. several minutes and it barely gets the host warm.

IsaacT

you need to read more carefully my friend. I said "and it will be CW not pulsed" because I was referring it to the GLP-589 (LG's Rigel HV) which is like the 473 version and is pulsed at 700Hz. the larger ones are CW. :)

and yes I use it for several things, so I routinely end up having to modify it for each objective. I do frequently run it low power to preserve the laser, but still enjoy the color. as well as for comparison with the 594.1 wavelength. I love it to just enjoy the color, as well as making it a sighting laser. the divergence improves when the power is cut, as it brings the beam diameter down. because the c-mount pump beam shrinks. allowing you to make a very impressively thin beam if you do it right. I can make it like a Vega, and make it run for a very long time. several minutes and it barely gets the host warm.

AHH! I misread the context of the pronoun haha. Thought you meant reducing power would allow CW usage instead of necessitating a pulsed operation, but I see what you are saying now. :beer:

EDIT: all this talking is making me thirsty for golden photons! bbl I goota go play with my Spartan :D

Last edited:
hehe speaking of pulsed lasers...I wish I could take photos at the lab....what do you get when you have flashlamp pumped yag and said 588.6nm crystals and substrates laying around....:whistle: