Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dorcy Blu ray laser??

np m8 :beer: i hope your dorcy will shine again when you get your new drive :yh: dorcy jr looks so awesome, i just finished mine to and its absolutely one of my best looking lasers :san:

p.s. dont forget to think of the duty cycle when you use your laser, it may not be needed but you can never be to carefull right?:D and eye protection you really dont want a reflection or whatever in your eyes

np m8 :beer: i hope your dorcy will shine again when you get your new drive :yh: dorcy jr looks so awesome, i just finished mine to and its absolutely one of my best looking lasers :san:

p.s. dont forget to think of the duty cycle when you use your laser, it may not be needed but you can never be to carefull right?:D and eye protection you really dont want a reflection or whatever in your eyes

It sure will :D

Hey Id love to see pictures of yours, what settings do you have yours?

P.s What do you mean about duty cycles? Is that the amount of time I should use it then leave it off for it to cool down?

i could take some pic's if im not to lazy
flexdrive 415mA 12x blu-ray diode
and yup exactly what i mean

Jesus! That thing has got to be really powerful. I bet it melts away things at a distance.

yea it seems to be powerfull im just waiting for my lens to arrive and my powermeter to test this laser
i burned my girlfriend her hand at 15 meters lol she wouldnt believe so she had to feel it
im kinda in the progress to make some sort of focus adapter, i just keep burning my fingers while focussing it:san:

lol that is funny :D. So what kind of driver do you have, is a flexdrive like the one I bought? And this diode, I don't think hightechdealz sells it right?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm wanting something really powerful for myself in the future.

a flexdrive v5 but oi dont recoment using it for these currents check the "12x diodes" thread and nope htd isnt selling those i bought it from a member here, you could buy a 12x bluray burner and extract it from there but im not the best when it comes to harvesting diodes from drives lol
and these diodes or drives cost around $200 might be a expensive bet if your not to good at soldering

i would say your best bet would be, a flexdrive @200ma, a GGW H20L diode already pressed in aixis that makes it easy for you, and a 405nm lens i told you about, the host is up to you as long as you can give the flex drive 3 to 5,5 volts

cant open link..
you could buy diodes from members here or shops like modwerx, hightechdeal or any of those other shops most will sell diodes pressed in aixis modules though
and about your diode it MIGHT be a low efficient one and preform lower than usual diodes but it was a phr right? it should sting your skin lightly if you focus right
the lens wil increase the power of your laser so yea it can increase burning power.. BUT by 25 to 31%, a usual phr does 80-100mW so i gues you wont notice really much do the math yourself:) just try to get a ggw or somthing, hightechdeals sells those pretty cheap and already in aixis module PLUS you get the sled to theres a nice red diode( like 200mW) in there, some cool optics and a IR laser

Last edited:
Hey 41i3n777, nice build there! One thing to watch out for when soldering the diode directly to the driver is pressure from the battery pushing on the positive contact of the driver. I have a pen build with the diode directly connected like that and noticed that over time the pressure of the battery pushing against the driver board/contact point caused the diode pins to twist and flatten out against the back of the diode which caused a short. My diode lived (thankfully since it's a 10x) and I have since wedged some stiff paper shims between the diode and driver so that they take the pressure off of the diode pins.

Thank you Cenobite9! I'm very proud of it actually. I since then have built two dorcy lasers. I'm still not completely satisfied with the power... Right now it is running at 120ma, not bad for the burning power, I was told the 6x that hightechdealz sells are quite an improvement doubled with a better lens. Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can get some shims in there to help relieve the pressure...

Do you have any pictures of yours? I bet that thing rocks :D

Nice build indeed, the Dorcy has always been one of my favorite choice of hosts. Using shims for stability is good advice. Erasers work well too.

cant open link..
you could buy diodes from members here or shops like modwerx, hightechdeal or any of those other shops most will sell diodes pressed in aixis modules though
and about your diode it MIGHT be a low efficient one and preform lower than usual diodes but it was a phr right? it should sting your skin lightly if you focus right
the lens wil increase the power of your laser so yea it can increase burning power.. BUT by 25 to 31%, a usual phr does 80-100mW so i gues you wont notice really much do the math yourself:) just try to get a ggw or somthing, hightechdeals sells those pretty cheap and already in aixis module PLUS you get the sled to theres a nice red diode( like 200mW) in there, some cool optics and a IR laser

Yes mines is a PHR

405nm PHR-803T Blu Ray Laser Diode [PHR-803T] - $17.28 : High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby!

Actually when focused it does sting my hand and does smoke when I point it at dark objects. I was looking at some of the diodes hightechdeals sells and I found the one that your talking about.

405nm GGW-H20L 6x Blu Ray Diode in Aixiz Module +650nm LCC diode [GGW-H20L] - $56.82 : High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby!

Now would this be a huge improvement? For power... Lighting cigars, poping balloons at a distance etc...

Yes mines is a PHR

405nm PHR-803T Blu Ray Laser Diode [PHR-803T] - $17.28 : High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby!

Actually when focused it does sting my hand and does smoke when I point it at dark objects. I was looking at some of the diodes hightechdeals sells and I found the one that your talking about.

405nm GGW-H20L 6x Blu Ray Diode in Aixiz Module +650nm LCC diode [GGW-H20L] - $56.82 : High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby!

Now would this be a huge improvement? For power... Lighting cigars, poping balloons at a distance etc...

would be about +\-2x as strong, lighting cigars with it ..i dont know lol i dont smoke
and it sounds like your phr is fine..

I don't know about lighting cigars but lighting cigarettes sure takes a steady hand and a lot of power. My 10x at 485mW can light a cigarette but it takes it 20 seconds or so and the cigarette and laser have to be really steady. My new 12x 405nm Dorcy build may be able to light a cig in less time since it's putting out 560mW.