Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Don't stare at the sun.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...blinded-in-India-looking-for-Virgin-Mary.html

Dozens blinded in India looking for Virgin Mary

news-graphics-2008-_658735a.jpg

By Sarah Herman
Last Updated: 2:00AM GMT 16 Mar 2008
A statue of the Virgin Mary.
The Virgin Mary apparition was reported above a hotelier's home

At least 50 people have lost their sight after staring at the sun hoping to see an image of the Virgin Mary, according to reports.

Alarmed health authorities in India's Kottayam district have set up a sign dispelling rumours of a miraculous image in the sky and warning of the dangers of looking into direct sunlight.

Forty-eight cases of sight-loss, allegedly caused by photochemical burns on the retina, have been recorded at St Joseph's ENT and Eye hospital in the region since Friday.

Despite warnings, and the potentially harmful effects of their actions, believers are allegedly still flocking to a hotelier's house in Erumeli near where the divine image is said to have appeared.

"All our patients have similar history and symptoms… They have developed photochemical, not thermal, burns after continuously gazing at the sun," Dr Annamma James Isaac, the hospital's ophthalmologist said.

Even churches in the area have disowned the miracle after health officers and doctors approached the clergy.

The house where the miracle is said to have occurred has apparently been the subject of rumours for months.

The hotelier, who has since moved, had claimed that statues of the Virgin Mary in his house have been crying honey and bleeding oils and perfumes.

Ace82

Or at least wear sunglasses. ;D

I'm going to change my custom text because of this.

This aint a Darwin award as they didn't die from that act. I wonder if a Laser can Atomize someone.

"At least 50 people have lost their sight after staring at the sun hoping to see an image of the Virgin Mary, according to reports."

PahLEASE GIVE THESE PEOPLE THE DARWIN AWARD!!

when I was in 4th grade I stared at the sun for about a minute or 2 (maybe 3!!) strait. well that finally caught up to me in 7th grade, my vision got worse, and now it's pretty bad lol. my left eye is -2.75 and right is -2.25 whatever that means. I cant see things far away clearly (far away being 15 feet or more). It's mainly text and faces that are hard to see from a distance. now I'll be in 11th grade and hopefully my vision doesn't continue to get worse. These lasers probably aren't helping...

[highlight]edit:[/highlight] you know what was ironic? I was going to a private catholic school at the time.

mikeeey said:
when I was in 4th grade I stared at the sun for about a minute or 2 (maybe 3!!) strait. well that finally caught up to me in 7th grade, my vision got worse, and now it's pretty bad lol. my left eye is -2.75 and right is -2.25 whatever that means. I cant see things far away clearly (far away being 15 feet or more). It's mainly text and faces that are hard to see from a distance. now I'll be in 11th grade and hopefully my vision doesn't continue to get worse. These lasers probably aren't helping...

[highlight]edit:[/highlight] you know what was ironic? I was going to a private catholic school at the time.
As far as I know looking to the sun or staring at a laser dot won't make you have myopia,hyperopia and all this stuff,so no link between the events.

rkcstr

mikeeey said:

I doubt it was the sun that caused that, nearsightedness is typically changes in your cornea, not retina, which is what would be affected by staring at the sun.  I never stared at the sun and my corrective lenses are -8.75 each eye... way worse than yours  :p

rkcstr said:
[quote author=mikeeey link=1217345295/0#7 date=1217364432]when I was in 4th grade I stared at the sun for about a minute or 2 (maybe 3!!) strait. well that finally caught up to me in 7th grade, my vision got worse, and now it's pretty bad lol. my left eye is -2.75 and right is -2.25 whatever that means. I cant see things far away clearly (far away being 15 feet or more). It's mainly text and faces that are hard to see from a distance. now I'll be in 11th grade and hopefully my vision doesn't continue to get worse. These lasers probably aren't helping...

I doubt it was the sun that caused that, nearsightedness is typically changes in your cornea, not retina, which is what would be affected by staring at the sun.  I never stared at the sun and my corrective lenses are -8.75 each eye... way worse than yours  :p[/quote]
lol wow, but -2.75 is bad enough already, in order to see someone's license plate I have to be standing 10 - 15 feet away from it. What is your vision like?