Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dont Buy Sanwu's 1.6W Blue Laser

dylpickol

I recently bought Sanwu's 1.6W Laser and it is almost worthless. I can't see the beam in foggy or dark areas. I can't even see any light from the laser unless I am an inch away from the surface I'm pointing it at. I've heard good things about Sanwu on this forum and I expected better. 2 Flat Top 18350 Batteries do not work with this laser even though that's what Sanwu's website said to use. I am using a 18650 Button Top battery since it's the only one that will work. This is advertised as a True Burning Laser with power I wouldn't expect. I certainly didn't expect what I received after I read and purchased the laser I thought I was buying. I've typed the URL of two videos of the laser I received.

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=bCIOHwOTOgk
ww.youtube.com/watch?v=XlQsAZc2q9o

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Sanwu has a pretty good reputation in these parts. They have decent customer service. Have you bugged them about it?

dylpickol

Yes but they don't respond until 3a.m. my time. Not sure what they could do about this situation.
Sanwu has a pretty good reputation in these parts. They have decent customer service. Have you bugged them about it?

I suspect the batteries. If they advise 2x 18350 batteries, it probably needs the extra voltage that 1x 18650 can't supply. You likely only see dim output because of that.

How do the shorter 18350s not work? Too wide, too long, too short, no output?

dylpickol

I suspect the batteries. If they advise 2x 18350 batteries, it probably needs the extra voltage that 1x 18650 can't supply. You likely only see dim output because of that.

How do the shorter 18350s not work? Too wide, too long, too short, no output?
The batteries fit fine I think. They are the same width but very slightly longer. I just charged them and it they just don't work with the laser. I bought the Keeppower 18350 batteries on amazon.

Sowee7

from the video, the diode could be dead or below threshold

I also recently placed an order from Sanwu. I received (2) Striker 7.5 watt lasers and it only took 7 days to arrive from the time or ordering. Both lasers are freaking gorgeous and are also ridiculously powerful!
I suspect you’re either doing something wrong like using only one battery.. luckily, even if there is a problem with your unit, you have a 1 year warranty and they will fix it

Just watched your video.. looks like you got one of their cheapies, makes more sense lol. Probably just got a bad one, have them replace it

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I recently bought Sanwu's 1.6W Laser and it is almost worthless. I can't see the beam in foggy or dark areas. I can't even see any light from the laser unless I am an inch away from the surface I'm pointing it at. I've heard good things about Sanwu on this forum and I expected better. 2 Flat Top 18350 Batteries do not work with this laser even though that's what Sanwu's website said to use. I am using a 18650 Button Top battery since it's the only one that will work. This is advertised as a True Burning Laser with power I wouldn't expect. I certainly didn't expect what I received after I read and purchased the laser I thought I was buying. I've typed the URL of two videos of the laser I received.

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=bCIOHwOTOgk
ww.youtube.com/watch?v=XlQsAZc2q9o
Your laser is faulty as the diode is barely lasing. It's essentially an LED. You need to get a replacement from Sanwu.

BUT
be very sure the you are using the correct voltage- ONE 18650 cannot make much more than 3.7vdc and looks to me that you laser needs more like 7.4 vdc-- try again with new and better fully charged 18350s==good luck-send it back If I am wrong.

Giannis_TDM

BUT
be very sure the you are using the correct voltage- ONE 18650 cannot make much more than 3.7vdc and looks to me that you laser needs more like 7.4 vdc-- try again with new and better fully charged 18350s==good luck-send it back If I am wrong.
His laser actually should need about 5v Max if not using a boost driver, If the driver is boost it will have no problems with 3.7

PhotonFuton

I had the same battery fit issue with the Sanwu 1.6w. Two flat-top 18350s will not reliably reach the tail contact, so I add a thin disk magnet to the battery terminal closest to the tail, or between the batts (I avoid placing the magnet against the head’s contact spring in case it gets stuck there).

Having a collection of plated, small, rare earth magnets is surprisingly useful for fitting batteries in general. In fact, I got the 1.6w before I received 18350s, so I built a temporary battery with RCR2 batts joined with long line of tiny cube magnets. Terrible capacity, but great in a pinch.

FWIW, I’ve had mixed luck finding reliable 18350s. Three pairs of different brands have each had at least one batt with high internal resistance, even when purchased from a good vendor like Battery Junction.

Also, if you have multiple 301 hosts, you can “harvest” extension tubes from other hosts to extend the barrel far enough to fit two 18650s. Weirdly long, but great capacity.

Once the 1.6w is properly powered (and yes, it should be much easier to power), it’s a great laser. From my limited experience, what you’re experiencing is insufficient voltage.