Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

done

Re: Firecrackers in Canada

I have been looking around trying get score some firecrackers. They have been banned in Canada however I hear they can still be bought from some places. Any Canadians know where to get some mighty mites or black cats or happen to have any they would sell? Or any Americans coming to Toronto anytime soon and want to bring a brick up? (wishful thinking... i know :D)

I don't know what sparked this interest for me... i just remember my dad was talking about him playing with these as a kid.

They are NOT prohibited in Canada! If a Police Officer tells you so, they don't know the law. You need a licence from the ministry of energy and mines and be over 18. You need to get a public display permit. Firecrackers can be purchased with a licence from BEM or other distributer.
I have done so myself. I have also made them myself and set them off. Firecrackers bore me btw... The only firecrackers that can be purchased in Canada suitable for a public display are flashlight firecrackers and contain a relatively small amount of flash powder.

Last edited:

The only firecrackers that can be purchased in Canada suitable for a public display are flashlight firecrackers and contain a relatively small amount of flash powder.

Those sound like some decidedly lame "firecrackers".

Those sound like some decidedly lame "firecrackers".

Actually, they are just as loud as a regular firecracker! No joke!!
...FYI, As of 2003 firecrackers became legal again to purchase in Canada with the proper paperwork.

For anyone EVEN contemplating making any kind of flash powder, DON'T! Unless you are trained to work around strong oxidizers and metal powders. Don't even try. One static spark can and will ruin your day or your neighbours day! fine dust metal has a habit of conducting the smallest charges and igniting explosively in an enclosed space. Also water/moisture and some organic materials in the right form can set of some kinds of flash mixes or make them highly super sensitive.

Last edited:

Actually, they are just as loud as a regular firecracker! No joke!!
...FYI, As of 2003 firecrackers became legal again to purchase in Canada with the proper paperwork.

Lol, maybe "sound" was the wrong word to use as a descriptive term:p

Maybe I'll go visit Jeffrey and Flamynpyro one day... those two probably have some fantastic fireworks.

JLSE

@op

I order the 2 part PyroPak from here > Fireworks*Canada*::*PYROTECHNICS*::*PYROPAK*-*2...

When mixed you get about an oz and its very stable stuff.. The only thing is
(IIRC) you need a Lic# to get it. This is the same brand I used in my 3.5W video
along with 'fast sparkle' from the same company. The website above requires
a LIC# but im not sure if the general public can purchase.. That particular
site requires a # for most, if not all of their pyro stuff..

In Canada I also found that you cannot buy visco fuse.. As 'tieing' roman
candles together is illegal for the general public :crackup:

Last edited:

The man who owns this company is a close friend of mine Tom DeWille we have worked on many shows together, I did Reba for him when he had her contract. this guy basically started indoor pyro as we know it today with Kiss back in the 70's, yep Tom is a true pyro and good friend !

@op

I order the 2 part PyroPak from here > Fireworks*Canada*::*PYROTECHNICS*::*PYROPAK*-*2...

When mixed you get about an oz and its very stable stuff.. The only thing is
(IIRC) you need a Lic# to get it. This is the same brand I used in my 3.5W video
along with 'fast sparkle' from the same company. The website above requires
a LIC# but im not sure if the general public can purchase.. That particular
site requires a # for most, if not all of their pyro stuff..

In Canada I also found that you cannot buy visco fuse.. As 'tieing' roman
candles together is illegal for the general public :crackup:

JLSE

The man who owns this company is a close friend of mine Tom DeWille we have worked on many shows together, I did Reba for him when he had her contract. this guy basically started indoor pyro as we know it today with Kiss back in the 70's, yep Tom is a true pyro and good friend !

Haha.. small world :D They make some awesome products.. Tell me, why did they
stop making 'Red Flame Additive'?? The last time I bought some was back in 05'.
I looked recently as the collisium airburst powder I had expired, and when ordering
I could not find the flame additive...

I looked on their site to no avail. Its a 1 part red oxidizer... Wish I knew what
was in it at least, has a really nice effect..

The word you are looking for is Strontium Nitrate, and a little cab-0-sil for float.

The other word of the day is BigBird...

Haha.. small world :D They make some awesome products.. Tell me, why did they
stop making 'Red Flame Additive'?? The last time I bought some was back in 05'.
I looked recently as the collisium airburst powder I had expired, and when ordering
I could not find the flame additive...

I looked on their site to no avail. Its a 1 part red oxidizer... Wish I knew what
was in it at least, has a really nice effect..

Last edited:

Wow - I grew up in New York State about 9 or 10 miles from Canada and as kids ( 10 to 12 yrs. old ) we used to take busses and bring firecrackers back FROM Canada to USA.

So they are finally banned in Canada- well too many kids getting hurt I guess....

Again, they aren't banned as that indicates a complete prohibition. They are restricted to those who hold a professional/display certificate.

Well , since this is the Internet - I was telling an anecdotal story about bringing firecrackers across an International Border ( Canada to USA ) decades ago as Elementary School Children.

This was before Terrorists.

I do NOT suggest ANYONE smuggle ANYTHING or do anything illegal.

Also- be very careful with Flash Powder- if it's the recipe used originally for flash camera photography or similar-it is MORE explosive than ordinary gunpowder, and can be very dangerous.

yup you got that right!
Smuggle fireworks and it = a permaban from the US/CAN border! Also customs agents can and do use explosive detectors to sniff for explosives. Chlorates and Nitrates show up rather easily.

The old time flashpowder was based on Potassium Permanganate. In open air the mixture
deflagrates at around 1600fps or 4x that of Blackpowder. Old style flash powder was responsible for many terrific explosions at camera studios. This was before they had Nitrocellulose based film.

JLSE

Potassium Permanganate. In open air the mixture
deflagrates at around 1600fps .

Folks in Henderson Nevada know this too well.. If you remember the incident at PepCon
thats precisely what was manufactured and stored there...

Folks in Henderson Nevada know this too well.. If you remember the incident at PepCon
thats precisely what was manufactured and stored there...

That was Ammonium Perchlorate for Solid Rocket fuel. Yeah... That was a BIG bang! 2nd or third largest man made non-nuclear blast ever recorded I believe? Explosion was recorded on seismometers as a 3.0M some 70Km away.

Ammonium Perchlorate Blast - YouTube

Last edited:

JLSE

:undecided: memory is slipping with age...

There has been many runs of that video over the years, I still am impressed with
the size of it, and the fact that a repair man was at the ready with his cam.

Here is one other video that is pretty crazy, not near the size of PepCon.. In this
video, I dont think the cameraman survived.. at least that is what is said on the
youtube channel.. I dont speak the language in the video, perhaps somebody
could shed some light on what the narrator says at the end..

Last edited:

:undecided: memory is slipping with age...

There has been many runs of that video over the years, I still am impressed with
the size of it, and the fact that a repair man was at the ready with his cam.

Here is one other video that is pretty crazy, not near the size of PepCon.. In this
video, I dont think the cameraman survived.. at least that is what is said on the
youtube channel.. I dont speak the language in the video, perhaps somebody
could shed some light on what the narrator says at the end..

This explosion (May 13th, 2000) was a result of a Dutch Fireworks firm in Enschede ordering and improperly storing 170 tons of Ammonium Perchlorate contaminated Potassium Perchlorate based flash powder from China.
Poor safety standards and a rumor of corperate sabotage (still unproven) led to a fire at the plant, triggering one of the most horrific, abiet dramatic CATO flash powder based explosions to date.
The Cameraman survived, and in a second video shows him taking refuge as a second more powerful blast completely levels the surrounding buildings.
This is one of a few incidents which led to the UN Recommendations on the transportation of Dangerous goods act.

Last edited: