Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does the original source of the laser matters?

Hey guys, I have two questions related to optical power.

1- If you have an optical output of 5W from a laser diode, 5W from a CO2 laser, and 5W from a fiber laser, is the output power the same? Do the origin nature of the laser beam (semiconductor, gas, etc) has an effect in the final beam? So, if I generate an optical output of 500W from a powerful laser diode array, that's the same optical power from 500W produced by a fiber glass laser. Am I wrong?

2- Right now I'm working with a 100w CO2 laser tube, and a NUBM31T, I don't have the equipment to measure that amount of power, but, besides the nano meters, it should be the same kind equipment, no matter if it's CO2 o semiconductor, am I wrong?
Thanks!

julianthedragon

For 1, the power output sounds like it's the same but in terms of how that beam will actually interact with different materials you want to think about the power density (power/area), beam profile, and what materials actually absorb each wavelength the best. Some wavelengths may absorb well into metal but not fabric for example, or vice versa

Thanks so much guys! I was bad at my reasoning about laser length, so the higher the wave length of the beam, the better the absorption of materials, right?

500w is 500w but the beam quality or rather the coherence length of a C02 laser is vastly superior to that cluster hump nubm31. If you are building a cnc cutter/engraver the C02 is what you want.
I've already made some tests, and with a NUBM31T at maximum of consumption, burning some stuff is greater than a 100W CO2 laser tube, it is 'cause the coherence length? or could it be 'cause a 100W is the power consumption of the laser, and not the real output?

For 1, the power output sounds like it's the same but in terms of how that beam will actually interact with different materials you want to think about the power density (power/area), beam profile, and what materials actually absorb each wavelength the best. Some wavelengths may absorb well into metal but not fabric for example, or vice versa
Based on this, fiberglass lasers should be the best option due the wavelength of the beam, however, can I consider plasma as "light"? or the physics of beams doesn't apply to this kind of source?

Just to clarify, I'm making a study of the different kinds of sources related to lasers implemented on industry, aerospace and defense; this in order to implement this results in automation and control systems.

Simple examples.

Take a green laser and a red laser and point it at your skin (if you are stupid). you will feel the effect of a green at a much lower mw than the red. Its not necessarily the wavelength being longer or shorter.

I have seen a 405nm laser smoke things with low mw rating because of how fine of a point you can make it. Usually, for most higher power lasers, the tighter the beam the higher the price. If you can focus 20 watts onto a 4mm by 4mm mirror, it will be much more expensive than the same 20 watts on a 10mm x 10mm mirror (Kvant Atom vs Spectrum vs Maxim)
Part of that also has to do with the technology being used, but ...

Plasma is different.