Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does Ophir Work With LaserBee?

Snecho

Hey guys, still trying to find the perfect LPM.

I know LaserBees have been set with OEM Ophir heads like the 20C. The thing is, the Ophirs have a 4 pin output befitting a Molex connector for example. But, the sensors that plug into the LaserBee seems to have a headphone jack AUX cable type connection. Anyone know how one could set up a lone LaserBee with a lone Ophir head?

As always, please forgive my stupidity.

Snecho

Hi, Get in touch with laserbee he will set this straight and give you more info.
Rich:)
Thanks Lifetime, but I've already talked to Jerry and it seems we have reached an impasse. I was hoping someone who has done this before could point me in the right direction.

If you stick with this hobby you will eventually have more than one LPM. For your first try to get just what is necessary to get a reasonably accurate measurement in the range of powers you will likely get over time. If price weren't an option you could get a new professional meter direct from the OEM. But, those are only necessary for people who work with lasers for a living and need the best to maintain them.

Encap

Answer to OP question: Yes, Ophir works with Laserbee. Laserbee consults for Ophir on an as needed, when needed basis. lol

The OP says out of the gate: "Hey guys, still trying to find the perfect LPM. " ??
Advice--Just imagine you have it-- a model "The Perfect LPM" made by the Acme Perfect LPM Company, for all intents and purposes being that you don't need an LPM for any real reason or purpose to begin with.

Do you own an Ophir head? Do you own a Laserbee LPM? If so post photos of same with a piece of paper with your nickname and the date on it in the photo.
Do you have any possibility squiring or prospect of buying an Ophir head and a Laserbee meter?
Do you have any real world use or purpose that requires and expensive combination like an Ophir head with Laserbee meter which would cost approx. about $500 to $600 or thereabouts to put together with used parts. To make with new parts is more. An Ophir 30 A sensor alone new and calibrated before shipment is $1000.00 to $1200.00 + top of the line LaserBee A10 RTA meter is about $375 with shipping see: https://www.laserbeelpm.com/laserbee-a10-rta.html
Do you need something like that to measure the output of one $5 mass produced 532nm toy level Chinese laser?
A 100x the price of the laser LPM made from used parts or a 300X the price of the laser LPM if made from new unused parts for what?

Not "perfect" but closer than most to perfect is Ophir's new state of the art Centauri Dual Channel P/N 7Z01701 High End Laser Power/Energy Meter --Meter only $2,362.00 without the sensors or any accessories-- see: https://www.ophiropt.com/laser--mea...ucts/laser-power-meters/centauri-dual-channel
You need to buy any accessories you want and any number of sensors of a given type as well + as many different types of sensors that you may need or want among the many Ophir offers of each type Ophir Thermal, Photodiode, Pyroelectric, and Beam Track Sensors see: https://www.ophiropt.com/laser--measurement/laser-power-energy-meters/products/Laser-Power-Sensors as well as energy sensors see: https://www.ophiropt.com/laser--measurement/laser-power-energy-meters/products/Laser-Energy-Sensors

A couple of sensors like a few other these: https://www.ophiropt.com/laser--mea...ermal-Power-Sensors/Low-Power-Thermal-Sensors average price of $1,200.00 each and you are up and running with a minimal size state of the art Ophir Centuri Dual Channel LPM kit for <$5,000.00 + shipping including 2 Ophir sensor and accessories

Last edited:

Snecho

If you stick with this hobby you will eventually have more than one LPM. For your first try to get just what is necessary to get a reasonably accurate measurement in the range of powers you will likely get over time.
Thanks Paul, I will definitely keep that in mind.
Lol

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BUT, the question remains. I've been led to believe by others here that you can buy an Ophir head, buy a LaserBee, and stick them together.

Has anyone here ever done this, or have any first hand experience doing this?

Last edited:
Hey guys, still trying to find the perfect LPM.

I know LaserBees have been set with OEM Ophir heads like the 20C. The thing is, the Ophirs have a 4 pin output befitting a Molex connector for example. But, the sensors that plug into the LaserBee seems to have a headphone jack AUX cable type connection. Anyone know how one could set up a lone LaserBee with a lone Ophir head?

As always, please forgive my stupidity.
As I've sated in numerous E-Mail replies to you through our
website...
There is no easy way to attach an OPHIR head to an existing
Non OPHIR head LaserBee LPM. We have sold limited editions
of a 5W and 7W LaserBee with NOS OPHIR Heads when we
had some Heads. These sold for $500-$700 at the time.

Each LaserBee LPM product is specifically calibrated to the
Thermopile Head it comes with. That is why the electronic
enclosure has the same Serial Number as the Thermopile
Head it was calibrated to.

If you do a little research on the Forum you can easily find
how to power an OPHIR 20C Head and use a DMM to read it.

If you want the perfect LPM with an OPHIR 20C Head... I would
suggest getting it directly from OPHIR. Be ready to spend
around $2000 to $3000 USD.

[EDIT]
Why not take advantage of the DIY OPHIR LPMs that seem
to be available in the Buy/Sell/Trade section here on LPF ??

Jerry

Snecho

As I've sated in numerous E-Mail replies to you through our
website...

There is no easy way to attach an OPHIR head to an existing
Non OPHIR head LaserBee LPM. We have sold limited editions
of a 5W and 7W LaserBee with NOS OPHIR Heads when we
had some Heads. These sold for $500-$700 at the time.

Each LaserBee LPM product is specifically calibrated to the
Thermopile Head it comes with. That is why the electronic
enclosure has the same Serial Number as the Thermopile
Head it was calibrated to.

If you do a little research on the Forum you can easily find
how to power an OPHIR 20C Head and use a DMM to read it.

If you want the perfect LPM with an OPHIR 20C Head... I would
suggest getting it directly from OPHIR. Be ready to spend
around $2000 to $3000 USD.

[EDIT]
Why not take advantage of the DIY OPHIR LPMs that seem
to be available in the Buy/Sell/Trade section here on LPF ??

Jerry
Thanks Jerry. In the emails, you never denied that it isn't possible to attach a separate Ophir head with a separate LaserBee by oneself. You only mentioned that they are calibrated to the thermopile they come with, that you sold Ophir ready made LaserBees before, if I saw the RTA10..etc. You did mention you can't use Ophir with your TEC based LPMs. In all honesty, I don't understand what TEC is, but now you said it's possible, but not easy.

Sorry for all the confusion.

By perfect LPM I'm of course meaning perfect for my needs, not the best LPM in the world lol. 🙃

As for the DIY Ophir B/S/T, Brendon told me he sold it.

So the question still stands.
I've been told it can be done and I have seen it done, so that's why I'm under this Ophir LaserBee impression.

Snecho

Thanks Hwang for finally explaining this in an informative way
You cannot just plug an Ophir head into any LaserBee unit. The LaserBee unit needs to have a circuit board input designed to read the Ophir sensor's outputs, whatever that may be. I believe the Ophir sensor outputs a voltage signal on the order of mV, but your LaserBee unit would need to know how to convert those mV's into a mW reading. It isn't super advanced electronics, but it does mean designing your own circuit board/finding a suitable circuit board to use, if one exists. If you're not comfortable with DIY'ing that circuit board, I'd either hunt for an Ophir-equipped LPM like Brendon's, or snag an Ophir sensor off of eBay when one comes up and ask Jerry if he can build a LaserBee LPM using your Ophir sensor
Sorry for all the confusion you guys ❤

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS