Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone own this flashlight?

Black Shadow Darth. Pretty nice light. Very nice quality materials and machine work with good mode separation. Magnetic control ring with Off, Low, Med, High, Strobe. Also has tail lock out switch to prevent parasitic drain when not in use. 3P 18650's. A bit under driven, but decent output. It's smaller than an SRK type light. So it's easier to carry. Has better throw than a typical SRK type light. My wife claimed it and won't let me mod it. She likes cool tints where I like neutral to warm tints.

Probably easy to resister mod to higher output, but the size of the light will limit run time on high if you do.

If you want something that is more compact than a SRK and want to step up in quality, I would recommend this light.

Black Shadow Darth. Pretty nice light. Very nice quality materials and machine work with good mode separation. Magnetic control ring with Off, Low, Med, High, Strobe. Also has tail lock out switch to prevent parasitic drain when not in use. 3P 18650's. A bit under driven, but decent output. It's smaller than an SRK type light. So it's easier to carry. Has better throw than a typical SRK type light. My wife claimed it and won't let me mod it. She likes cool tints where I like neutral to warm tints.

Probably easy to resister mod to higher output, but the size of the light will limit run time on high if you do.

If you want something that is more compact than a SRK and want to step up in quality, I would recommend this light.

Nice, I purchased this light today so was hoping someone that actually owns one would comment, quite glad I did now after your little review.

I studied quite a few this morning and after comparing output, size, price etc I chose this one over a Nitecore EA4, Eagletac GX25A3, X3LED SRK, and Sunwayman D40A.

It would be difficult to come out in front against competition like that so I'll be very impressed if it does once it arrives.

Thanks. :beer:

*EDIT...

Just read a review with some impressive pics.
I think this says it all...
Mouse over link.... BlackShadow Darth | BudgetLightForum.com
and I only paid $43 :)

Last edited:

Is that just dabbing some solder across where I have drawn those 2 yellow lines?

Attachments

• 14029028088_94299c1d08_b.jpg
    14029028088_94299c1d08_b.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 201
Definitely the resisters under the "A" circle. You probably know this, but they have a cumulative resistance of .005 ohms. Halving that resistance (e.g. adding 2 more R010 resisters) would theoretically double the current to your emitters. Other components on the driver might interfere with that though.

Adding a solder blob over the resistors will almost max out the current. If your emitters are well heat sinked, they should be safe since the 3 18650's are parallel. Ideally you should have a DMM connected in the path to your emitters so you can see what changes in current result.

I would recommend you change the resistance in steps. Less risky for your driver and emitters. Please report back if you do any changes. You're the first person I'm aware of that has tried to mod a Darth.

Last edited:
Definitely the resisters under the "A" circle. You probably know this, but they have a cumulative resistance of .005 ohms. Halving that resistance (e.g. adding 2 more R010 resisters) would theoretically double the current to your emitters. Other components on the driver might interfere with that though.

Adding a solder blob over the resistors will almost max out the current. If your emitters are well heat sinked, they should be safe since the 3 18650's are parallel. Ideally you should have a DMM connected in the path to your emitters so you can see what changes in current result.

I would recommend you change the resistance in steps. Less risky for your driver and emitters. Please report back if you do any changes. You're the first person I'm aware of that has tried to mod a Darth.

Thanks for the info.
There have been Darth mods done through the resistor jumping we spoke about.
It increased the lumen output from 1450 to 1900.
Nothing too fancy but not bad from a $40 flashlight and an easy risk free mod.
Cheers.

Tmack

Looks pretty decent. So you got it to 1900lm. Nice!

I would have recommended the d40a. Very nice light.

Last edited:
Looks pretty decent. So you got it to 1900lm. Nice!

I would have recommended the d40a. Very nice light.

I haven't personally yet, but will as soon as it arrives.
Was just letting ImA4Wheelr know that it has definitely been done, and the type of lumen output increase a mod like that would yield.

I've owned a D40A before, and was considering getting one again, very nice flashlight, but am after a bit more grunt this time.
Cheers.

Tmack

I would recommend a tk75. Very nice light. 2900lm.

It's crazy how they can say 5000lm for 3 xml.
The new minimax is getting about 3000 from 3 xml2's though.

From 3 xml you can definitely get around 2000 plus.
Will be super bright.

My two brightest are my X60vn (7500lm) and mm15vn (6500lm after dedomed)
The mm15vn is about as small as a soda can. Crazy stuff these led. 6500lm from 2 mtg2. Amazing.

Last edited:
I would recommend a tk75. Very nice light. 2900lm.

It's crazy how they can say 5000lm for 3 xml.
The new minimax is getting about 3000 from 3 xml2's though.

From 3 xml you can definitely get around 2000 plus.
Will be super bright.

My two brightest are my X60vn (7500lm) and mm15vn (6500lm after dedomed)
The mm15vn is about as small as a soda can. Crazy stuff these led. 6500lm from 2 mtg2. Amazing.

Wow, those are some crazy numbers for flashlights that are so small.
Thanks for your input, going to look up the ones you mentioned and see if I can get one for a decent price.

Cheers.

Have you received this light yet?

Yeah mate, received and resistors jumped.
Really happy with it, after the mod of course, just seemed to lack a bit of punch when it was as factory released.

Btw.... The resistors are jumped by adding solder/wire parrallel with the resistors, so basically rendering them useless, not as shown in pic.
The same as removing them and completing the circuit with wire.

@Tmack....haven't chosen anything yet but when ready I'll be sure to ask for your input, thanks bud.

Paul.

Great to hear. I was hoping this vender would deliver the goods as that is the best price I have seen.

Congrats on the new light and sucessful mod.