Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone else prefer the "classic" hosts over the fancier ones?

ixfd64

One thing I noticed is that the most popular lasers today have fancy-looking designs that resemble lightsabers and Gatling guns. However, I've always preferred the simplicity of CNI-style lasers. Although I already have the now-discontinued Spyder I Pro from Wicked Lasers — which actually looks quite nice too — I did often consider buying a CNI-style handheld from a reputable distributor like Laserglow or Optotronics. Same goes for SK-Y as their lasers had a similar look and feel. But it seems these lasers aren't easy to come by anymore. CNI no longer sells portables to anyone, and S-KY / LaserBtB ceased operations several years ago.

I do know the 30# lasers have a similar aesthetic and are still widely available. However, they are made of cheap parts and tend to max out at 100 mW or so. Sanwu does do quality control for their 304 series, but there are only a few lasers in that form factor. A lot of other companies like BigLasers.com and LuckLaser also make lasers with simple designs, but the consensus is that those companies are to be avoided. Some of them are said to be outright scams.

This is unfortunate because there aren't many options for someone who wants a CNI-style laser. I don't know if it's just me, but I think the "classic" style just looks better and more professional. It makes me feel like an expert and not just a kid with a cool toy. Can anyone else relate to this?

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I defiantly have to agree here, that classic CNI black and gold pen is still my favorite host ever. Was also the first laser that I ever owned that wasn't just a 1mW red. Back when those were still like $200 for just a 5mW 532nm. Wish I still had it. I completely understand why they won't sell complete handhelds, but it would be really cool if they'd at least sell the empty hosts so end users could build their own laser in it. I don't see why this would be a problem.

I generally prefer simple hosts myself, have never bought one of those Gatling gun ones lol My collection is pretty much all basic pens (pic below, also have a few Newwish style pens not in the picture). The two on the left are 5mW red and blue from Z-Bolt, the two blue one are 488nm pens for a Discord GB, the silver one is a Sanwu pocket 488, and the gold one is a 5mW 532 Lyra from LaserGlow.

DSC-0826.jpg

3.jpg

ixfd64

Glad I'm not the only one!

I completely understand why they won't sell complete handhelds, but it would be really cool if they'd at least sell the empty hosts so end users could build their own laser in it. I don't see why this would be a problem.

I did once write to Wicked Lasers to suggest that they sell the Spyder I Pro host to hobbyists who want to assemble their own lasers. Although they liked the idea, I guess the demand wasn't high enough.

Nice collection, by the way. :D

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I remember that WL very briefly did sell the host that the 405nm Sonar came in, but I guess it wasn't very big a seller and they stopped soon after.

I have built most of my lasers and I miss sinners many hosts that were offered about 5 years ago. I have many of his hosts. most are already built into high power lasers.

Rich who is longtime member Lifetime17 makes nice hosts and heat sinks for our favorite flashlight housings and he has them pre-wired for 12mm modules.

Here's a couple I got from him.

SANY3254.JPG

This one is currently available IINM
41c2fde2-47a7-43dc-83f0-e8341163f3ef-jpeg.75182

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I love seeing the history of laser products. Amazing that some of you have these vintage lasers

One thing I noticed is that the most popular lasers today have fancy-looking designs that resemble lightsabers and Gatling guns. However, I've always preferred the simplicity of CNI-style lasers. Although I already have the now-discontinued Spyder I Pro from Wicked Lasers — which actually looks quite nice too — I did often consider buying a CNI-style handheld from a reputable distributor like Laserglow or Optotronics. Same goes for SK-Y as their lasers had a similar look and feel. But it seems these lasers aren't easy to come by anymore. CNI no longer sells portables to anyone, and S-KY / LaserBtB ceased operations several years ago.

I do know the 30# lasers have a similar aesthetic and are still widely available. However, they are made of cheap parts and tend to max out at 100 mW or so. Sanwu does do quality control for their 304 series, but there are only a few lasers in that form factor. A lot of other companies like BigLasers.com and LuckLaser also make lasers with simple designs, but the consensus is that those companies are to be avoided. Some of them are said to be outright scams.

This is unfortunate because there aren't many options for someone who wants a CNI-style laser. I don't know if it's just me, but I think the "classic" style just looks better and more professional. It makes me feel like an expert and not just a kid with a cool toy. Can anyone else relate to this?

I noticed you didn't mention JET LASERS, they are very well reviewed and I understand they have great customer service as well.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hello, where exactly or how did you get those blue colored ones? i am pen style fan and those are beautiful

It was a while ago in a group buy on a Discord channel. Not sure what the supplier was, but I can ask.

The classic hosts I'd like to see with higher output lasers inside are those made for He-Ne tubes, like this Creatron "Highlighter" from 1989. But that's just me.

View attachment 75631

I love those old hosts. Would be sweet if we could get someone to 3d print some replicas and sell them on the forum or something. Would love to do a 1W build in one, but wouldn't want to actually mess around with a real one that is a part of laser history. :cool: