Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Documented injury from laser pointer

Evening all, I am not bringing up this topic to be a troll or stir up a hornet's nest but I'm wondering if there have been any reliable posts here documenting bodily injury due to a laser. I did a search both here and on Google and the only thing I came up with was a banned member with a troll post claiming he had burned a dot in his eye. I only ask because I am terrified of the power of the 200mW pointer I got and take every precaution including the safety goggles and common sense, but considering the availability of high powered lasers- especially cheap green ones throwing off a lot of IR- there doesn't seem to be any mention of injury. I hope this isn't inflammatory - no pun intended.:thanks:

I have not seen anything on the forums myself yet, nor have I ever read any news reports. I would supposed that so fare no one has been so permanently injured as to received the precedence of a full review. Though I would not doubt people have injured themselves enough to cause small vision problems that will show up later in life. Which of course may not be able to be linked directly to any exposure to laser light.

Very interesting link! Thank you for that, some of them sound very unusual while others are the classic "this will happen if you aren't careful". It should remind everyone never to treat a laser like a toy.

perhaps the "injuries" are fake! :eek:

This one definitely sounded a bit fishy to me:

Case: 5337
Year: 1999
During alignment of a light gas gun an operator in training reportedly "looked directly" into a 2.9 mW HeNe beam. Then TEN MONTHS LATER reported fact to supervisor claiming injury. A medical exam conducted at that time confirmed an eye injury.

2.9mW really? Looks like someone just looking for easy cash :crackup:

I burned my arm last week. That 12X will reach you further out than you mean think!

I saw some gross inside-the -eyeball photos at a safety laser seminar last week-

one shot was of a soldier that looked into the wrong end of a laser weapon guidence device-- ouch!!

And a bunch of ravers got eye-zapped in Russia recently. At the eseminar they said that many PRO laserists routinely make a non-stop video of the entire audience just in the event that later - in court- they can show that thier beams were not at the audience.