Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you leave the batteries in your lasers.

Do you leave the batteries in your lasers?

• Yes

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters
So do you leave the batteries in your lasers? Yea or nay. Give reasons for your answer.

Last edited:

Cel

Yes and no.

Over a short time, yes (few days).

Over a long time, no (more than a week).

It also depends on the laser.

Nope, Sure don't!

For safety reasons mostly, Think of a laser loaded with batteries like a small firearm with a couple of rounds in it
and assume everyone else around you has the brains of a small child.. What's the first thing they're going to do? :p

Also if one day your Li-Ion decides to explode, You'd also have a pipe bomb on your hands

Yes, don't really have to worry about the lasers turning on by themselves.
Too much of a hassle to unscrew the tailcap, insert the cells, and screw it back on to use the laser for a moment.

I do keep the rest of my cells in the refrigerator though.

Cheers!

Coby

You keep your cells in the fridge? o_O Why?

I remove my batteries when I don't use the laser for some time, don't know why but I'm always scared they'll start leaking or something...

You keep your cells in the fridge? o_O Why?

I remove my batteries when I don't use the laser for some time, don't know why but I'm always scared they'll start leaking or something...

Not exactly the fridge but the refrigerator because li-ions are under stress when exposed to heat, and <10 Celsius seems to be the sweet spot for maximum life.

I don't think li-ions leak, unless you're using alkalines... :)

Cheers! :beer:

I sure do remove the batteries.....
Just a habit to keep them fully charged when I need them.

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
I always remove them. I dont want someone picking up a laser and harming themselves or someone else.

Just had a minor incident the other day in fact, which reenforced my conviction. I was taking beam shots of a 2.3 W laser I'd built and nobody was around. I had just finished the photos when my fiancee's dad came over. Id left the laser on the table next to the computer not 2 mins after finishing the photos. I had told him how powerful and dangerous the laser was and within a few seconds he'd clicked it on very close to me. Admittedly it was towards the ground, but there were lots of possible reflective surfaces around me including a window, polished metal on chairs etc and by this time 3 people were standing around the table! I had enough time to close my eyes and yell at him...:(

Last edited:
You can put as many warning decals on them as you want and it doesn't even seem to get the message across, only make it cooler.

I keep mine in my laser but do keep the standby's in the refrigerator.

Zeebit

I remove mine as a safety precaution. I don't want to accidentally shoot my eyes out.

Alkalines - bad idea to leave them in for long periods. Ruined a pointer of mine because they leaked and shorted everything out.

I keep the batteries in most of my lasers if I am actively using them which means if I am using them 2-3 times a week. There is .01% chance of my lasers falling in to the hands of an unexperienced user so that's not a concern for me. Although when certain friends are around I do remove the batteries. :tsk::tsk:

I keep the batteries in my Sabre all the time, actually.

It's a bit of a hassle to move 'em around a lot, and my family and everybody else with access to the laser is very well instructed into the arts of NOT TOUCHING the damned laser when I'm not around.

Aside from that, no other lasers to report :eek: But I generally do keep batteries in 'em.

I leave mine in but none of mine are high powered. The high powered I am building will need a key to operate so it falling into the wrong hans win't be a problem.

What is everyones opinion as far as negative effects on the laser as a result of leaving the batteries in.