Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Do you carry your laser as self defense at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Do you carry your laser as self defense at nig

The problem with using a laser for self defense is that it can actually be hard to hit the attacker directly in the eyes if they are charging at you or up close. The idea behind the photonic disruptor from wickedlasers is that you can diverge the beam to cover the opponents entire face and effectively dazzle them.

Another problem with using a laser for self defense is the chance of getting sued. If you blind someone they can sue the crap out of you and it is your story against theirs, while if their dead... ::)

Oh, here we go again! ;D I started a similar thread in the general section a month or so back, it deviated to guns and knifes in a blink of an eye! Anyway, I always carry my x-75 with me, but I would never rely on it for self defense, I guess I would bust it out if the situation called for it, but I don't think I would think about it in a serious situation, unless they were at a distance and I had to grab their attention or something, but then I'd probably just yell "A!" or something.

Coherent said:
The problem with using a laser for self defense is that it can actually be hard to hit the attacker directly in the eyes if they are charging at you or up close.  The idea behind the photonic disruptor from wickedlasers is that you can diverge the beam to cover the opponents entire face and effectively dazzle them.
well my green laser is focusable so I can make a dot the size of their head if I want lol.

styropyro said:
Another problem with using a laser for self defense is the chance of getting sued. If you blind someone they can sue the crap out of you and it is your story against theirs, while if their dead... ::)
if someone is trying to mug/kill/steal from you using a weapon do you think they would win the lawsuit? not to mention, there is a pretty good chance that anyone trying to mug you doesn't have a lawyer. Also, what criminal would be stupid enough to bring this into court knowing that they were the ones trying to harm you? (yes i know, there are people that will do that, but not many)

I always take a 5mW with me, but I don't think I would ever be able to use it like this. :P

In some ways I'd be much more worried about having my laser stolen by a robber than the notion that I might be able to defend myself with it.  IMO the best defense is to simply be aware of your surroundings and of course avoid bad areas if at all possible.  If I did have to go to a bad area, I would either take someone with me or take one (or both) of my dogs.  Most crooks won't attack people in pairs or groups, and very, very few will risk being bitten or attacked by a dog.

Here's one of my occasional defenses (in my car and on the street, wherever dogs are allowed, of course!)

c15.jpg

And the other one:
713.jpg

those dogs seem friendly enough ;D

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the dual-purpose LG Hercules. It is a very powerful, stable laser, but it can also be used as a self defense bat! ;D

I don't always carry my lasers around with me, but I guess if for whatever reason I had them then I would use them as self defense.

Liberty1992 said:
i wish i could change my response to yes, i can blind them, and when they're disoriented i can hit em over the head, my 20mW green is heavy
i changed it so now you can :)

mikeeey said:
[quote author=Liberty1992 link=1224005167/20#24 date=1224919774]i wish i could change my response to yes, i can blind them, and when they're disoriented i can hit em over the head, my 20mW green is heavy
i changed it so now you can :)[/quote]
time has passed and i would still keep no, lol, but i did consider it for a minute or two, lol. now i would just blind them with my 120Lumen Dorcy and then that would be the end of it.

Even if you can't shine it in their eyes, you can still take it out and whack the person really hard and knock them out. ;)

Absolutely not. I have a firearm and a permit to carry. Laser vs Firearm... :-?

Now my firearm, strapped to my side at all times. Except for when I'm at work. Work at a university and it's federal law, no firearms at a school.

Using a laser for protection is a Super hollywood scam. Never do that.
Never take a knife or laser to a gunfight. I simply carry my trusted Walther PPKs at all times. --- Weeeelll - sometimes a 45 Colt Peacemaker :D

Mike

Hemlock Mike said:
Using a laser for protection is a Super hollywood scam.  Never do that.
Never take a knife or laser to a gunfight.  I simply carry my trusted Walther PPKs at all times.   --- Weeeelll - sometimes a 45 Colt Peacemaker :D

Mike

Mike, a 45 isn't use to make Peace. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back