Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you ALWAYS wear safety glasses?

Razako

I wear them depending on what I'm doing with the laser. Generally I always wear them if I'm using a >100mw laser inside or using a laser to burn stuff. I never wear them outside or when pointing my laser out the window/off the balcony.

I always wear eye protection for any Class IIIb or Class IV laser. I don't use any lasers outside except on a single occasion where I wanted to compare a 1W and a 100mW beam shooting across the yard.

I'm with Razako in this one, It depends on what I am doing. If using a 100mw+ laser inside, I always wear them, and during burning and experiments, too. But outside? Only when I am standing close to the beam, otherwise never. Definitley not at far distance pointing (it would be a little hard to see the dot).

Only with INVISIBLE lasers or visible lasers >25mW and blu rays >5mW in cases where a back reflection is likely.

iewed

Unless I'm looking at the dot/beam of a >100mW up close, I only wear my goggles while burning things with my laser.

This should be in the safety subforum.

I always wear goggles for my IIIb lasers if there is a risk of getting a direct hit or specular reflection and when looking at the spot at close range (burning). At night when I want to see the beam and I position the laser on a solid base and point it at the sky, I don't use them. Using common sense is always better then blindly following generic instructions.

Other than my x50, I don't even own any high powered lasers. And because of how bright the x50 is, I don't use it inside anyway, it's strictly an outside laser.

Now when I get some serious lasers, like a half watt 808 or something, I'll NEVER use it without glasses.

Ace82

I'm sorry, I guess I'm a topic nazi today, but "Red lasers"? How about "safety"? :-?

Anyway, this is a repeated question, but I didn't reply just to be an A-hole.

I use my safety glasses only to look like a scientist because I really don't care about my eyes. ;D Seriously, it depends on the application. If anybody cares about my openion, you can find it http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1210013398] here. [/url]

I think that he posted it here because there was a discussion about safety and glasses in a topic in the red lases section. Then he forgot to change the section with his new topic.

But I agree with you Ace, c0ld should move this topic to where it really belongs, the "safety" section.

I think that it is a little frightening that so many people NEVER uses safety glasses, 9 out of 22 voters ATM!

No, but Im buying some right now from SenKat.

I only just got my 200mW DX (replacement) today and its slightly underpowered, but hey, you only get one pair of eyes.

I always use them with my CO2 or YAG (which would be extremely foolish not to - especially the YAG), and sometimes with the visible light lasers. The sometimes cases are mostly for burning things, otherwise no.

LazerGuy said:
I think that he posted it here because there was a discussion about safety and glasses in a topic in the red lases section. Then he forgot to change the section with his new topic.

But I agree with you Ace, c0ld should move this topic to where it really belongs, the "safety" section.

I think that it is a little frightening that so many people NEVER uses safety glasses, 9 out of 22 voters ATM!

That's exactly what happened. By the way..who are the mods on the forum? Come to think of it, I haven't really seen them.

When ever I am doing any burning or anything an intelligent person would wear them you bet I have them on.  If I am outside or there is no chance of reflection or direct danger I don't have them.  But whether I have the glasses on or off I am always extremely careful and respect the power of the ~300 mW RPL :)

PharmD4

chido

Just when I'm burning up close or when there's a risk of a reflection hitting my eyes.