Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you ALWAYS wear safety glasses?

Razako

I wear them depending on what I'm doing with the laser. Generally I always wear them if I'm using a >100mw laser inside or using a laser to burn stuff. I never wear them outside or when pointing my laser out the window/off the balcony.

I always wear eye protection for any Class IIIb or Class IV laser. I don't use any lasers outside except on a single occasion where I wanted to compare a 1W and a 100mW beam shooting across the yard.

I'm with Razako in this one, It depends on what I am doing. If using a 100mw+ laser inside, I always wear them, and during burning and experiments, too. But outside? Only when I am standing close to the beam, otherwise never. Definitley not at far distance pointing (it would be a little hard to see the dot).

Only with INVISIBLE lasers or visible lasers >25mW and blu rays >5mW in cases where a back reflection is likely.

iewed

Unless I'm looking at the dot/beam of a >100mW up close, I only wear my goggles while burning things with my laser.

This should be in the safety subforum.

I always wear goggles for my IIIb lasers if there is a risk of getting a direct hit or specular reflection and when looking at the spot at close range (burning). At night when I want to see the beam and I position the laser on a solid base and point it at the sky, I don't use them. Using common sense is always better then blindly following generic instructions.

Other than my x50, I don't even own any high powered lasers. And because of how bright the x50 is, I don't use it inside anyway, it's strictly an outside laser.

Now when I get some serious lasers, like a half watt 808 or something, I'll NEVER use it without glasses.

Ace82

I'm sorry, I guess I'm a topic nazi today, but "Red lasers"? How about "safety"? :-?

Anyway, this is a repeated question, but I didn't reply just to be an A-hole.

I use my safety glasses only to look like a scientist because I really don't care about my eyes. ;D Seriously, it depends on the application. If anybody cares about my openion, you can find it http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1210013398] here. [/url]

I think that he posted it here because there was a discussion about safety and glasses in a topic in the red lases section. Then he forgot to change the section with his new topic.

But I agree with you Ace, c0ld should move this topic to where it really belongs, the "safety" section.

I think that it is a little frightening that so many people NEVER uses safety glasses, 9 out of 22 voters ATM!

No, but Im buying some right now from SenKat.

I only just got my 200mW DX (replacement) today and its slightly underpowered, but hey, you only get one pair of eyes.

I always use them with my CO2 or YAG (which would be extremely foolish not to - especially the YAG), and sometimes with the visible light lasers. The sometimes cases are mostly for burning things, otherwise no.

LazerGuy said:
I think that he posted it here because there was a discussion about safety and glasses in a topic in the red lases section. Then he forgot to change the section with his new topic.

But I agree with you Ace, c0ld should move this topic to where it really belongs, the "safety" section.

I think that it is a little frightening that so many people NEVER uses safety glasses, 9 out of 22 voters ATM!

That's exactly what happened. By the way..who are the mods on the forum? Come to think of it, I haven't really seen them.

When ever I am doing any burning or anything an intelligent person would wear them you bet I have them on.  If I am outside or there is no chance of reflection or direct danger I don't have them.  But whether I have the glasses on or off I am always extremely careful and respect the power of the ~300 mW RPL :)

PharmD4

chido

Just when I'm burning up close or when there's a risk of a reflection hitting my eyes.